Typos?

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Chuck
Initiate

Post by Chuck »

Version 1.03

Both the smith in Bordertown and Lilith in Tangleroot Forest have the word "sholder" instead of "shoulder" in conversation and description texts.
Siemova
Apprentice

Post by Siemova »

When you walk into the Ossuary entry chamber, some descriptive text appears. In it, "viscously" should be "viciously."

Also, when speaking of the underground repository, Lilith says, "These people all share two things;". That semicolon ought to be a colon.

EDIT: This is actually in 1.04 on a Mac, but I assume typos and such are cross-platform. :)
"What you embrace is what you become."
Siemova
Apprentice

Post by Siemova »

Found a couple more, this time in Skill Point distribution.

In the explanation of Alchemy:
...more potent a mixture your can create.
Also, in the description of Speed:
lower base armor rating
Shouldn't that be "higher"?
"What you embrace is what you become."
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

1.05 is still a possibility, but really we have just been working so hard to get Book II ready for it's first public showing that all Book I development is on hold for now.

As for typos, we probably know of all the remaining ones- besides the typos listed here in this thread, we have been emailed many from sharp-eyed players. Still, you are welcome to post them if you want.
Cal
Apprentice

Post by Cal »

Sorry to be a johnny-come-lately...

...but I just noticed that when you manage to make a save-throw on a disease, it says you've "succuessfully" fought off the disease...

"Successfully" would be the correct spelling.

EDIT: Oops...this should've been in the Mac section... :?
DewiMorgan
Initiate

Re: Typos?

Post by DewiMorgan »

Here's an errata file I wrote, because I was considering making an unofficial patch for these things. Don't think I will, since it'd involve patching the exe, but here it is for reference anyway. These are current on the latest steam version: 1.0.5 I think.

Where others have found an error, I've credited them. This list includes all other un-fixed typos that I could find reported on this forum to date.

Beware: SPOILERS.

=====================
=== CONVERSATIONS ===
=====================

Maddock:
========

"Who? Well, I don't know really. I try not to get too involved with other people's business. Years ago I was a courier for Lord Archable, so people have always just entrusted me with important matters. A gentleman came to town a while back and paid me to do this job for him- to hold on to these items for someone with your name fitting your description. He wore a mask and I wasn't able to see his face. I didn't ask who he was or why he needed this done. It's the Courier's Code not to ask questions."

him - to (punct: dashes must always have equal space on either side.)

"Yes, the Orakur- those thieving creatures that live underground! They can't be trusted! If you ask me, our forefathers should have wiped them out when they first arrived, then we wouldn't be in this mess. I am glad the current Chancellor has the fortitude to stand up to them and make them pay for their crimes."

Orakur - those (punct: dashes must always have equal space on either side.)

I'd like to ask you someting else. [BACK]

something

Father Michael:
===============
"The Bethel always has work for people wishing to serve the Will of Luna, although you don't earn gold for doing these jobs- you earn honor which is much more valuable!"

jobs - you (punct: dashes must always have equal space on either side.)

"Wonderful! You may retreive the potion from the chest here in the Bethel. Remember, you must be very careful in the Salted Coast region. Since the war began, the Commonwealth Guard withdrew from the area and it has fallen under control by pirates, thugs and cutpurses."

retrieve (i before e...)

Farwick:
========
"If you could recover this bar of Mithril for me, I'd pay you a reward worth the face value of the raw metal. Before you agree, let me warn you: this was no ordinary wine cellar. I filled it with traps designed to keep theives away, and by now I'm sure there are things more dangerous than traps down there. It won't be a simple task."

thieves (i before e...)

"Hail, my name is Farwick, owner of this metalworks shop. Can I show you something from my current stock?"

(I suspect that either "this metalworks." or "this metalwork shop." would be more correct, but it works as is.)

Abygale:
========

"I'm sorry, I don't really know much about it other than it has to do with the theft of a gemstone. I personally think it is absurd that so many lives have been lost over such a trival matter. This war is about nothing more than the pride of the Chancellor. If you really want to know more about it you should go speak to our Council Head, Eleanor Mistlepine, though I suspect she'll just give you the patriotic speach she gives everyone."

trivial
speech
Brit: "Go speak" rather than "go and speak", or "go to speak" feels (to my British sensibilities) like a bit of a jarringly modern Americanism.

