Unofficial Eschalon: Book III FAQ

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

Unofficial Eschalon: Book III FAQ

Post by Prismatic Maelstrom »

Where can I download the latest version of Eschalon: Book III?

If you purchased Book III from Basilisk Games you can download the latest version from here. If you purchased from a digital distributor you should download the game using their software or website.

Version notes for Book III can be found in this topic.

Was a game editor made available to the public?

Basilisk Games planned to release developer tools to the community sometime after the release of Book III but because of disappointing sales it was dropped. (Ref) An unofficial map editor created by community member xolotl that works for Book I and II has been updated by SpottedShroom to support Book III files and it can be downloaded from here.

Were any expansions released?

No expansions have been released for Book III. There was an expansion planned that would have been similar to "The Secret of Fathamurk" expansion from Book II but because of disappointing sales all focus is now on the next game from Basilisk Games. (Ref)

Can I play Eschalon: Book III in another language?

A French translation was finished by community member madeba and can be downloaded from here.

Where can I find my saved games?

On the main menu where you can start a new game click on the text at the bottom of the screen and you will be given the location of your saved games.

I purchased Eschalon: Book III from Basilisk Games and have lost the email that contains my registration code. How can I recover my code?

If you are absolutely certain that you have lost the email that contained your registration code you will need to email Basilisk Games for a reminder. Contact details can be found here.

So you can be identified as a legitimate owner of Book III you should share in your email your full name, email address and Zip/Postal Code that you used when you made your purchase.
Last edited by Prismatic Maelstrom on November 23rd, 2014, 5:58 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

Re: Unofficial Eschalon: Book III FAQ

When playing Book III you can hold the TAB button down on your keyboard and the coordinates for your mouse cursor will be shown. A few of the answers below come with coordinates.

If you cannot find what you are looking for then please browse the Book III Forum or use the search query.

=================================
General Game Help
=================================

Where can I find all the secret areas?
[+] SPOILER
Secret Area #1 (Weeping Mountain) - Head southwest from the cooled lava flow and when the path turns north there is a concealed path going south.

Secret Area #2 (Rockhammer) - Head towards Rockhammer Mine and at the two mine carts next to the entrance go east and follow the morass trees. When you come across a pool of water there is a path going west next to the flaming torch.

Secret Area #3 (Baasilt Dunes) - Head southwest along the shore from where you find Lilith and go west past the rocks.

Secret Area #4 (Rockhammer Mine) - Head southwest from Logi Mooredux and follow the rocks past the break room. When you come across two chairs next to a campfire head northwest to the wall. On the left side of this wall is a concealed path that will take you behind the wall.

Secret Area #5 (Wrecked Ship, Level 2) - Destroy the reinforced door northwest of the floor hatch to reach the secret area.

Secret Area #6 (Elderoak Forest) - This secret area is inside the crypt surrounded by seven gravestones on the Nidaria side of the river.

Secret Area #7 (Rockhammer) - Make your way through Mirkland Pass in Southern Boglands and look out for a wooden fence before you leave the Rockhammer area for Deadman's Strand. Destroy the wooden fence and continue on to reach the secret area.

Secret Area #8 (Moonrise) - Head east from where you find Lilith in the Baasilt Dunes and follow the rocks into the next map which will be Southern Boglands. Continue east and when you come across a barrel head north into the next map to reach the secret area.

Secret Area #9 (Moonrise) - This secret area is in the graveyard north of where Shepherd Nickolas is in the Temple of Rai. To reach this area you can destroy or pick lock the door in the house near the temple. Alternatively you can destroy the wooden fence near Kirk Strongarm at his blacksmith.

Secret Area #10 (Moonrise Underground) - Talk to Baelgar and ask him about authorization. You will then be teleported to 'The Pit' in Atrox Deep. Do not attempt this secret area until you have been to Atrox Deep, opened the portcullis with the slider lock and flipped the wooden lever between the double portcullis room in such a way that you can escape later. You will be permanently stuck otherwise.

Secret Area #11 (Mirkland) - Head to the southeast corner of the map and go west along the shore until you see a chest behind some rocks.

Secret Area #12 (East Mirkland Delta) - Head to the southeast corner of Mirkland and go east along the shore into the next map which will be East Mirkland Delta. Continue east along the shore until you come across a rusting anvil.

Secret Area #13 (Deadman's Strand) - Update soon.

Secret Area #14 (Omentor Temple) - Update soon.

Secret Area #15 (Omentor Temple) - Update soon.

Secret Area #16 (East Mirkland Delta) - Update soon.

Secret Area #17 (Castle by the Sea) - Update soon.

