Savefile Character / Map Editor v1.0.1 (April 15, 2014)

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Minsk
Apprentice

Re: Savefile Character / Map Editor

Post by Minsk »

Thanks !
The above code could either be put at the end of the script that took you into the dungeon, or maybe on a floor activated script (Object Type 14), Book II also has a proximity object.
Is it possible to have this "Object Type 14" activate only once ?
Because it looks like the script triggers everytime you step on this position.

EDIT:
Oh, about the letter, where would you enter the script text for it ?
Into "Action Script" under "Misc Attributes" ?
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Post by raverdave2k »

Minsk wrote:Thanks !
The above code could either be put at the end of the script that took you into the dungeon, or maybe on a floor activated script (Object Type 14), Book II also has a proximity object.
Is it possible to have this "Object Type 14" activate only once ?
Because it looks like the script triggers everytime you step on this position.
yep, just add a destroy_script command to the end of the line.
Minsk wrote: Oh, about the letter, where would you enter the script text for it ?
Into "Action Script" under "Misc Attributes" ?
Spot on
My modifications for Eschalon Book I: RaverDave's Book I Mod
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

All previous versions avaliable here
Minsk
Apprentice

Post by Minsk »

Wow, you can actually do a lot with this editor !

About the notes and letters...what object type do you have to use to get a READ action (this green text you see) with right-click ?
I dont see Note,Book or something...
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Post by raverdave2k »

I had actualy only done books / letters in Book II which does have "Book" option. Just done a quick experiment though and it seems if you use the n/a option between Gold and Special you get a READ option :)
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

Minsk
Apprentice

Post by Minsk »

I have tried to get a "real" NPC that will give quests to the player and this is what i currently have:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-408 ... t.zip.html

You will see a NPC and two red-marked spots (these are no traps !). Step on one of these to get a quest. If you have complete a Quest just step on a spot left or right of the NPC and the Quest will be completed !

I would like to get some feedback and ideas how to do it better.
I though of letters that coul replace the quest-log. So uf you accept a quest a letter is added to your inventory that tells you what to do, this letter could be removed as soon as the quest is completed.
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Post by raverdave2k »

Minsk wrote:I have tried to get a "real" NPC that will give quests to the player and this is what i currently have:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-408 ... t.zip.html

You will see a NPC and two red-marked spots (these are no traps !). Step on one of these to get a quest. If you have complete a Quest just step on a spot left or right of the NPC and the Quest will be completed !

I would like to get some feedback and ideas how to do it better.
I though of letters that coul replace the quest-log. So uf you accept a quest a letter is added to your inventory that tells you what to do, this letter could be removed as soon as the quest is completed.
Just had a quick try, I do like the way that the conversation is initiated by standing in front of him, never thought of that, I do notice that if you click on him it says he's dead and can't talk but personly I could probably live with that. Though I think the tiles look a bit off being read, you should just make them look like normal tiles.

With regards to being given a letter if you accept a quest, while you can check for and remove custom items via script you can't give them so the letter would need to be in a chest as you've done with your note or perhaps left amongst papers on some ones desk (If you take a look at my Book II mod you will see I have done something like this using a book left on a desk), in fact now I've worked out the creating custom items thing I was considering redoing my Book I mod as a savegame version then I can have keys instead of codes, if I did I would probably add in having to pick up a letter before the boat to the island would work.

Minsk
Apprentice

Post by Minsk »

raverdave2k wrote: Just had a quick try, I do like the way that the conversation is initiated by standing in front of him, never thought of that, I do notice that if you click on him it says he's dead and can't talk but personly I could probably live with that. Though I think the tiles look a bit off being read, you should just make them look like normal tiles.
Yes, i needed to use this script to get rid of the option to talk to the NPC:

