Balrum

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
vdweller
Senior Steward

Re: Balrum

Post by vdweller »

How reminiscent of Eschalon is this? I am especially interested in the overall feeling of exploring!
Calathon
Marshall

Post by Calathon »

It is remisicent of Eschalon, but from my point of view it lacks the feeling and gameplay.

Even at high levels you will never feel like a great hero because the enemies you encounter are about the same level and have far more hitpoints than you (as mentioned before). Therefore combat is a thing in Balrum which upset me, whereas I liked it in Eschalon. I have not played as a mage in Balrum, but it is said that they have an even harder time than fighter-based characters.

I think 10-15 $ for this game is not a waste of money because the crafting and housing system is very nice and maybe there will be updates in the future which will improve the game. And the thing I am doing right now (after having completed the game) is to expand my safeplace, a feature I really love.

You will do a lot of exploring and sometimes you do not even have a map, so exploring is a big thing in Balrum. But then again, you often cannot walk 20 steps without having to fight again.

But you should not expect to get a game of the quality and replayability of the Eschalon trilogy plus some nice features you always wanted to see in Eschalon, because unfortunately that is not what Balrum is.
"It is early morning, quiet and peaceful."
Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

Balrum released on GOG:

https://www.gog.com/news/release_balrum

40% discount right now, they say.

Judging from the vid, it's the love-child of Eschalon and Harvest Moon.

What with all the survival and building stuff, I just hope it's not micromanaging hell, because that have killed a lot of otherwise good titles.
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

Post by Prismatic Maelstrom »

Achievements for this game were released a couple of weeks ago. Could someone please tell me what the new difficulty setting 'Grandmaster' entails? If it's just more health to enemies and more damage to you I'll avoid it. Can't check myself because I haven't been able to use my main computer for a handful of weeks now because I had to move property.
Book II and Book III Soundtrack on YouTube | Thaermore Revisited - A Mod for Eschalon: Book I