Secret Area #18 (Castle Dungeon) - Update soon.

Secret Area #19 (Macross Point) - Update soon.

Secret Area #20 (Moonrise) - Update soon.

Secret Area #21 (Elderoak Forest) - Update soon.

Secret Area #22 (Elderoak Forest) - Update soon.

Secret Area #23 (East Mirkland Delta) - Update soon.

Secret Area #24 (Lair of the Emayu Witch) - Update soon.

Secret Area #25 (Valley of the Wanderer) - Update soon.

Secret Area #26 (Western Astral Range) - Update soon.

Secret Area #27 (Oceana Lowlands) - Update soon.

Secret Area #28 (Warlord's Pass) - Update soon.

Secret Area #29 (Macross Point) - Update soon.

Secret Area #30 (Eastern Astral Range) - Update soon.
How many skill trainers will I encounter during the game? What can they teach me and where can I find them?
[+] SPOILER
There are six trainers with sixteen skills available for training. The skills are Mercantile, Lore, Pick Locks, Alchemy, Medicine, Meditation, Bow Weapons, Cartography, Forage, Light Armor, Heavy Armor, Shields, Swords, Cleaving Weapons, Bludgeoning Weapons and Elemental. You can make use of a trainer if your character doesn't know or has less than eight points in a skill.

Mercantile, Lore and Pick Locks are taught by Leisle in her tavern at Rockhammer. Leisle will offer to train you after you have collected Logi's bar tab.

Alchemy, Medicine and Meditation are taught by Madam Gilda at her cabin northeast from the Seawarden's Guild. Madam Gilda will offer to train you after you have rescued her kitten.

Bow Weapons, Cartography and Foraging are taught by Alywin at the Shadowgrove Rangers encampment in Elderoak Forest. To reach this encampment head southeast from the geo marker until you find a bridge but instead of crossing it head southwest along the river. Alywin will offer to train you after you have found out the meaning of the odd note Ranimer gives you.

Light Armor, Heavy Armor and Shields are taught by Kirk in Moonrise north of the geo marker. You are not required to complete any quest to receive training from Kirk.

Swords, Cleaving Weapons and Bludgeoning Weapons are taught by Shrock in Old Moonrise southeast of the geo marker. Shrock will offer to train you when you show him your Deadly Skills Permit which you can obtain by clearing out the Seawarden's Guild for him or by purchasing one from Dannia at the Blackened Bone Tavern for 500 gold.

Elemental is taught by Valx Grayraven in Old Moonrise south of the geo marker. Valx will offer to train you when you bring him some Troll Teeth.
=============================
Early Game Help
=============================

I have convinced Seamus in Rockhammer to craft me a weapon or a piece of armor if I can find him a "Crafting Hammer". Where can I find one?
[+] SPOILER
You can find a Crafting Hammer on the first level of the wrecked ship in Southern Boglands. The item is inside a chest next to the ladder for the next level. If you have already sold or misplaced this item you can find another one on the second level of Rockhammer Mine in the chest southeast from the sign that warns you about the guard dogs.
I want to explore the Seawarden's Guild but the entrance is closed. How do I open the entrance?
[+] SPOILER
There are two wells near the Seawarden's Guild that have odd hand cranks that must be turned to open the entrance. The first well is northeast of the Seawarden's Guild near the geo marker. The second well is southwest of the Seawarden's Guild.
Shelta has asked me to deliver a note to a Ranger at a secret encampment in Elderoak Forest but I cannot find the encampment. Where is it?
[+] SPOILER
To reach this encampment head southeast from the geo marker until you find a bridge but instead of crossing it head southwest along the river and follow the flame torches.
After telling Ranimer in Elderoak Forest I would investigate the odd note found in Baizel's cabin I have traveled to her cabin and found a book atop a pedestal with a riddle. What is the answer?
[+] SPOILER
The answer is Spirits.

The odd note Ranimer gave you mentions The Snows of May which is a book you can find in a couple of locations or from random loot. A cabinet in one of the rest rooms at the Blackened Bone Tavern in Old Moonrise contains one of these books. Compare the odd note and the book and you will find the answer.
Inside Baizel's cabin in Elderoak Forest there is a chest sitting upon some kind of floor plate. Next to the chest is a plaque that shows a number inside a trapezoid. What do I need to do?
[+] SPOILER
Put exactly 5.0 lbs of weight into the chest and a secret door will open in the cabin.
I require a "Sigil of Fire". Where can I find one?
[+] SPOILER
A Sigil of Fire can be found in Southern Boglands just inside the entrance of the Seawarden's Guild on the body with blue trousers. If you have already sold or misplaced this item you can find it in a handful of other locations. On such location is in the southwest of Baasilt Dunes where you will find one inside a giant clam next to a skeleton.
How many cells can I open up in the Gildedmoon Repository?
[+] SPOILER
You can open cells 07, 10, 13 and 22 if you have the relevant pendant in your inventory.

