Anyone Else Played Bard's Tale IV

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Anyone Else Played Bard's Tale IV

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

I recently went and got myself promoted at work, which had the effect of putting me on the night shift, so now on my off days I'm awake through the middle of the night, trying not to make noise to wake up my wife. With InExile finally putting out the MacOS version of Bard's Tale IV, I've been playing that and was wondering who else here has tried it.

I'm not usually big on the first person perspective games, so the interface has been taking a bit to get used to. Also, the combat is a bit oddly restrictive in its structure, but once you get the hang of it you can do some interesting things.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: Anyone Else Played Bard's Tale IV

Post by blatherbeard »

This was on my radar for a while, but i just literally forgot about it. Probably because steam reviews are mixed and or i just got caught up in so many other games(that latter is prob more the case, steam reviews i take with a healthy pinch of salt lol). at 34.99 for the standard and 49.99 for the deluxe directors cut, ill be passing for now. Only because so many games in my backlog and RDR2 for pc. Cant wait for you to fully review it.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

It's been on my Steam wish list for a while, but the mixed reviews are concerning. I was planning on getting it at a deep discount or after some patches improve the game.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

I had been in on the Kickstarter way back when, and the 1 year wait to get access after the original Windows version was released was really annoying as a MacOS user. That said, I'm enjoying a lot of it still. Very puzzle heavy, and some of the puzzles are really not straightforward. I've found that a few false starts in the game helped me to get a handle on stuff and I seem to have a pretty decent game going now.

The most fun part is all of the party member conversations that go on from time to time. It's good when two of your party start talking to just stop exploring and listen to see what laughs are coming. :)
---

kelticpete
Council Member

Post by kelticpete »

I never finished it but I got about 80% through the game.

It had some major downsides at times... the puzzles were super hard.. fun when you figured them out... annoying when you looked up the answer and still had trouble (some are visual puzzles very complex)

combat took getting used to.

But the music, voice acting (especially the npcs bantering, the world setting, lore etc.. even the combat once I got the hang of it... was all really good imo.

liked the story.

So.. did you end up completing the game? I got the point where it said, "point of no return" and then went back to make sure I had done all the quests, found the good gear etc.. and then sort of puttered out... I should try to finish it.
Pax,

Pete

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is the Great Pink Vorpal Bunny. Copy and paste Pink Vorpal Bunny on your signature to help gain Pink Vorpal Bunny gain world domination!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

kelticpete wrote: September 28th, 2022, 11:29 pm So.. did you end up completing the game? I got the point where it said, "point of no return" and then went back to make sure I had done all the quests, found the good gear etc.. and then sort of puttered out... I should try to finish it.
I did finish it, though I never finished the Dwarven realm section (it's not required to complete the game and there are some ridiculously hard sections in there and no way to turn around once you get past the first two fights). I agree that a few of those puzzles were just crazy. I had to look up two solutions after I'd spent a few hours flipping things around and not getting the answer. The banter is really what it's all about. Someday I may go back to it and build a custom party to take on the stuff in the Dwarven caves, but probably not. Too many other games and I already saved Skara Brae, so...
---