Scripting

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
mbrowne
Steward

Scripting

Post by mbrowne »

I was hoping somebody might post a list of script commands and syntax?

Also wondering if, as the mod tools come along, we'll be able to add dialog and quests.
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Re: Scripting

Post by raverdave2k »

Information regarding the scripting commands can be found at http://apocalyptech.com/eschalon/b3scripting.php

Dialogue and quests are held within various text files inside the datapak, for us to add custom options would require changes to the game engine so it also looks for these files in the Mods file folder as has been done for select map files, it's something which is on the table for BW to look into at some point so fingers crossed.
My modifications for Eschalon Book I: RaverDave's Book I Mod
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

All previous versions avaliable here
mbrowne
Steward

Post by mbrowne »

raverdave2k wrote:Information regarding the scripting commands can be found at http://apocalyptech.com/eschalon/b3scripting.php
Reverse engineering can only go so far :)
raverdave2k wrote:Dialogue and quests are held within various text files inside the datapak, for us to add custom options would require changes to the game engine so it also looks for these files in the Mods file folder as has been done for select map files, it's something which is on the table for BW to look into at some point so fingers crossed.
Yeah, I was wondering what the current thinking was. And the editor could put data where the game is already looking.
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Post by raverdave2k »

mbrowne wrote:
raverdave2k wrote:Information regarding the scripting commands can be found at http://apocalyptech.com/eschalon/b3scripting.php
It's actually a full list as BW did release the full list of the available commands and I'm pretty sure Xolotl updated that page to match.
My modifications for Eschalon Book I: RaverDave's Book I Mod
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

All previous versions avaliable here
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

raverdave2k wrote:
mbrowne wrote:
It's actually a full list as BW did release the full list of the available commands and I'm pretty sure Xolotl updated that page to match.
To Xolotl: It's always nice when pages such as this have a "Last update: [date]" tag somewhere on the page, for questions such as these. :)
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

IJBall wrote:To Xolotl: It's always nice when pages such as this have a "Last update: [date]" tag somewhere on the page, for questions such as these. :)
Heh, yeah, good idea. I'll get that on there later tonight. The docs were, indeed, updated by SS to match the official docs from BW: github commit
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

mbrowne wrote:Reverse engineering can only go so far :)
Actually, my reverse-engineered script keyword list (from looking through the ASCII strings in the executable binary) includes two that BW didn't mention in his "official" list: cleric_heal and rank. :)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

SpottedShroom wrote:
mbrowne wrote:Reverse engineering can only go so far :)
Actually, my reverse-engineered script keyword list (from looking through the ASCII strings in the executable binary) includes two that BW didn't mention in his "official" list: cleric_heal and rank. :)
Did BW ever let you know what those do? (Though I think it's pretty obvious what "cleric_heal" must do!... ;) )
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

IJBall wrote:
SpottedShroom wrote: Actually, my reverse-engineered script keyword list (from looking through the ASCII strings in the executable binary) includes two that BW didn't mention in his "official" list: cleric_heal and rank. :)
Did BW ever let you know what those do? (Though I think it's pretty obvious what "cleric_heal" must do!... ;) )
No, but it was easy enough to figure out by using them. They're documented on that scripting page.