Gildedmoon Pendant 7 can be found in the lower level of the Seawarden's Guild in Southern Boglands. This item is inside the chest in the room that contains several large metallic containers.

Gildedmoon Pendant 10 can be found in the Goblin encampment in Oceana Lowlands which is north of Ottoman's Castle. This item is inside the chest at the bottom right of the encampment.

Gildedmoon Pendant 13 can be found in Baizel's cabin in Elderoak Forest. This item is inside the ceramic vessel at the back of the cabin and can only be accessed after you have solved the puzzle with the chest.

Gildedmoon Pendant 22 can be found in the dungeon underneath Ottoman's Castle. This item is inside a chest beyond the trapped room with the three pressure plates.
================================
Middle Game Help
================================

I have killed the Akadai Kingspawn in East Mirkland Delta and took the "Akadai Gland" in the chest at the back of his chamber. What do I do with this item?
[+] SPOILER
The Akadai Gland is needed to enter the Akadai Underworld underneath Mirkland. Interact with the strange-looking water plant on the west side of Mirkland at coordinates X=11 and Y=117 when you have the item in your inventory.
While traveling through the Oceana Lowlands I have found a corridor built into the mountains that has a slider lock at the end. Near the slider lock is a plaque that contains a riddle. What is the combination?
[+] SPOILER
The combination for the slider lock is a randomly generated number that can be seen northwest of the plaque on your automap when you cast the Elemental spell Reveal Map.
After reaching the other side of the river in Elderoak Forest I have found a crypt surrounded by seven gravestones but the entrance is closed off with a portcullis. How do I get inside?
[+] SPOILER
There is a wooden lever south of the crypt on the other side of the river that will open the portcullis when used. Head southeast from the geo marker until you find a bridge. Cross the bridge and head northeast to the broken bridge and make your way east along the river.
Edgar has asked me to find "Bittersting" for him so that he might finally rest. Where can I find this weapon?
[+] SPOILER
Bittersting can be found in the Gildedmoon Repository underneath Moonrise in the chamber that is owned by Master Warren. To open his chamber you need the Diamond Key which is in his crypt at the Eastern Astral Range.
While exploring Omentor Temple I have found a sketch that appears to show a machine part. Next to the sketch is a strange machine. Where can I find the part?
[+] SPOILER
The Titanium Gear Widget can be found on the second level of the wrecked ship in Southern Boglands. This item is inside the chest next to the wall map of Eschalon.

The Chromium Spring Widget can be found in the Gildedmoon Repository underneath Moonrise in a chest inside cell 13. The pendant required to open this cell can be found inside the ceramic vessel at the back of Baizel's cabin in Elderoak Forest and can only be accessed after you have solved the puzzle with the chest.

The Tungsten Bracket Widget can be found in the Akadai Underworld which is underneath Mirkland. This item is inside a leathery egg case in the southwest section at coordinates X=34 and Y=153.

The Platinum Bolt Widget can be found in the dungeon underneath Ottoman's Castle. This item is inside a chest beyond the trapped room with the three pressure plates.
============================
Late Game Help
============================

I have found a forgotten crypt in the Eastern Astral Range that contains a book atop a pedestal with a riddle. What is the answer?
[+] SPOILER
The answer is Dead Thieves Cant Steal.

Each group of letters from the sentence "Deda Tihvees Cnta Slaet" has to be rearranged to form words.
I have entered Alundar's Dungeon in search of Karamiklan but the main hallway is sealed off with two separate metal gates. Next to the metal gates are slider locks. What are the combinations?
[+] SPOILER
The number for the slider locks are 3551 and 2783.

In the northeast section of the dungeon you will come across a book atop a pedestal that gives you a couple of clues. There are three adjacent rooms and each room has a painting with a description that contains a number. You must add these numbers up to get the combination for the first slider lock.

On the opposite side of the dungeon you will find exactly the same setup. You must once again add the numbers up from the painting descriptions but this time minus the answer from the combination of the first slider lock to get the answer for the last slider lock.
How many ways can I complete Book III?
[+] SPOILER
There are two endings. The player can choose to side with Erubor or Malkur during the battle that takes place at Macross Point.
Last edited by Prismatic Maelstrom on May 27th, 2014, 4:10 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

Re: Unofficial Eschalon: Book III FAQ

Please do not post in this thread

If you have any comments or suggestions about this topic then please private message me instead.