Shrock (Spoilers?)

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Nysyarc
Initiate

Shrock (Spoilers?)

Post by Nysyarc »

So I've already searched several forums including this one and can't figure out why, short of a bug, Shrock is hostile towards me. I enter Old Moonrise from the underground for the first time ever and walk straight to his shop without interacting with anything, but he's already hostile towards me and attacks when I approach. People mentioned charm flasks in past threads, so I bought a couple and all they do is make him "fight to defend me" (he also witnesses me committing a crime when I throw one at him). He actually starts to attack himself as a result of this, which is a documented bug in another thread here.

Nobody else in Old Moonrise is hostile towards me, not even the wizard a lot of other people seem to have hostility issues with. There are only two possibilities I can think of:

1) I have looted several outdoor barrels in "new" Moonrise, but I can't revert back that far in my saves, and none of the other townsfolk seem to care, not even guards who were standing right next to me when I did it. I have otherwise not committed a single crime in the Moonrise area.

2) I already cleared out the Seawarden's Guild, which I believe is the quest that Shrock is supposed to give you (only discovered this while searching for info on my predicament). I don't see why this would make him hostile though.

Anyone else have this issue or know why it happens?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Shrock (Spoilers?)

Post by SpottedShroom »

This is a fairly common problem, and is documented on the bugs list. Basically, in order to support the finale (no spoilers if you haven't gotten there yet) BW had to increase the distance that NPCs can see. As a result, Shrock can see you looting stuff from way off screen if there's line of sight.

If he survives attacking himself until the Charm effect wears off, Shrock will be friendly again. You could also use the map editor to set him back to being friendly.
Nysyarc
Initiate

Post by Nysyarc »

Okay, I didn't actually try waiting out the charm effect, I don't know why I didn't just think of that. Thank you for that suggestion, I didn't want to resort to using a map editor or anything like that.

Does their line of sight extend past the world borders in their region though (serious question, I don't know how bad the bug is)? Because I have committed a few crimes but never in Moonrise... unless looting barrels in the streets is a crime, but again, none of the other NPCs seemed to mind, even when I was in plain sight.
~ Nysyarc ~
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Nysyarc wrote:Okay, I didn't actually try waiting out the charm effect, I don't know why I didn't just think of that. Thank you for that suggestion, I didn't want to resort to using a map editor or anything like that.

Does their line of sight extend past the world borders in their region though (serious question, I don't know how bad the bug is)? Because I have committed a few crimes but never in Moonrise... unless looting barrels in the streets is a crime, but again, none of the other NPCs seemed to mind, even when I was in plain sight.
I think NPCs in Moonrise sometimes get upset about you looting clams or chests on the mainland (though still on the Moonrise map).
lilwoofer
Senior Steward

Post by lilwoofer »

And yes, looting barrels and chests in Moonrise/Old Moonrise is offensive to some. My first encounter was with the guard that hangs out by the priests doorway. i touched the barrel to the south and east corner wall and voila, I was attacked! Thank the beings above that I had just saved. And I also encountered Shrock hating me when I attacked the gambling man a bit north in the not-completely-walled-off building that separates the two men. He was not on screen in any manner but when I killed the gambler, Shrock then accosted me, having me reboot again! So, I say in warning, pay attention to the dialogue box below your character. THAT was how I found out that Lillith could also see you when she was off screen whilst I tried to pry open an oyster!
I will stay an initiate, please,let the officers, lieutenants, etc. do the brain work, I will be the grunt! GRRRR-Unt!
lilwoofer
Senior Steward

Post by lilwoofer »

Oh, and the wizard also sees when you blow up the red vase a bit to the NW of him.
I will stay an initiate, please,let the officers, lieutenants, etc. do the brain work, I will be the grunt! GRRRR-Unt!