Whats your favourate roguelike?

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Rustybolts
Pledge

Whats your favourate roguelike?

Post by Rustybolts »

On Linux I played Nethack for a bit but interface wasn't to good so i started playing Stonesoup. Recently I have started playing ToME http://te4.org/ great game. On my tablet (Android) i have been playing Dweller.
Which roguelike games do you consider the best on your given OS platform?
ariten
Pledge

Re: Whats your favourate roguelike?

Post by ariten »

I have probably spent the most time with ADOM, although I have never actually won the game.
Apart from that I would recommend IVAN. It is a pity that it is not being developed anymore.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Angband and ADOM were a big time waster for me way back when. :)

Both of which I won. ADOM I won only in the earlier versions, never got around to finishing the last one when I still had my Amiga computer.

I had to stop playing them so much due to carpal tunnel. I don't deal well with pain. :roll:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

I've always been partial to the roguelikes derived from Moria (and Moria itself for that matter). My favorites are the Angband variants with ZAngband being my absolute favorite.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
getter77
Senior Steward

Post by getter77 »

Total time probably has Triangle Wizard edging out Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup, the Shiren series, and various others. ToME 4 is really coming along at a good clip of development though.
http://www.roguetemple.com/forums/index.php?topic=395.0 What I'm trying to accomplish in life.
Sir Funk
Initiate

Post by Sir Funk »

If anyone cares to play some Nethack a friend of mine is hosting a graphical Nethack online at: http://173.230.141.89/nethack/
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

I was playing the Falcon version of NetHack before development stop. I am now playing the Vulture version of NetHack.
History is written by the winners!
Motrax
Pledge

Post by Motrax »

Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup is such an un-catchy name, but it's the best roguelike by far (I'm sure noone will disagree with that :wink: ).

The tiles are great, it's really easy to get into, and still deeply challenging, especially going for complete wins. (I've played it quite a bit and only managed the easiest possible "3 rune" win.)
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

You guys should check out Legerdemain

http://roguelikefiction.com/
Doctor Bellows
Pledge

Post by Doctor Bellows »

Both ADOM and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. I've played lots, but these two are the best IMO.
GameFace
Initiate

Post by GameFace »

I've played a lot of roguelikes, and Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup is definitely my favorite. Right now I am playing the Dungeon Sprints in that game.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I am a fan of Roguelikes, but I haven't played too many in the last 5 years.

What makes Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup so good?

Also, could a Roguelike be commercially successful? Would Roguelike fans pay for a high-quality graphic Roguelike?
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
AXS
Apprentice

Post by AXS »

I think it could be a commercial success. but it would require to have, not only MANY items , skills , monsters, classes. etc.....

It should be CUSTOMIZABLE to the maximum, (think of the old DUNGEON HACK) to have many of it´s options changeable or randomized, number of levels, creature types, caps, gameplay ETC.

And maybe an open game or focus game option.

The open game, would allow you to go "outside" the normal dungeon and go to towns , forests etc, letting you to wander outside gather items , buy ,rest etc.it would be a little generated map only, not a big one.

The focused one: WON´T let you out the dungeon , you can´t buy anything, rest safely , etc.
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

TOME already does that.
GameFace
Initiate

Post by GameFace »

re: What makes Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup so good?

Personally I really like the way skills are developed. There is an experience pool which is increased when you kill foes and sometimes by other means, and this experience can be allocated to whichever skills you choose to practice at (though the ability to train each skill is influenced by the type of character you are playing). Fun to micro-manage :D .

About a commercial version of the game, well it's not that it would not be worth paying for. But it seems untraditional, for games that have been developed as open source projects with many contributors.

I remember playing Rogue around 1981 when I was 9 or 10 years old, by dialing over an acoustically coupled modem into Bell Labs.