US English
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Save game error

Post by CrazyBernie »

So much for that idea... >.<

The problem is unlikely to have anything to do with the read only attribute:
Microsoft wrote:Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories, and other programs. For example, you can delete, rename, and change a folder with the Read-only attribute by using Windows Explorer. The Read-only and System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether the folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view customized by Windows (for example, My Documents, Favorites, Fonts, Downloaded Program Files), or a folder that you customized by using the Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box. As a result, Windows Explorer does not allow you to view or change the Read-only or System attributes of folders.
The whole reason why it is shaded (set to the third option, as you described) is because it's not a normally usable option for folders. However, if you still want to try changing it...
Microsoft wrote:To view or to remove the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003 or in Windows XP
Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
To view the syntax for the Attrib command, type attrib \? at the command prompt.
Warning If you remove the Read-only or System attribute from a folder, it may appear as a ordinary folder and some customizations may be lost. For example, Windows customizes the Fonts folder and provides a special folder view that permits you to hide variations, such as bold and italic. It also permits you to change the folder's view settings in ways that are specific to fonts. If you remove the Read-only and System attributes of the Fonts folder, these customized view settings are not available. For folders that you have customized by using the Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box, the folder icon and other other customizations may be lost when you remove the Read-only attribute.

If a program cannot save files to a folder with the Read-only attribute, such as My Documents, change the Read-only attribute to System by using the Attrib command at a command prompt.

To remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute, use the following command:
attrib -r +s drive:\<path>\<foldername>
For example, to remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute for the C:\Test folder, use the following command:
attrib -r +s c:\test

Be aware that some programs may not operate correctly with folders for which the System attribute and the Read-only attribute are set. Therefore, use the following command to remove these attributes:
attrib -r -s c:\test
Architekt
Initiate

Post by Architekt »

Hmm. The times I've alt-tabbed out when it happened I've noticed that the "tmp" directory was full of lots of stuff, like what other save game folders contain. I'm not sure if that's where the saves occur as part of some temp/scratch space thing, but perhaps there's some file handles not released (or not released quickly enough?) before the remove directory call takes place. That's the only other thing I can think of, there's not that many reasons for a directory deletion to fail. I'm unfortunately not going to be able to play for a while, I'm way too busy with work, but I'll try to remember to check for any open file handles the next time it happens.
Kylarean
Pledge

Post by Kylarean »

I also get the same DELDIR error every once in a while. I just kept an explorer window open and when it happened, I would ALT-TAB out to explorer and create the directory myself (the directory is really deleted - just not recreated). So if I had slot1 - slot4 as saved slots and the error happened when saving to slot3, I'd have to manually go in and add the directory. If I didn't then I could only use slot1 and slot2 (slot4 wouldn't even be seen in the save/load screen) to save.

Vista Ultimate 32bit with SP1
TremaineHFox
Pledge

Post by TremaineHFox »

I am also getting this error. It would seem to happen when I do things quickly, and would happen regardless of whether I used Quicksave or another save slot. I would save, do a couple of actions, and then save again, all within a matter of seconds. If my saves are spaced widely apart, nothing happens.

I've completely lost my save file because of this. I'd have to start over, but I've been playing less than an hour. I suppose I'll do a three-save-file rotation for now, in case one disappears. Still... :/

Windows XP SP3, fully patched.
LordFess
Initiate

Post by LordFess »

I was wondering if this DELDIR.error issue has been resolved.... I can no longer save except with the quick save..... Please help!! Quicksave only in this game is not sufficient. I am running Windows 7 64 bit.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

LordFess wrote:I was wondering if this DELDIR.error issue has been resolved.... I can no longer save except with the quick save..... Please help!! Quicksave only in this game is not sufficient. I am running Windows 7 64 bit.
I'd suggest PM'ing CrazyBernie - if anyone can help you out, he can...
LordFess
Initiate

Post by LordFess »

Thanks I will do that! :D

Edit : Hey I looked for that name "CrazyBernie" in the Members List but did not see that name listed there....... I did see a "CrazyBecky" though.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

LordFess wrote:Thanks I will do that! :D

Edit : Hey I looked for that name "CrazyBernie" in the Members List but did not see that name listed there....... I did see a "CrazyBecky" though.
You could just look at the second post on this page in this topic. (About 5 posts up from here)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

You may have to delete/recreate the save slots for it to work properly. I'm not @ my desktop, so I forget exactly where Book I stores the "Eschalon Book I Saved Games" folder in Win7... should either be in your documents folder or in the user\roaming folder... just delete/recreate each save folder (they should be numbered slot1, slot2, slot3, etc).

As I've mentioned before, the only times I've personally run across this error is when I had that particular save folder open in Windows Explorer... it might have been triggered by antivirus software as well.

Just keep in mind that the slot1 folder is your quicksave, so you might want to leave that one alone.
LordFess
Initiate

Post by LordFess »

I noticed this error started happening right after I installed the full Steam version of the game........ Prior to the error happening I was playing the Steam demo.....

I did fix the problem though by deleting the quick saves and restarting a new character from scratch.......I hated to do that but I was able to start out with a much wiser build cause this time around I started out with alot smaller skill spread which made my new fighter a one shot badd a#@ right from the get go......
Ravenlock
Pledge

Post by Ravenlock »

I'm also getting this error consistently - just purchased the game from Impulse tonight, as I described over here after seeing the other thread.

Like LordFess, I'm running Win7 64 bit.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

IIRC, creating a "Eschalon Book 1 Saved Games" folder in the game directory should cause it to save there by default.
vironica
Initiate

Post by vironica »

I have tried everything in this thread and nothing helps permanently. I can't save anything any more.

The funny thing is, the game says it has a problem deleting a dir (DELDIR), but the dir is actually getting deleted. After that error, the original save folder is gone and no new folder takes it's place there. It looks more like some logic flaw in the save game code, maybe interpreting some return value from Window's deldir function incorrectly.
vironica
Initiate

Post by vironica »

To reproduce the problem just press the quicksave button as fast as you can. After some time, the DELDIR appears and after that nothing can be saved anymore in any slot. DANGER: this destroys your quicksave slot and none of the other saves can be loaded afterwards without manual copying.