Filling containers

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
ehsmadhatter
Initiate

Filling containers

Post by ehsmadhatter »

On the macOS version of the utilities containers do not get the clickable edit for entering items.
There is just a line to enter text and although "random" works no other object title works, it just comes up Widget. When I go and look at other maps the clickable edit line is there. Is this a bug or just something I am overlooking. I did check out the scripting tools and making maps, Thanks for putting all that together.

Duke
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Filling containers

Post by xolotl »

ehsmadhatter wrote:On the macOS version of the utilities containers do not get the clickable edit for entering items.
There is just a line to enter text and although "random" works no other object title works, it just comes up Widget. When I go and look at other maps the clickable edit line is there. Is this a bug or just something I am overlooking. I did check out the scripting tools and making maps, Thanks for putting all that together.
It sounds like the map you were editing was set as a "Global" map (ie: of the sort that live inside the Eschalon datapak, and could be used in the official "mods" folder). Those global maps do, indeed, only store an item name in its containers, and do not support having actual item structures in there. So the kinds of items you can put in there is a little bit more limited, and can lead to Widgets if Eschalon doesn't like the value.

I've actually been working on some savegame-to-global (and global-to-savegame) conversion routines for the editor, and part of that was doing some testing to find out exactly what sorts of items can be specified in the global map containers.
ehsmadhatter
Initiate

Post by ehsmadhatter »

Yes these are global maps. Sounds like I would have to create different map type and save into slot areas to get individual items listed.
Hoping there will be an addition to add this functionality in the future.
Thanks
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

ehsmadhatter wrote:Yes these are global maps. Sounds like I would have to create different map type and save into slot areas to get individual items listed.
Hoping there will be an addition to add this functionality in the future.
You should, certainly, be able to specify quite a few items in global map containers anyway. Here's a list of all the contents which are set in the stock Book 3 maps - these, at the very least, should work fine. I'd expect that many other weapon/armor combinations (with the various prefixes, etc) should probably work fine as well:

Code: Select all

100 Gold Pieces
A Masters Guide to the Bow
A Vile Weapon Indeed
A sailor's logbook
Akadai Gland
Akadai Withered Head
Ambergris
Amulet of the Magi
Anise
Arm bones
Armor
Arrow
Auricflax
Bag of Salt
Bag of Spices
Bar of Copper
Bar of Gold
Bar of Mithril
Battle Axe
Belladonna
Biscuit Ration
Bittercup Seeds
Bittersting
Black-spotted Shroom
Bloodstar Pendant
Bonedust
Boots
Bottle of Wine
Bracers
Brass Key
Bread
Candecium Dust
Captain logbook
Captain's Axe
Cat's Eyes
Chain Boots
Chromium Spring Widget
Commoner's Shirt
Composite Bow
Copper Key
Corpse Ash
Cotton Wick
Crafting Hammer
Crush - Smash - Destroy
Crux of Terra
Cudgel
Dagger
Demon Oil I
Demon Oil II
Detox Serum
Diamond Chip
Diamond Key
Diamond-head Arrow
Dreadnought Spear
Dried Brainstem
Dried Meat
EMPTY
Elixir of Cure Ailment
Fandugan Pass
Femur
Fine China Cup
Fine China Plate
Fishgutter
Flask of Toxic Aura
Flight Arrow
Full Helm
Gildedmoon Pendant 10
Gildedmoon Pendant 13
Gildedmoon Pendant 22
Gildedmoon Pendant 7
Gloves
Gold Key
Grand Axe
Guiding Light
Half-helm
Haste
Healing Elixir I
Healing Elixir II
Healing Elixir III
Heavy Cloak
Huge Gold (100-400)
Ice Lance
Iron Ore
Iron Weapon Fragments
Jade Key
Javelin
Jerkin
Knife
Lamp Oil
Large Diamond
Large Emerald
Large Gold (30-99)
Large Ruby
Lock Pick
Long Sword
Luminous Ring
Maggot's Letter
Magicka Divine
Maledge
Mana Potion I
Mana Potion II
Mana Potion III
Map of Wylderan
Masterstaff
Meat Scraps
Medium Gold (9-29)
Miss Bimbles
Mithril Arrow
Mystic Hammer
Pearl
Plate Boots
Plate Bracers
Plated Belt
Platinum Bolt Widget
Plumpcot
Polarclaw
Potion of Invisibility I
Potion of Invisibility III
Potion of Ogre Strength
Potion of Restoration
Quill and Inkwell
RANDOM
Rai Amulet
Raven's Heart
Red Sunrise
Roach Leg
Rotted Fish
Rusted Key
Salted Fish
Sandals
Scale Armor
Scale Boots
Scale Gauntlets
Security Key
Short Bow
Short Sword
Sigil of Fire
Silver Key
Simple Key
Skull
Small Emerald
Small Gold (1-9)
Small Ruby
Sparkling Divinity
Spider Silk
Spiked Mace
Spooky Key
Steak
Steel Arrow
Stiletto
Stinkroot
Strange Key
Sulfur
The Fabulous Adventures of Captain Hale
The Snows of May
Titanium Gear Widget
Toadis Pollen
Torch
Troll Teeth
Tungsten Bracket Widget
Vintage Whiskey
War Hammer
Water Skin
Wild Cabbage
Willow Bark
Wizard's Hat
Wormleaf
Yambi Berries
ehsmadhatter
Initiate

