Book III Character and Map Editor

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
theanonymy
Apprentice

Re: Book III Character and Map Editor

Post by theanonymy »

neither of editors work for me.

perhaps it`s some of Win 7 64 bit libraries
Um...yeah, same....worked brilliantly for Book 2; saved me from a massive boner with the Borehead quest...but this time? No go. :(

When I open a 'slotxx', it just immediately disappears/shuts down. Weird. No warning or error messages. Tried running in various 'run program in' modes, as previous experience with similar spontaneous shut downs dictates a compatibility issue. Not this time, though. I did check to see if it still worked with Book 2 -- it does. So that is not the issue.

Thoughts? Or should I just wait for another build?

Thanks in advance.
"You laugh at me, because I am different; I laugh at you, because you are all the same."

--Unknown (though sometimes contributed to Jonathan Davis, for some reason)
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Can you run the editor from a command prompt so that you can see the error output it produces? Also, could you zip up a slot directory that's causing a crash and post it here?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

New OS X build! Please try it out and let me know how it works.

http://dx4.org/eschalon_utils/Eschalon%20Utils.dmg
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Perfect timing!

I've been using the Windows version for the past couple of days (working on a mod for Rockhammer Mine level 3), and it's been challenging. I have a Mac, and I run Windows 7 in a virtual machine - it's a bit sluggish. I'll try out the Mac version tomorrow.

Question: is there a way to trigger some text when the user walks over a tile (or region of tiles) on a map? I don't really want to use a signpost, and would rather auto-show some text when the user enters an area.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

SpottedShroom wrote:New OS X build! Please try it out and let me know how it works.

Unfortunately, this is really bad timing on my end...
So I can't promise to get to this for about 2 weeks. Sorry... :(
Weird Heather
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Weird Heather »

MyGameCompany wrote:Question: is there a way to trigger some text when the user walks over a tile (or region of tiles) on a map? I don't really want to use a signpost, and would rather auto-show some text when the user enters an area.
There are two possibilities. Create an object on the tile and choose one of these two.

One possibility is the tile-triggered action. Whatever script you associate with the object will execute when the player steps on the tile. Traps are perhaps the most obvious use for this, but you could have it display a message.

There is also a proximity-triggered action. This will execute when the player comes within one tile of the object's location. This is useful if there isn't a choke point one tile wide where the player is guaranteed to go, but since it only triggers when the player is next to the object, the choke point still needs to be three tiles wide to guarantee that the player won't miss it. If the area is wider than this, you will need multiple objects, and whichever one the player steps on will need to destroy the other objects if you don't want the message to keep repeating.

Whichever method you use, the correct script will be msg (text) ; destroy_script. (Remember to use destroy_script if you only want the message to display the first time the player walks over or next to the tile.)

I used both of these objects extensively in the mod I created recently, so if you need examples, you can find plenty in my mod, and I'm sure you could easily find some in the original game. These objects are very useful tools, not just for displaying messages, but also for setting devious traps, spawning surprise monsters, and numerous other purposes.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Thanks, Weird Heather!

Is there a list of all the scripts somewhere? I learned some of them by examining the objects on a few of the official game maps, but it would be nice to have a reference list instead of having to hunt for another object that works similar to what I want to do.
Troy
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
Weird Heather
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Weird Heather »

Information on Book II objects and scripting can be found here.

http://apocalyptech.com/eschalon/map.php

Book III is very similar to Book II, so most of what is documented here works. Book III has a few unique commands, and I don't know all of them. Also, a few things will be different; Object type 3 now works in Book III. It is used for floor decal-type containers, such as bones. Object type 8 has a different purpose; it seems to be the best choice for some clickable actions.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Thanks! Don't know how I missed those links at the top...
Troy
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

IJBall wrote:
SpottedShroom wrote:New OS X build! Please try it out and let me know how it works.

Unfortunately, this is really bad timing on my end...
So I can't promise to get to this for about 2 weeks. Sorry... :(
It won't start for me on Mac OS X 10.5.8. I get this error: "A python runtime could not be located. You may need to install a framework build of Python, or edit the PyRuntimeLocations array in this application's info.plist file."

Mac 10.5.8. does come with Python, installed into /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5. I looked at your app bundle, and it looks like it expects Python 2.7. Bummer!
Troy
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

MyGameCompany wrote: It won't start for me on Mac OS X 10.5.8. I get this error: "A python runtime could not be located. You may need to install a framework build of Python, or edit the PyRuntimeLocations array in this application's info.plist file."

Mac 10.5.8. does come with Python, installed into /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5. I looked at your app bundle, and it looks like it expects Python 2.7. Bummer!
Hm. The app bundle does include its own python runtime, but maybe it still relies on some system python files. I'll take another look next week and see if I can make it more self-contained.
Oldhunter
Initiate

Post by Oldhunter »

Any ideas on how to get the editor to work with Windows Vista. (much laughter in the background). Do I have to download additional software? Downloaded it once and fired up the editor and it pops up in a black box for half a second and then disappears.
Just a game player, not a computer guru.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Oldhunter wrote:Any ideas on how to get the editor to work with Windows Vista. (much laughter in the background). Do I have to download additional software? Downloaded it once and fired up the editor and it pops up in a black box for half a second and then disappears.
I don't know of any reason why it shouldn't work in Vista, but I've only tested on 7. Can you run it through a command prompt? That will let you see what error message appears in that black box without it disappearing when the program exits.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

For what it's worth, I just tested in my Windows Vista VM, and it seemed to work correctly.
Oldhunter wrote:Any ideas on how to get the editor to work with Windows Vista. (much laughter in the background). Do I have to download additional software? Downloaded it once and fired up the editor and it pops up in a black box for half a second and then disappears.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Is there a way to create a custom book or note with some text on it? I'd like to place such a thing in a chest or on a pile of bones...
Troy