Abygale pauses and takes a deep breath, aware that she has upset herself. "Grimmhold is now unsafe and probably not even passable. If you absolutely must travel west, you should take the northern pass. Unfortunately, this is a much longer journey and probably just as dangerous- but I guess it's safer than trying to go around Tangletree Forest to the south. The southern route is plagued with bandits."

dangerous - but (punct: dashes must always have equal space on either side.)

"No one knows really.They are called underfolk; beings that live in perpetual darkness underground and have inhabited this region far longer than us humans have. Practically everything I have ever heard about them come from legends and wives' tales. Before this war most people thought of the Orakur as nothing more than spooky creatures that were told to children in bedtime stories. Whatever they are, they must be fierce warriors- the Chancellor has called every Guard from eastern Thaermore into service, leaving us out here to defend ourselves."

really. They (missing space)
warriors - the (punct: dashes must always have equal space on either side.)

Eleanor:
========
"I've seen many strange beasts roaming around outside the village and ruined buildings. What has happened to this land?"

Could do with a comma, "village, and" to separate the roaming from the buildings.

"Of course! This is my office where I conduct the village's business. Next door is the Bethel of the Green Moon, run by Father Micahel, who offers healing services. Up the street to the northeast you'll find the Owl's Roost Tavern, the Magick Emporium and the Wayward Blacksmithe shop."

Michael
Blacksmith

"Hmm, your situation is very odd indeed" Eleanor says with a puzzled look upon her face. She steps back and quickly examines you. "Well, I know everyone here in Aridell and the surrounding region and I've never met you before. There have been several shipwrecks along the Salted Coast to the south in recent weeks- perhaps you were a passenger or a hand on one of these ships and have suffered amnesia. Or, maybe you were bitten by one of the vile creatures which roam this area. Many of these beasts produce toxins that have unknown effects on humans, possibly even memory loss.
Why don't you stay in Aridell for a couple days and see if your memory returns. You can visit Father Michael next door in the Bethel of the Green Moon if you need further healing and you can get a room at the Owl's\x17Roost Tavern.

weeks - perhaps (punct: dashes must always have equal space on either side.)
Owl's Roost Tavern (remove extra space, change apostrophe to legal character)

"It is regarding honor and justice. It is about reclaiming something that was taken from the people of Thaermore. Three years ago, without reason or provocation, the Orakur chose to undermine centuries of peaceful co-existence with us by stealing the Crux of Ages straight out from under our noses! The Crux- the very spirit of Thaemore- taken as a vagabond would take an apple! Of course, there was a huge public outcry over this event and the Chancellor issued a proclamation stating their actions constituted an act of war. We have been fighting this conflict with them ever since."

Crux - the
Thaermore - taken (note spelling as well as spacing)

"Greetings, traveler! I am Eleanor Mistlepine, Council Head here in the village of Aridell. We get very few visitors out this way, so please- if there is anything I can do for you during your stay, please do not hesitate to ask."

please - if

"Hmm, not much is known about them really. From what I understand they are a race of underground dwelling creatures. Some say they are twisted decedents of the Dwarves, but no one really knows. They are horribly bothered by the sun and never come above ground, even at night because the open air scares them. They thrive in the dark, narrow passages of the underground, surrounded by stone. They rarely fight on their own- they prefer to swarm their enemies with the underground creatures that they seem to hold command over. That is why this land now is so plagued with vile creatures. They use these creatures to wear us down, to drive us from these lands."

own - they

Eleanor pauses. "Say, I have a book of The History of Thaemore in the drawer beside my desk. You are welcome to take it if you want; it is rather outdated but perhaps there is information in there that can be of help to you."

Thaermore

Porter:
=======
"Not much news makes it out this way anymore" Porter says, tossing the washrag over his sholder. "In fact, I was kinda hoping maybe you had some news for us, you know, with you being from out of town and all."

shoulder

"Oh, him? His name is Garrett. Poor guy came in here a month ago and hasn't left. He was a navigator on a ship that was attacked and sank south of Thaermore. He was found unconcious on a beach on Salty Coast. As far as he can tell, he's the only one who made it off the ship alive. He's still in shock about it. He just sits here day and night drinking to forget, I guess."

on the Salted Coast
unconscious

dying soldier:
==============

This soilder lays here silently. It appears death has taken him.

soldier

He looks at your face and struggles to focus. "You are not with the Commonwealth Guard! Wh..where are our reinforcements?"

