Book II Mod: Return to Bastion Spire

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Book II Mod: Return to Bastion Spire

Post by SpottedShroom »

MyGameCompany wrote: Hm. Guess maybe I need to add more Taurax to the army. :)

Wonder how many more I can add before the engine barfs...?
Against Supernova, more Taurax won't help. It would have to be more spread out Taurax so you can't get so many on a screen. And I advise against more Taurax on that map, since it's already pretty slow to load :)
Mike Modified
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Mike Modified »

Yes. Look around, there's something nearby that will allow you to access the stairs.
[+] SPOILER
I believe there's a painting or something on the wall just south of there that you can click on.
Well, wasn't that stupid! Probably the only one that I didn't examine. But then again, I never did like the Chancellor's wife :D

Mie
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

SpottedShroom wrote:
MyGameCompany wrote: Hm. Guess maybe I need to add more Taurax to the army. :)

Wonder how many more I can add before the engine barfs...?
Against Supernova, more Taurax won't help. It would have to be more spread out Taurax so you can't get so many on a screen. And I advise against more Taurax on that map, since it's already pretty slow to load :)
Yeah, I was thinking about that last night, and I agree. But I came up with a few other ideas that might increase the difficulty for some players, like disabling portal and quick travel on that map so you can't teleport away, recharge, and return.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
helivoy
Steward

Post by helivoy »

My opinion, as someone who prefers exploring to bashing, is that this mod doesn't need its difficulty ratcheted up any further.
For I come from an ardent race
That has subsisted on defiance and visions.
-------------------------------------
Starship Reckless
To Seek Out New Life
The Other Half of the Sky
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

helivoy wrote:My opinion, as someone who prefers exploring to bashing, is that this mod doesn't need its difficulty ratcheted up any further.
Good to know. Thanks!

I'll try to balance any adjustments I make. I'm not too concerned with making the Misty Pass map harder, though, because I did NOT want players to take on the army by themselves and come away with an easy win. I wanted to make that option extremely difficult and virtually impossible (as it realistically would be), so that players would focus on other ways to get past the army (sneak by, look for alternate routes, etc). The idea is that you're sneaking into enemy territory on your own, and the Taurax are supposed to be formidable, so stealth and secrecy (not confrontation) is supposed to be the key to accomplishing the mission.
Troy
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

v0.9.1 is now available! See initial post in this thread for the updated link and a list of changes.

This new version should work much better, plus there are 4 new maps (2 outdoor, 1 large dungeon, and 1 small interior map). Enjoy!

Of course, when you install this update, all of the mod's maps will be reset and you'll essentially be starting it over again. I'd recommend saving your game at a point outside of the mod maps (like returning to your house in Eastwillow and saving from there) before installing the new mod into your save game slot. It's a huge mod, and I wouldn't want you to be left stranded somewhere when the mod files change out from under you.

Thanks to everyone who has provided feedback so far. Keep it coming! Meanwhile, I'll try to get the last 3 outdoor maps finished so I can officially release this mod. Whew, it's been a long project!
Troy
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Sorry, I'm probably thick, but... what does the following mean:
MyGameCompany wrote:Note: if you want to use an existing character, you can skip step 2, but it will reset the 2 official maps listed above.
What do you mean "...but it will reset the 2 official maps listed above."?
TIA.
Mike Modified
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Mike Modified »

MyGameCompany wrote: Yeah, I was thinking about that last night, and I agree. But I came up with a few other ideas that might increase the difficulty for some players, like disabling portal and quick travel on that map so you can't teleport away, recharge, and return.
They only come in twos, threes, and fours. Skill feat focus arrow, move four spaces, skill feat focus arrow, dead whatever. More tedium than anything else. :D I never used portal or quick travel except to go buy more hundreds of arrows.

Mike
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

IJBall wrote:Sorry, I'm probably thick, but... what does the following mean:
MyGameCompany wrote:Note: if you want to use an existing character, you can skip step 2, but it will reset the 2 official maps listed above.
What do you mean "...but it will reset the 2 official maps listed above."?
TIA.
The mod makes changes to 2 official maps - Yoma Narrows and Port Edon. When you install the mod, it will reset those maps. (Actually if you had the mod previously installed and update it, it will also reset all the mod's maps too.) So it will be as if you had never visited those maps before.
Troy
Mike Modified
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Mike Modified »

Excellent! I haven't explored it all, but looks really nice (ran out of arrows shortly after entering the dungeon). All three of the quick-travel (or whatever) points work nicely.

Looking forward to exploring it all.

Mike
helivoy
Steward

Post by helivoy »

Troy, the revised beta is even more terrific than the original! I have three spoiler requests -- I sent you a PM. Many thanks in advance.
For I come from an ardent race
That has subsisted on defiance and visions.
-------------------------------------
Starship Reckless
To Seek Out New Life
The Other Half of the Sky
Mike Modified
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Mike Modified »

A couple observations, Troy:

1. The book at Humfrey's references Vern Farwick of Nightwood. No sign of Vern Farwick in Nightwood, but south of Nightwood is the house of Benjamin Farwick, whose cellar is inoperative (the stairs do not highlight when the cursor is over it).

2. From the "summer cottage" you can Quick Travel to Edon, Eastwillow and Picaroon Island. From B. Farwick's you can Quick Travel to Eastwillow and Picaroon Island but not Edon, which doesn't seem right?

3. For the next update, could you provide an extra download with just the new and modified maps (cleaning Misty Pass is passé now)?

This mod is great fun! Anxiously waiting for the next updates.

Mike
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Mike Modified wrote:A couple observations, Troy:

1. The book at Humfrey's references Vern Farwick of Nightwood. No sign of Vern Farwick in Nightwood, but south of Nightwood is the house of Benjamin Farwick, whose cellar is inoperative (the stairs do not highlight when the cursor is over it).

2. From the "summer cottage" you can Quick Travel to Edon, Eastwillow and Picaroon Island. From B. Farwick's you can Quick Travel to Eastwillow and Picaroon Island but not Edon, which doesn't seem right?

3. For the next update, could you provide an extra download with just the new and modified maps (cleaning Misty Pass is passé now)?

This mod is great fun! Anxiously waiting for the next updates.

Mike
1 - I don't think I've ever seen the down staircase light up. Should still work, though - I know I tested that and was able to get into the cellar.

Technically the forest is still Nightwood, even though its actually south of the Nightwood map. I'll update the text in the book to alleviate confusion, though. I can see how that would be confusing.

2 - I think there's something in the game engine that computes the distance between maps and determines if the distance is too far to quick travel. Depending on what number the Picaroon map is (can't look it up right now), that's probably why it lets you travel there. I suspect the map number isn't as as far away as it probably should be (to be proportional with the actual distance on the Eschalon world map).

3 - yeah, I can probably provide a secondary download with just changed maps. Wouldn't have helped with this past update, though, since I think I changed nearly every map! Haha!
Troy
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

What a great job you have done with this mod. It is like having a whole new game to play! It's a wonderful addition to the world of Eschalon.
Mike Modified
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Mike Modified »

The log references Vern (not Benjamin) (but you know that :D )

Missing a preposition: "...that was hidden the crack of a large..."

Good fun & puzzles.

Mike