Not installing

Linux support forums for Eschalon: Book II
synthecin
Apprentice

Not installing

Post by synthecin »

Hi
I was all excited that there was a linux version, I didn't take the time to notice that it was specifically for Ubuntu, and purchase it.
I have now received the CD and find that it doesn't seem to like Mandriva 2010 very much.

I have unzipped it into it's own folder, but when I clickk on "Eschalon_book_2" nothing happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions as what to do?

Thanks Nic
phaedrus
Apprentice

Re: Not installing

Post by phaedrus »

synthecin wrote:Hi
I was all excited that there was a linux version, I didn't take the time to notice that it was specifically for Ubuntu, and purchase it.
I have now received the CD and find that it doesn't seem to like Mandriva 2010 very much.

I have unzipped it into it's own folder, but when I clickk on "Eschalon_book_2" nothing happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions as what to do?
Open a terminal and try running it from the command line. See what error pops up.

A quick google says that Mandriva 2010 uses glibc 2.10.1, so you are probably having this problem. If I'm right, you should see a message which says something like:

Code: Select all

./eschalon_book_2: /lib32/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by ./eschalon_book_2)
If you get a "file not found" type of error, that means you're running a 64-bit distro without any 32-bit libraries installed.

Basically, you need a 32-bit distro (or a 64-bit multilib distro with 32-bit libs installed) which has glibc 2.11 packages. (Lot's of distros work. I've got it running on Slackware 13.1, a few guys have Fedora, Arch, Gentoo and others working.)
obiwan
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Re: Not installing

Post by obiwan »

Or, you use a workaround (at least until 1.04 is released) as I posted in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3531

(basically it is downloading a newer glibc from any source you want, install it in a local dir, and forcing the game to use that library instead of the system one).