Wh... where (ellipsis always has three dots, and either a leading or trailing space.)

"Perhaps, but you can't do it on your own. <cough> The Goblins destroyed the lever that retracts the gates barricading the Eastern Gap. The only way to open the gates now is to activate the secondary water gate beneath Grimmhold which will...<cough>...will force the gates open. But they infest that area as well. We tried to clear them out but their numbers were too great."

will... <cough> ...will (or)
will... <cough>... will

"Don't be a fool! Six of my Guardsmen couldn't accomplish this feat...I...[cough]" // With that last cough, the soldier appears to lack the strength needed for another breath. He gasps and shakes as blood spurts from his mouth. As his eyes roll back into his head, his body goes limp.

feat... I... [cough]"

"You...you did this on your own? Six of my men failed to do this!" // The man's eyes seem to fill with despair. "I am afraid I do not believe you. You are a fool if you think you can clear the goblins from Grimmhold by yourself. You'll need to take the northern route through Thaermore to go west of here...I...[cough]" // With that last cough, the soldier appears to lack the strength needed for another breath. He gasps and shakes as blood spurts from his mouth. As his eyes roll back into his head, his body goes limp. He is at rest.

"You... you
here... I... [cough]"

Lilith:
=======
Lilith tosses a rag covered in berry stains over her sholder. "Well, during your travels through Tangletree you may have noticed unusually large wasps flying about. They are called Hive Drones and they are very aggressive. Their numbers have increased and I believe it is because a Hive Queen has settled somewhere in this area. I need you to find the hive and kill the Hive Queen. When she is gone the Drones will leave this area and search for a new queen. Under any other circumstance my skills with a blade would be more than enough to do the job myself, but it turns out I am extremely allergic to bee stings."

shoulder (spotted by Chuck at http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... 2&start=45 )
[nb: She's allergic to bee stings, but describes Hive Drones as very large wasps. Bee stings and wasp stings are apparently *completely* different - one is acid, one alkali. So maybe she's not a liar: just unaware of this difference. Darn, there goes my justification.]

"Ha! Really? My, you certainly are intimidating, aren't you? Do you have any idea who I am? Of course you don't or you would realize that you are heading towards an ending that I promise you do not want to experience. I'll tell you what- I'll let this one mistake of yours slide and give you another chance to accept my offer."

what - I'll

"Excellent! A fews days ago I was searching for mushrooms near Whistling Cave south of here and I ran across a large number Drones. I'm sure the hive is in there."

few days
number of Drones

"Well, unfortunately I can't tell you its exact location, but just go to the town of Blackwater and snoop around a bit. Don't bother to ask anyone about it because nobody there knows anything- well, at least they'll act like they don't know anything. In fact, just talking about it can get you killed, so do the right thing and stay quiet. If you look around long enough, you'll find what you are searching for."

anything - well

"Yes, a word of caution: due west of here is a very dangerous area called Baron's Thicket. There was once a hunting camp owned by Lord Thorndike located there. He kept it stocked with Carniraptors- bipedal reptiles that can strip flesh from bone in seconds. No one tended to the camp after the war began and the Carniraptors have escaped, and they now roam freely throughout Baron's Thicket. I recommend that you do not travel straight west from here."

Carniraptors - bipedal
(stripping some flesh from bone is something one does with a chicken wing in a small amount of time. Better: "your flesh from your bones"/"a man's flesh from his bones"/"a person's flesh from their bones", etc).

"What can I tell you? I think it is very suspicious, that's what I can tell you. A couple years ago this gem, the 'Crux of Ages', supposedly disappears and the Chancellor declared war with these Orakur creatures that no one seems to know anything about. Soon after that most of Thaermore is overrun with Goblins and all sorts of vermin from the underground. The Chancellor, rather than defend this region, just closes off the all the exit points and leaves everyone here to defend themselves. What kind of war plan is that?"

