Book III Character and Map Editor

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Book III Character and Map Editor

Post by xolotl »

xolotl wrote:Our release plans got pushed back a little bit by a couple bugs we discovered, and then by the release of some of the official loading code from BW, so we've been embarking on a process to rename and reclassify things to match. That process should be just about finished (I pushed out the last huge set for that last night). Then we've got a few more bugs to track down, and some more testing, and we should be able to get a 1.0.0 release out the door finally. I'd hope to get that out within a week or so, though that's what I said last time, too. :)
And, lo and behold, another week has passed without release! :)

However, we're pretty close. We're in a sort-of feature freeze at the moment, and we're mostly just waiting on some extra testing (and some hardware availability for the testing in question). Assuming all goes well, we should be able to get an official 1.0.0 release out by next week - I'm personally targetting the 2nd to get that done. So: progress!
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

xolotl wrote:And, lo and behold, another week has passed without release! :)

However, we're pretty close. We're in a sort-of feature freeze at the moment, and we're mostly just waiting on some extra testing (and some hardware availability for the testing in question). Assuming all goes well, we should be able to get an official 1.0.0 release out by next week - I'm personally targetting the 2nd to get that done. So: progress!
Out of curiosity, when you say "we", do you mean "you and SS", or "you, SS, and BW", or some other combination? TIA! :)

(Looking forward to hopefully getting a 'one-click installable' version of the editor for MacOS! While I probably won't be able to seriously "play" with it until this summer, I would like to start "exploring" the "official" editor in the next few weeks... :mrgreen: )

P.S. When you do release it, please start a new, separate thread for "Official Version 1.0 of the Eschalon Editor" or something...
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

IJBall wrote:Out of curiosity, when you say "we", do you mean "you and SS", or "you, SS, and BW", or some other combination? TIA! :)
Oh, just me and SS. :) I've got some questions to shoot over to BW once he's finished getting 1.02 out the door - I figure that he's probably plenty busy already with that, so I hadn't been bugging him.
Looking forward to hopefully getting a 'one-click installable' version of the editor for MacOS!
I'll let SS comment on that, since I have no capability to do anything on OSX... I'd recommend trying out the "unofficial" OSX image that's up right now, just to see if that works for you or not. I know it can be extremely tricky to try and build OSX stuff that's supposed to run on multiple versions of OSX, and at least a few people have submitted bugs on the tracker for that: issue 35 and issue 11.
P.S. When you do release it, please start a new, separate thread for "Official Version 1.0 of the Eschalon Editor" or something...
In the past what I'd done is kept the first post updated with the current version information (as on the Book I and Book II posts)... Was your primary desire to have the subject match the version numbers, etc? Or would you actually prefer a separate topic for each "major" release? I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I'd always figured it'd be nicer to just keep all the editor-release stuff in a single topic.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

xolotl wrote:
IJBall wrote:P.S. When you do release it, please start a new, separate thread for "Official Version 1.0 of the Eschalon Editor" or something...
In the past what I'd done is kept the first post updated with the current version information (as on the Book I and Book II posts)... Was your primary desire to have the subject match the version numbers, etc? Or would you actually prefer a separate topic for each "major" release? I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I'd always figured it'd be nicer to just keep all the editor-release stuff in a single topic.
Honestly, I think it would be advisable to start a new separate thread topic with each "major" Editor release (e.g. 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.5, etc.), especially now that there's a separate Modding forum.

Minor releases (e.g. 1.0.1, 1.0.2, etc.) I think can follow along in the same thread as its predecessor "major" release (e.g. 1.0).

All, IMHO, of course! YMMV!! :)
JewelCG
Apprentice

Post by JewelCG »

I would have to agree with IJBall about the new, separate thread. There seems to be several people waiting for this release. I know I am, since I'm hoping to actually be able to use it. To be able to find it at a glance would be very helpful.

By the way.. A huge THANK YOU to you guys for working on this. It is very, very appreciated.