Savefile Character / Map Editor v1.0.1 (April 15, 2014)

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Savefile Character / Map Editor v1.0.1 (April 15, 2014)

Post by SpottedShroom »

pickaxe wrote:when I tried to give myself some arrows I get a book called arrows instead. Please help.. John
To create an item that can be used as arrows, be sure that you select "Arrow" for the category, select "can stack in inventory," and provide a number. It may be easiest to buy or otherwise obtain a single arrow and then edit that.
Deliga
Pledge

Post by Deliga »

Hello!

I'm using OSX 10.11.5 with the following:
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Memory: 64 GB

The Eschalon Utils won't run for me -- it crashes and puts up an error report a second or so after I try to run the app.

Here's the Pastebin link of the crash report: http://pastebin.com/t1v4Q0sY

Please let me know if I can provide more information for you, and thanks for your time!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Building the stand-alone Mac OS apps is a pain, and probably has to be done pretty regularly as new versions get released, so I'm inclined not to. Running it from source should be pretty easy, though. Have you tried the instructions in the readme?

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/apoca ... README.txt

See "Installation, OS X"
Deliga
Pledge

Post by Deliga »

Hello! Sorry for taking so long to reply.

I have gone through the instructions, yes. It's not what I'm used to, I'll admit that right up front, but it appeared to go through the Homebrew installation without issue, and then the further installs of pygtk, czipfile, and pycrypto went off without hitch as well. There wasn't a .bash_profile so I made one, and included the line as specified. After that, though, I couldn't get the Utils to run from terminal or by the icon.

Here's the error report since the installation of Homebrew and sundry.

Thanks again so much for your time!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

To be clear, you're running it from the Terminal, invoking the .py script you got from Github, right? Not anything you got from the DMG? Can you post a screenshot of your Terminal session?
fdrown2226
Pledge

Post by fdrown2226 »

I've noticed that there seems to be no way to utilize (import) actual items from the game. I am only able to create new items.

Is there a way / are there plans / to utilize actual game items when equipping your character or creating/editing existing map objects?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

When you edit a non-savegame map, you only have the opportunity to give the name of an item - the game will fill it in later with the correct information.

Editing savegame maps or character saves, you can edit items freely, which means you can make items that don't exist in the game - a sword with 99 base damage, or an item that runs a specific game script when you right-click it. But as you noticed, there's currently no way to enter or select "Healing Potion I" and have the editor automatically populate the correct values.

There is an open issue on Github for this feature, though, that suggests some work has been done on it: https://github.com/apocalyptech/eschalo ... /issues/64

Another former regular here and I were the main developers of this program. I don't think there's enough interest for me to justify the development work it would take to add this feature, or the work it would take to recompile for Windows and Mac OS. The code is on Github, though, so anyone's welcome to hack on it.
Naetalis
Initiate

Post by Naetalis »

So the hive drones killed Lilith before I could complete the Hive Queen quest. I downloaded this utility and added her back to my savegame map and placed her in her house.

Now when I load up that game as soon as I approach close enough to where I can see her on screen the game just crashes to desktop. Is there anything I'm missing in trying to put her back into the game?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Rather than using the save file editor, I would suggest (after backing up your save, of course) removing her map from your save directory. Then next time you enter that map it will be recreated automatically from scratch. Oh, and make sure you're not on that map when you save.
Naetalis
Initiate

Post by Naetalis »

Ok this doesn't seem good... I removed Lilith from the save and all was well. I deleted the 24.map file from the save file after copying it just in case. Now when I load a game and try to quick save it gives me like 10 errors messages saying Error trying to save DELDIR and then it deletes the slot1 save game file.

This happens even if I copy the save folder back. The map does reload to a fresh one but now I can't save at all? Hopefully I'm not screwed...
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

It sounds like you've somehow messed up the slot1 directory. Have you tried removing it?

Also, when you delete the 24.map file you should also delete the other 24.* files.
Naetalis
Initiate

Post by Naetalis »

Yeah I've tried deleting it, the whole directory as well and re-installed the game. My saves are just screwed for some reason. Looking around the forums it appears I've been struck by the "DELDIR" save error bug that was never tracked down/solved by the devs?

At some point, I got it in a status where I could save in other slots, but quick saving would never work, but now after continuing to try and fix the quicksave issue I've gotten into a state where I can't even save in the manual cells either anymore. I'm starting to think I need to just pass on this one if its no longer supported and hope for better luck with book 2...
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

If you zip up your whole savefile directory and put it on a file sharing site (it's way too big for here), I'll see if I can straighten it out for you.
Naetalis
Initiate

Post by Naetalis »

I'd appreciate it! Won't have access to the files tonight but will take care of this tomorrow night after work!
Naetalis
Initiate

Post by Naetalis »

Sorry about the delay! Here is my save file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kdr3x8sya7nlw ... ve.7z?dl=0

I've tried placing this in a fresh install and creating all the other empty save folders but no luck. Hopefully you can salvage it somehow!