Code: Select all

npc_die <entnum>
Otherwise the player could click on the NPC and get the normal dialogue with him...which would be a bit odd.
raverdave2k wrote: With regards to being given a letter if you accept a quest, while you can check for and remove custom items via script you can't give them so the letter would need to be in a chest as you've done with your note or perhaps left amongst papers on some ones desk (If you take a look at my Book II mod you will see I have done something like this using a book left on a desk), in fact now I've worked out the creating custom items thing I was considering redoing my Book I mod as a savegame version then I can have keys instead of codes, if I did I would probably add in having to pick up a letter before the boat to the island would work.
I also did this now, i added a chest near the NPC with two letters named "Quest: Retrieve Potion" for example.
The letter will get removed once the player has completed a quest.
Clearly, you have to provide the player with some advice on how to do it (Get a Quest or get the quest letter) but thats easy and should not be a problem.

Now i have to think about a small mod with a bit of a story. :arrow:
I thought about the player gets kidnapped from his cottage in Tangletree Forest.
Trapped in a cell inside a dungeon and (of course :D ) deprived of all his Skills and Weapons the player has to escape and find out who is responsible for this.
Minsk
Apprentice

Post by Minsk »

Ok, i have put some more work into it and i think this is the best way to create a interaction with NPC's at the moment.
http://www.file-upload.net/download-408 ... 2.zip.html

Please give me some feedback !

How the "system" works:

The red marked spots infront and behind the NPC are the ones that will trigger a dialogue. That way it is possible to get two differend quests from one NPC. It would be possible to force the player to first complete Quest Nr.1 before he could get Nr.2 !
The blue marked spots left and right of the NPC are the ones that will trigger the "Quest completed" dialogue. Note that this tiles are blocked as long as the player has not accepted the appropriate Quest !

There is always a cabinet near a NPC which contains the Quest-Notes.
Those Quest-Notes are for the player so he cant forget a quest, they will be removed from the inventory once a quest is completed.
There is also a chest with a slider lock. Here your reward will be stored.
The NPC will tell you the code for it once you completed a quest.

Any feedback or ideas how to do it better ?
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Okay, well! I only missed my self-imposed release deadline by about two months, but I suppose that's better than letting it go for a whole 'nother year, yes? Thanks in part to the rather enthusiastic discussion that's taken place here over the past few days (hi, Minsk! Glad you're enjoying it) I've finally gotten around to bundling up the more recent code that's been languishing in source control into an actual 0.8.0 release. Available, as always, here: http://apocalyptech.com/eschalon/

Notable new features this time around:
  • A "Script Editor" component which should hopefully make dealing with Object and Entity scripts much easier. This includes a bit of autocompletion for if you can't remember the exact command you're looking for, and an easy way to plug in map coordinates by simply clicking on the map itself. All this is available when you press the green arrow button thing next to any script text entry.
  • Clarified and rearranged some "Revert" and "Reload" behavior to hopefully be more clear.
  • Trap, Lock Level, and Loot Level options for premade objects in the map editor
  • A few other miscellaneous bugfixes
I do feel compelled to mention, however, that this release really hasn't seen the full amount of testing that I typically like to do when I cut a new release like this. Almost all of the code that's in this release has been sitting in source control for some time, and I believe that it did see quite a bit of testing back when I was working on it more actively, so hopefully this will turn out to be solid. Please let me know if you encounter problems, though! And make backups, just in case something I did screws up your map.

Especially let me know if something's weird on the Windows version - part of the delay in getting 0.8.0 out, since my last post here a few months ago, was that I needed to go re-learn how to generate the Windows executables over on a VM I occasionally use for work. At the previous release (0.7.5) I was still using an ancient XP install, which I felt was sufficiently lowest-common-denominator that probably nobody would have issues with it. My current VM is Win7, though, so hopefully the EXE will continue to work for anyone still on Vista (or even XP).

I would still like to get moving on these utilities again, so we'll see if I can make that happen at some point. Getting a more-easily programmable API would be quite nice, as would any other suggestions from people who are actively using the thing. I know that there's a lot in there which is probably kind of weird and cumbersome - if you've got suggestions, I'm all ears. :)

Anyway, enjoy!

