Eschalon Book 13

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Eschalon Book 13

Post by SpottedShroom »

I give you Eschalon Book I running in the Book III engine: Book 13!

http://imgur.com/a/6WlEG

This is just the initial pass, but it's already looking pretty good. It shouldn't take much work to get to a playable-ish state with the current level of mod support, but it would be maps only - no quests, no dialog, no items that don't also appear in Book III, etc.
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: Eschalon Book 13

Post by IJBall »

SpottedShroom wrote:I give you Eschalon Book I running in the Book III engine: Book 13!

This is just the initial pass, but it's already looking pretty good. It shouldn't take much work to get to a playable-ish state with the current level of mod support, but it would be maps only - no quests, no dialog, no items that don't also appear in Book III, etc.
So, right now, with your guys' editor, there's no way to get the "cavalry statue" or the "roman statue" into those maps, huh?

And no Mobs that don't appear in Book III too, huh? Can your editor make the Goblins less tough than they were in Book III (and more like they were in Book I) in your Mod?...
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

IJBall wrote: So, right now, with your guys' editor, there's no way to get the "cavalry statue" or the "roman statue" into those maps, huh?

And no Mobs that don't appear in Book III too, huh? Can your editor make the Goblins less tough than they were in Book III (and more like they were in Book I) in your Mod?...
It's nothing to do with the editor, and everything to do with the level of mod support in the Book III engine. Until we can include things besides maps in mods, all we can do is re-arrange the bits that already exist in Book III.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

IJBall wrote:So, right now, with your guys' editor, there's no way to get the "cavalry statue" or the "roman statue" into those maps, huh?
External graphic elements will be an easy thing to add. After 1.02 makes it out on all platforms, I'll start on an experimental version of 1.03 and work with you mod people at getting new features integrated.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Aw man! I have been waiting since the release of Book III to replay through the entire series with one character once this was remade. I am super excited for it.
Best of luck completing it, and thank you very much!
I have just been reminded why this gaming community is far better than any others that I have been a part of.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

SpottedShroom wrote:I give you Eschalon Book I running in the Book III engine: Book 13!

That looks pretty cool! It would be nice to have the original graphics, re-rendered to the resolution of the B3 engine, but still - well done!
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Follow-up question: In the first picture, of the starting location in Book I, you'll notice that there are pine trees in the original Book I version. Did the "pine tree" graphics from Book II not make it in to the Book III package?

If so, that's further impetus to try and convert all of Book II to "Book III format" first, before trying to convert Book I to Book III format...

P.S. It looks like Book II also contains the "dirt" terrain-grid graphic, which looks to be something else that would be needed to "recreate" Book I.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

IJBall wrote:
SpottedShroom wrote: Follow-up question: In the first picture, of the starting location in Book I, you'll notice that there are pine trees in the original Book I version. Did the "pine tree" graphics from Book II not make it in to the Book III package?

If so, that's further impetus to try and convert all of Book II to "Book III format" first, before trying to convert Book I to Book III format...
Book I has only a single set of tree graphics. Books II and III each have multiples, one of which is evergreens. When I was setting up the mappings from Book I to Book III graphics, I figured that I'd map the trees to the default (deciduous) set in Book III, but the evergreens seem like a better match. Here's the opening scene with evergreens instead:

http://i.imgur.com/sKOaA7f.jpg
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

SpottedShroom wrote:
IJBall wrote: Follow-up question: In the first picture, of the starting location in Book I, you'll notice that there are pine trees in the original Book I version. Did the "pine tree" graphics from Book II not make it in to the Book III package?

Book I has only a single set of tree graphics. Books II and III each have multiples, one of which is evergreens. When I was setting up the mappings from Book I to Book III graphics, I figured that I'd map the trees to the default (deciduous) set in Book III, but the evergreens seem like a better match. Here's the opening scene with evergreens instead:

http://i.imgur.com/sKOaA7f.jpg
Yes! Much better!! :D

All that's missing from that now is the "dirt" graphics for the "dirt path" (as I said above, those should be available in Book II...), and the "tree stump" (though a form of "tree stump" graphic surely exists in Book III (though it'll look quite different from Book I's...)) the latter of which should be easy to add.

Question: Is there a second window on the right in the starting house that's obscured by the pine tree on the right? Is there a "pine tree graphic" for a "smaller" pine tree?

P.S. Is there no map-graphics tile in Book III that looks like the "stinging nettle bush" from Book I?...
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

IJBall wrote:P.S. Is there no map-graphics tile in Book III that looks like the "stinging nettle bush" from Book I?...
I think there is one, but it's not used for anything in Book III, other than that pleasing *shuffle*.