lair of the Emayu Witch

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
jongamez
Initiate

lair of the Emayu Witch

Post by jongamez »

i can't seem to find a way to open the portcullis room with pentagram and a switch.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: lair of the Emayu Witch

Post by Randomizer »

You need to go down the other way and find a switch at the end of the passage after a few fights. Some switches need to be hit by missile weapon or spell.
jongamez
Initiate

Post by jongamez »

other way? I'm talking about the dungeon that opens up after writing in the book, not sure of another way?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Once you go downstairs there are two ways from the trap area. The left way opens after going instead to the right and fighting past skeletons, opening a portcullis by using spell or missile weapon to open the switch. Then more fighting until you reach the final switch.
SK36
Pledge

Post by SK36 »

So, i've not used any of my skill points at all for bows or magic.
I got stuck in this lair and i feared that without a bow i may be screwed because it occurred to me that shooting the levers may be the only possible way to proceed.
From doing some googling and this thread here i fear my game is screwed already? iam level 8 and have zero skills with the bow or with magic(or throwing) so there is no way for me to hit the levers.
The only bow i found i sold, as well as all the arrows i have come across.

Iam not sure if there are any other quests that i can yet do? Every direction that i go seems to be a dead end.

So is it true then that without a bow or magic i cannot proceed?

I guess maybe if iam lucky i can learn a bow skill from someone(cant remember if that skill was one of the ones offered) and buy a bow if i've got enough gold and stuff to sell..

Kind of annoying that there would be a quest(s) where it is impossible without learning such skills seeing as i chose to be a fighter/barbarian.

EDIT: Well no one in Moonrise or Old Moonrise or in Rockhammer teach the bow skill. But thankfully one of the mages in Moonrise sells the Rangers amulet (bow +2).
Thought my problems were solved when i had just enough gold for the pendant, a cheap bow and 30 arrows. And yet i cannot hit any of the levers anyhow as i cant get into a position to have the angle for the shot?....(not sure if you can reduce the size of the minimap?)

Man this part of the game is bloody hard. First i was stuck because i thought the number 5 by the chest in the witches cabin was related to the strange note the rangers gave me and to the secret word.
That really threw me off trying to figure out what the number 5 and the poem on the note had in common..
Had to google and found that they were not related and about the book "The snows of may" which i had already read and sold earlier.
Found someone had posted the full poem in the book and still couldn't figure it out so got the secret word from a forum also.
Felt really dissatisfied with myself for using a forum on the chest puzzle and to obtain the secret word (especially seeing as i've seen that same puzzle with the chest in another game) but it not being initially empty and the secret word thing just threw me off.
Then i seemed too weak to kill the skeletons before i found a good trick. And now this...
Dam it.

2ND EDIT: Ok so i could not get a shot on the lever to the left when i went past the traps by the stairs entrance but when i went back right where i was earlier where the lever skeletons are and past the coffins towards the big gate where the skeleton archers are i was able to shoot the explosive barrel. Hopefully now i can stop ranting here now and stop googling lol ^^;;

3RD EDIT: i just realized HOURS later that Alywin can train you bow skills ^^; dam that would have been cheaper but at least the pendant is also dexterity +2.
(i forgot to go back and speak to Reiner after solving the letter)
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

You don't need bow skill to use a bow, do you? You ought to be able to hit a lever even if you have no idea what you're doing. There are also various thrown weapons you could use.
SK36
Pledge

Post by SK36 »

SpottedShroom wrote: July 3rd, 2017, 7:27 pm You don't need bow skill to use a bow, do you? You ought to be able to hit a lever even if you have no idea what you're doing. There are also various thrown weapons you could use.
Ah i guess i just assumed that you would need those skills in order to use a bow or a throwing item. Didn't actually try to before doing so(learning skill/equipping an item taht gives you that skill).

Now the thing iam stuck on that is making me rage is trying to refil my lantern.... I have lamp oil and a wick but no matter what i do i cant get it to work. Itr always blows up and tells me to be careful what i mix.... but my alchemy skill is zero so maybe that is why?...

EDIT: just found the recipe for it in the Rockhammer mines. I must have over looked it before. Though ah now it should work. Nope still explodes.....

2ND EDIT: This game continues to do my head in... I found the weapon "Bonedust" i can equip it and yet my character appears unarmed and attacks with his bare fist??? seriously wtf?..
3RD EDIT: i do seem to get the bonuses when having it equipped? maybe it's just a bug/glitch that it appears iam unarmed when iam using it?
4TH EDIT(lol): just want to add that despite me expressing frustrations i really am loving this game.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Even refilling a lantern requires some alchemy, but I can't find it in my notes so it's probably one level.
SK36
Pledge

Post by SK36 »

Randomizer wrote: July 7th, 2017, 1:32 pm Even refilling a lantern requires some alchemy, but I can't find it in my notes so it's probably one level.
Yeah i found a forum about book 2 and said no level required but in this game that's no so i guess.