Minsk - I'll try and take a look at some of the stuff you've been asking about this week.
Minsk
Apprentice

Post by Minsk »

Thanks for the new version xolotl, the "Script Editor" is very helpful ! :D
You clearly put some hard work into this, the editor feels well polished and smooth. Also, you provided all the informations needed to create something with your tool, pure awesomeness !

My observations for 0.8.0 (using the Win version, i have Win7 64Bit):
(i only used the Book I Map editor)
  • I see this message about a "hicolor" theme:
  • If you have "Warn when editing global maps" checked then the editor gets stuck once the message pops up, only workaround is to uncheck it.
  • While scrolling the map (right click with mouse) there is some distortion on the map, this was not the case with 0.7.5
  • The Preferences are not saved, dont know is this is a issue (if you change something you will have to change it again if you start the editor again).
  • Sometimes the "Select an Icon" window stays empty (you see nothing) and the only way to fix it is to restart the editor. This happens very often now (never happened with 0.7.5) and is my biggest problem at the moment with 0.8.0.
Some questions:
  • Is it possible to have line-breaks ?
    Like:
    Condition (Is this possible \n xolotl ?) (Yes) (No)
  • Is there nothing like:

gain_xp <xp>
    for Book I ?
  • Somewhere (Salted Coast) there was this fog, how can i get this effect ?
    Is it a "Skybox image" or a cloud "overlay" ?
  • You can select "Music1" and "Music2" or just one of them, will they just play randomly if you select more then one track ?
Last edited by Minsk on February 6th, 2012, 3:10 pm, edited 11 times in total.
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Post by raverdave2k »

Minsk wrote: Three questions:
  • Is it possible to have line-breaks ?
    Like:
  • Is there nothing like:

gain_xp <xp>
    for Book I ?
    Is it impossible to add XP to the player in Book I ?
    Any possible workaround for it ?
    Maybe we need to use

quest <questnum> <state>
    to "complete" any quest and get some XP ?
This could work but could well be prone to causing problems completing the real quest which uses the relating <questnum>
  • Is it possible to hide and reveal a object, or spawn a object like a chest via script ?
    I see there is a

convert_tile <typenum>
    command but i dont understand it.
My initial response to this was no it's not possible but then half way though writing this reply I had a brainwave which I've just tested and it works.

Create the chest where and how you want it to appear then use a toggle_object command either in the script that takes you into the dungeon or on a hidden object 14 some where you would have no choice but to walk over it, this will "hide" the chest, then just use another toggle_object command to make it reappear when you want :D

the convert tile command is mainly used to convert a previously static object into say a container, in the original game this I think was only ever done in conjunction with a condition_spot (ie the rocks that contain gems in the bee cave) but could also be used with a cond_item to make something only work (or not work in the case of a trap) when in possesion of a particular object)

Minsk
Apprentice

Post by Minsk »

raverdave2k wrote: This could work but could well be prone to causing problems completing the real quest which uses the relating <questnum>
It works yes, but a list with the quest nr. + the amount of xp you get would be great... :lol:
raverdave2k wrote:
My initial response to this was no it's not possible but then half way though writing this reply I had a brainwave which I've just tested and it works.

Create the chest where and how you want it to appear then use a toggle_object command either in the script that takes you into the dungeon or on a hidden object 14 some where you would have no choice but to walk over it, this will "hide" the chest, then just use another toggle_object command to make it reappear when you want :D

the convert tile command is mainly used to convert a previously static object into say a container, in the original game this I think was only ever done in conjunction with a condition_spot (ie the rocks that contain gems in the bee cave) but could also be used with a cond_item to make something only work (or not work in the case of a trap) when in possesion of a particular object)
[/quote]

Thanks for that !
But after reading this:
toggle_obj <coords>
Toggle the existance of a given wall - This will work for basically any graphic. Note that objects currently toggled-off when you save the game don't get saved properly in the Book 1 savegame file; on the next load, the wall will be visible but your character will be able to walk through it.
I think its better not to use it because save and load will break it.
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Post by raverdave2k »

Ah yes, I forgot about that :( still there is no such warning on the Book 2 page so hopefully the method will still be usefull.