Post by ehsmadhatter »

I actually tried "Raven's Heart". Came up widget(Raven's Heart).
I will try some of the others and see what I get.
Thanks

Tried others and they do the same.... widget(plumpcot), picture is the widget gear for all. This must be a default.

Thanks again.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

ehsmadhatter wrote:I actually tried "Raven's Heart". Came up widget(Raven's Heart).
I will try some of the others and see what I get.
Thanks

Tried others and they do the same.... widget(plumpcot), picture is the widget gear for all. This must be a default.
Both "Raven's Heart" and "Plumpcot" work for me... Remember that case is important - "plumpcot" isn't the same thing as "Plumpcot." If you had Raven's Heart capitalized properly, I wonder if your system ended up using some fancy "smart" apostrophe rather than the basic one...
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

So, after some more experimentation, I've confirmed that for global map files, the only valid items you can specify are what's exactly written inside general_items.csv. I don't think that's been generally shared here, so I've uploaded it on my site (I assume that BW won't mind) -

http://apocalyptech.com/eschalon/misc/e ... _items.csv

Specifically it's the names in the "DESCRIPTION" field which you have to use. A few things to note:
  • The only specific amounts of gold you can leave are 50 and 100 - for other amounts you've got to use the randomly-generated items like "Medium Gold (9-29)"
  • Spell scrolls must omit the "Scroll of" prefix, so the item name you use is only the spell name itself.
  • You can't directly specify the material used for weapons and armor, but you can set the general worth of the items with the "Loot Level" of the container. For instance, a chest with a Loot Level of 10, and eight "Skullcap" items might yield something like 2x Dragon Skin Skullcap, 4x Ancient Dragon Skin Skullcap, and 2x Studded Reptile Hide Skullcap. Reducing the same chest's Loot Level to 4 might instead yield something like 6x Boiled Leather Skullcap and 2x Leather Skullcap.
  • Relatedly, it looks like "Epic" or other modifiers (Frostbitten, Hellforged, whatever) will not ever generate, when you're specifying the armor/weapon type like that. It looks like the only way for those kinds of enchanted items to generate is with the "RANDOM" special item, at high enough Loot Levels.
  • It looks like in general the items with apostrophes use "regular" apostrophes, with the exception of "A Bar Brawler's Guide," which uses a fancier one.
  • Note that "Conqueror's Sword" actually has two spaces in it.
So anyway, there you go. Sometime in the next few days I'm planning on adding a feature to the editor where global maps will have a dropdown-type-thing on the item contents so that you can choose from a list, rather than having to do the verification work manually. (Dunno when the next version will actually get released, though I'd suspect it'll probably be sometime in the next few weeks.)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

xolotl wrote:Specifically it's the names in the "DESCRIPTION" field which you have to use. A few things to note:
  • It looks like in general the items with apostrophes use "regular" apostrophes, with the exception of "A Bar Brawler's Guide," which uses a fancier one.
  • Note that "Conqueror's Sword" actually has two spaces in it.
These two should be considered "typos"/"bugs" (the second one definitely is...).

But the first one (the "A Bar Brawler's Guide" one) should be considered a "typo"/"bug" too - hopefully someone can pass this along to PM (or SS), if they haven't discovered that one on their own already...
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

IJBall wrote:These two should be considered "typos"/"bugs" (the second one definitely is...).

But the first one (the "A Bar Brawler's Guide" one) should be considered a "typo"/"bug" too - hopefully someone can pass this along to PM (or SS), if they haven't discovered that one on their own already...
Yeah, the thing about the Conqueror's Sword is actually already in PM's list of fixes, in the "couldn't fix - Hard-Coded Text" section.

I'm actually not entirely sure if the "smart" apostrophe would count as a typo... It's not the only instance of "smart" punctuation in general_items.csv. The other is in the script for the Deadly Skills Permit:

Code: Select all

msg (This is just a simple parchment that says: <93>The bearer of this permit is allowed to receive training in deadly weapons within the municipality of Moonrise<94>. It is stamped with a town insignia.)
The <93> and <94> are smart quotes which go around the text. I'm not sure there's a good case for changing those, and the smart apostrophe is sort of in the same class of characters, so if one's good then why wouldn't the other be? I suppose consistency is probably reason enough, since all the other items' apostrophes are regular.

I suppose I'll mention it in the Typo/Grammar thread anyway.