Resources

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
mbrowne
Steward

Resources

Post by mbrowne »

Is there a way to get all of the original area files?

Also looking for a complete list of item names.

Thanks for any help.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Resources

Post by SpottedShroom »

What you're looking for is inside the datapak file, which is a password-protected zip file. BW has distributed some of the content from there for translation purposes (http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... =34&t=9036), but neither the maps or the items spreadsheet are included.

BW has stated that the datapak is encrypted because of licensing agreements with some of the content, but unfortunately it also makes things more difficult for fans trying to understand the way the game works. xolotl's editor has official approval to decrypt the datapak in order to display graphics from the game, but as far as I know no one else does.

If you're reasonably technically adept, you can probably figure out how to decrypt the datapak, but we can't tell you the password or walk you through how to find it. Sorry; I know how frustrating this must be, but I'm trying to respect BW's wishes.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

SpottedShroom wrote:xolotl's editor has official approval to decrypt the datapak in order to display graphics from the game, but as far as I know no one else does.
In preparation for future modding support, btw, I am planning on adding a feature to the editing tools which will let you open a "global" map file directly from the datapak. It'd be basically creating a "new" map based on the global one, so you wouldn't be able to make changes directly into the datapak, but it would at least be capable of letting people get pristine copies of the global maps for future modding purposes.

At the moment there's not much useful you could do with the global files, anyway, apart from just poking around. It's a little less convenient, but you could always just play through and save your game each time you first enter a new map. The map version in your savegame dir will be functionally identical to the global version.
mbrowne
Steward

Post by mbrowne »

xolotl wrote:
SpottedShroom wrote:xolotl's editor has official approval to decrypt the datapak in order to display graphics from the game, but as far as I know no one else does.
In preparation for future modding support, btw, I am planning on adding a feature to the editing tools which will let you open a "global" map file directly from the datapak. It'd be basically creating a "new" map based on the global one, so you wouldn't be able to make changes directly into the datapak, but it would at least be capable of letting people get pristine copies of the global maps for future modding purposes.

At the moment there's not much useful you could do with the global files, anyway, apart from just poking around. It's a little less convenient, but you could always just play through and save your game each time you first enter a new map. The map version in your savegame dir will be functionally identical to the global version.
Access to the global files is there, as you say, by going in-game and collecting them in the savegame directory. So, not a question of "if" but "how." And I asked because it is more inconvenience than I am up for to collect them all that way.

And they would be very useful for adding items and lore that relates or points to a new area, like notes, named-items, map links, and hopefully in the future NPC dialog. It goes without saying that altered original areas would come with requisite instructions, warnings, disclaimers. I'm guessing that the game would load the original areas from datapak first, then if a modded original existed in the Mod directory it would overwrite that it.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

mbrowne wrote:I'm guessing that the game would load the original areas from datapak first, then if a modded original existed in the Mod directory it would overwrite that it.
Yeah, something like that will come. We've got a private forum where we've been talking to BW about how the mod support will look, etc. Once the engine supports dealing with global map files usefully, there will be an easy way to get to them.
mbrowne
Steward

Re: Soundfiles

Post by mbrowne »

Are the names of soundfiles available that are used for things like notes and Erubor's letter?
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

mbrowne wrote:Are the names of soundfiles available that are used for things like notes and Erubor's letter?
Mm, I don't think that'd been posted anywhere. I suppose the editor should probably have a way of previewing those, though that could take some work to get working cross-platform.

For now, here's a list of all the sound effects in the internal "sound" folder which start with "sfx_*":

Code: Select all

sfx_activate.wav
sfx_arrow_release.wav
sfx_barrel_bash.wav
sfx_bash.wav
sfx_bash_break.wav
sfx_bell.wav
sfx_bite.wav
sfx_blast1.wav
sfx_bless.wav
sfx_bowpull.wav
sfx_break.wav
sfx_bubble.wav
sfx_cast_elem.wav
sfx_ceramic_bash.wav
sfx_ceramicbreak.wav
sfx_chest_close.wav
sfx_chest_open.wav
sfx_chimes.wav
sfx_closewin.wav
sfx_compress.wav
sfx_container_close.wav
sfx_container_latch.wav
sfx_container_open.wav
sfx_cure.wav
sfx_deflect.wav
sfx_die_roll.wav
sfx_disarm.wav
sfx_disarm_fail.wav
sfx_disarm_success.wav
sfx_disease.wav
sfx_door_bash.wav
sfx_door_close.wav
sfx_door_open.wav
sfx_energize.wav
sfx_entangle.wav
sfx_fem_attack.wav
sfx_fem_die.wav
sfx_fem_hurt.wav
sfx_fire_rush.wav
sfx_fleshboil.wav
sfx_freeze.wav
sfx_glass.wav
sfx_haste.wav
sfx_heal.wav
sfx_hurt1.wav
sfx_hurt2.wav
sfx_hurt3.wav
sfx_hurt4.wav
sfx_hurt5.wav
sfx_hurt6.wav
sfx_invisible.wav
sfx_key.wav
sfx_key_punch.wav
sfx_key_unlock.wav
sfx_level.wav
sfx_level2.wav
sfx_lever.wav
sfx_lock_open.wav
sfx_lockpick.wav
sfx_loot.wav
sfx_magic.wav
sfx_magic_activate.wav
sfx_man_attack.wav
sfx_man_die.wav
sfx_man_hurt.wav
sfx_mouse_hover.wav
sfx_narration.wav
sfx_negative.wav
sfx_notice.wav
sfx_npc_bow.wav
sfx_openwin.wav
sfx_pickup.wav
sfx_ping.wav
sfx_poison.wav
sfx_polthit.wav
sfx_port_down.wav
sfx_port_up.wav
sfx_portal.wav
sfx_positive.wav
sfx_potion.wav
sfx_power.wav
sfx_pullbow.wav
sfx_qt.wav
sfx_quaff.wav
sfx_restore.wav
sfx_scribble1.wav
sfx_scribble2.wav
sfx_slip.wav
sfx_spellfail.wav
sfx_stats_close.wav
sfx_stats_open.wav
sfx_torchoff.wav
sfx_torchon.wav
sfx_trap_dart.wav
sfx_tumbler_fall.wav
sfx_tumbler_jiggle.wav
sfx_window.wav
mbrowne
Steward

Post by mbrowne »

Excellent! Thanks. I think sounds and gfx are easy enough to test, but preview would be cool.