Minsk
Apprentice

Post by Minsk »

About a way to add XP in Book I:
You can use

quest 4 9
for example which will give you 150xp !

But if you use

quest 4 8
before and then later

quest 4 9
you will get the full "Quest Completed" message and get 300xp !

So it looks like if you put the quest state straight to 9 you will not get the full XP. What we would need would be a complete list with all Quest numbers + the xp you get when you set this quest to 9.
Example:

quest 1 = 150xp

quest 7 = 250xp

quest 29 = 2500xp
EDIT:
Oh, does anyone know the number needed to get this working ?

teach_skill (<name>) <skillnum>
What skill is what skillnum ?
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Minsk wrote:Sometimes the "Select an Icon" window stays empty (you see nothing) and the only way to fix it is to restart the editor. This happens very often now (never happened with 0.7.5) and is my biggest problem at the moment with 0.8.0.
Ah, that does seem like a problem. I'm actually not able to reproduce this on my systems yet. Could you give me any more specifics about your machine? I don't suppose that when that happens you get any extra debugging info in your DOS window (in the same place that you saw that "hicolor" error, which probably isn't anything to worry about).
While scrolling the map (right click with mouse) there is some distortion on the map, this was not the case with 0.7.5
Does the distortion at least go away once you're through scrolling? I had noticed the same thing but had hoped that it was just because I was running Windows inside a VM instead of on a real machine. I'll have to spend some time tracking this down. I had noticed it a couple years ago when I had tried to upgrade to some newer gtk+/PyGTK/whatever version, and at the time it was still reasonable to stick with the slightly older versions that I had been using. Two years later, though, and it only makes sense to use the newer stuff. I'll see what I can do.
If you have "Warn when editing global maps" checked then the editor gets stuck once the message pops up, only workaround is to uncheck it.
Ah, and I'll get this taken care of as well.
The Preferences are not saved, dont know is this is a issue (if you change something you will have to change it again if you start the editor again).
This sort of depends on what you consider a "preference." The only stuff that the editor really saves between runs is what's under File->Preferences, which isn't much. I've occasionally thought that I should have the program remember selected tools and graphics, etc, but then I often think that it might be better to have it reset to a "blank slate" instead...
Is it possible to have line-breaks ?
Like:
No idea, actually. I don't think I've seen any explicit linebreaks in the scripts that come with the game itself, so I'm afraid you'll have to just experiment, or cope with not having them available.
Is there nothing like:

gain_xp <xp>
for Book I ?
And again here, I don't know. What I know about the scripting stuff comes from just digging around in the game files and savegames and whatnot, and if it didn't make it onto my scripting reference pages, then I didn't find it. :) Doesn't meant that there might not be something there, of course, but I'm not sure what it would be.
Somewhere (Salted Coast) there was this fog, how can i get this effect? Is it a "Skybox image" or a cloud "overlay" ?
The fog effect is the "cloud overlay" - set that value to 1 instead of 0. I should do some digging eventually to find out if I can turn that into a checkbox, or if the possible values are more varied than that. The "Skybox Image" is what you see in the chasm area of grimmhold_maint.map, or the cliffs at the northern part of 51.map (Rotwood).
You can select "Music1" and "Music2" or just one of them, will they just play randomly if you select more then one track ?
This is another one I'm honestly not sure about. In Book 2, you can specify a Day and Night music track, but I'm pretty sure when I was testing in Book 1 it didn't seem like that was the case. If you do figure it out, let me know. :)
Oh, does anyone know the number needed to get this working ?
Code:
teach_skill (<name>) <skillnum>

What skill is what skillnum ?
Ah, yeah, I should probably have those documented on there. For now, I believe the numbers should match up with what's in this file: https://github.com/apocalyptech/eschalo ... sb1.py#L70

Those are written in hex, so 0x0A is 10, 0x0F is 15, 0x10 is 16, etc. I'll try and get the docs updated soonish.