Font Differences Between Demo and App Store Versions

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book II
Akiva
Initiate

Font Differences Between Demo and App Store Versions

Post by Akiva »

This morning, I downloaded the demo, played for an hour, drooled a lot, and blacked out due to too much euphoria. When I awoke, I decided to buy the game immediately through the App Store because I'm a slave to Demilich Jobs.

First thing I noticed is that the font for all of the in-game text is different. In the demo, it's a pleasing fantasy-themed font but in the App Store version, it is as plain as Verdana.

Is there an issue with the App Store version? Is there some kind of conflict between the downloaded demo (the folder of which I trashed) and the App Store version? It does actually detract from the experience, this plain sans-serif font, but I don't want to have to spend $19.99 again just to get it.

I'll keep playing, of course. But I'll cry every time I see that font. Every. Time.

Edited to add:
• It's showing version 1.05.1 [MacAppStore].
• I verified this isn't a conflict with the demo by installing it from the App Store on a second computer.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Font Differences Between Demo and App Store Versions

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Hmm. There shouldn't be a difference. I'll take a look and let you know. There may be a simple fix.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Akiva
Initiate

Post by Akiva »

Excellent, thanks.

Great game, by the way. Other than Minecraft, this is the most I've played a game since my son was born last August.
Akiva
Initiate

Post by Akiva »

No luck with a quick fix?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Nope. It is definitely just a minor bug, but there is not a quick fix.

Is has to do with the fact that the game cannot determine if it is running in English or not. Notice on the main menu, it says "Language:" and then it is blank. Because the game cannot determine if it's running in English, it defaults to a font that can support additional (non-English) characters.

I will have to fix it and upload a new version, but it probably won't happen for a couple weeks.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Akiva
Initiate

Post by Akiva »

Ah, disappointing but understandable. I messed around with the Language settings in OS X but to no avail. I'll look forward to the update.