How much INT do I need to identify most items?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
phoneybone
Pledge

How much INT do I need to identify most items?

Post by phoneybone »

I got my Fighter to level 10 and suddenly my lack of intelligence is causing most new items I find to be unrecognizable... Will an INT of 14 be enough to identify most items in the game? I wish I hadn't sold that ring of lore (or whatever it was) early on. :lol:
Thynar
Apprentice

Re: How much INT do I need to identify most items?

Post by Thynar »

You need a lot of intelligence to identify an Ocular Codex, those things are confusing as heck.
phoneybone
Pledge

Post by phoneybone »

Well, after getting my INT to 16 and trying the Lore skill, I was still getting a lot of new loot that I couldn't identify. Not sure if stuff you already have is re-evaluated when your stats/skills change. So I trained up in Divination and the Lore spell is working pretty good so far.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Lore spell is the best alternative. Otherwise, yes, there are a lot of things you won't know what they are.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Esgo
Initiate

Post by Esgo »

I also have a fighter with not too much Intelligence. For weapons or amor the lore spell works well.

But I also find potions which are unknown very often. For these there is a nice workaround, if I find e.g. a "unkown" blue potion with two golden rings I just stack it with another Mana Potion III in my inventory (if I have one) and suddenly the unkown potion is known. No spell, no money no skills necessary. Great :)
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Esgo wrote:I also have a fighter with not too much Intelligence. For weapons or amor the lore spell works well.

But I also find potions which are unknown very often. For these there is a nice workaround, if I find e.g. a "unkown" blue potion with two golden rings I just stack it with another Mana Potion III in my inventory (if I have one) and suddenly the unkown potion is known. No spell, no money no skills necessary. Great :)
Yes, that will work for any stackable item, so it also works with arrows and throwing weapons. If they DON'T stack (because they all look pretty much alike it's hard to know what's really the same), that means what you found is not the same as what you had before.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
phoneybone
Pledge

Post by phoneybone »

Nice tip, I'll keep that in mind for my next playthrough. Also I think I only had to pay a merchant to identify one item, and the entire stack got identified, for a single item's fee. But it's still so expensive that the Lore spell is definitely the way to go.