("couple years" again feels like a modern US regionalism: "couple of years" may be smoother for many).

Erik:
=====
"Hail traveler! Come here! My name is Erik and this is my metalshop here in Bordertown. Please, let me to show you some of my stock."

metal shop (this is the spelling used by Gunther)

"Unfortuantely I am a bit short on gold. Do you have any work for me?"

Unfortunately

"Before you just agree to it, remember that it weighs 70 pounds. If you sucessfully get it to Gunther, he will pay you 600 gold. It's a big job with big pay!"

successfully

Erik chuckles, resting his hammer upon his sholder. "Yes, I suppose so. The Captain at Darkford occasionally orders supplies from me and I do a lot of work maintaining the soldiers weapons, not to mention supplying travelers such as yourself. Yeah, I'd say I do more business here than I ever did in Vela. Still, I'd gladly give it up to be able to head home again."

shoulder (already pointed out by Chuck here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=817)

The guard looks at you as if pondering the legitimacy of your threat. Assumingly unwilling to gamble it, he concedes. "Alright then. You go straight in and stay to the left. If the Captain is busy you just set the letter on his table and leave. If you are caught doing anything else but delivering this letter, I will cut your feet off myself."

Presumably unwilling (instead of "Assumingly" which in fact means "presumptuous").

"Well, yes, I do need something but it isn't going to be an easy task. You see, I had purchased a bit of Divine Ore from Farwick in Aridell a few months ago. On route for delivery, it was stolen by a band of Mercenaries who have a hideout somewhere east of here. I don't know if they still have it or if they sold it, but if you are as tough as you look, maybe you could 'convince' them to do the right thing and give it back"

En route (on route sounds like it makes sense, but it doesn't. http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/601/on-in/ )

"Good god son! You carried this damn thing all the way from Bordertown on your back!?" Gunther helps you set it on the ground. It reaches the floor with a deep thud, raising the dust that had long settled between the floorboards. "Well, Erik had set the delivery charge on this thing at 600 gold, so I guess you're the man who gets it. Here you go, you deserve every bit of it!"

"By the gods! (elsewhere, Garrett and the dying soldier have thanked or sworn by "gods", not "god", implying a polytheistic society. )

Leurik:
=======

"I find that a bit hard to believe. You look as though you're nothing more than a common adventurer, and people such as yourself think nothing of looting the dead. Life is just a big adventure to you, isn't it? Well I..."
Leurik stops in mid sentance, as if an ingenious idea suddenly comes to him. "I'll tell you what. This is not something I would normally do, but these are not normal times now, are they? I happen to have a bit of a problem downstairs in my basement. It is full of Salamanders. If you were to go down there and clear the basement out, I would gladly give you a key to the crypt as payment for your services. Deal?"
"My business is my own. Give me the key."

sentence (this passage appears twice)

Vault Master:
=============

The ugly little creature just stares at you, his upper lip curling back into a half smile, half snarl. "Just a moment, human." He raises his hand and makes a slight gesture. In an instant the room fills with guards and before you can react they rush upon, you pinning you to the ground. Your gear is stripped from your body. As you struggle to break free a single blow to the back of your head renders you unconcious.

upon you, pinning (punctuation)
unconscious

Paul:
=====
"Oh, you startled me! I thought you were one of those wretched cutpurse thugs that are always trying to sneak in here. My name is Paul. I don't know who you are or what you want, but I warn you- I am sick. You best not stay long or you're likely to catch what I've got."

you - I

"I recommend you don't stay too long...you may catch what I've got."

long... you

"I've gotten infected with a disease called Fleshrot. It'll kill me eventually, if the murderous thugs in the area don't get me first." // Paul pulls the sleaves down over the sores on his arms. "I don't think there is anything I can do about it. I've tried countless remedies and potions, but the disease has progressed too far. I am just trying to stay comfortable for what time I have left."

sleeves

"When Father Michael heard that I recovered his 'sealed letter' he sent someone to retrieve it. He also sent me a whole salted ham to show his appreciation for my efforts in securing the letter. But within a day of eating some of the meat I was stricken with this horrible disease. Apparently the Father wanted to make sure I hadn't accidently read anything that might incrimiate him."

accidentally
incriminate (noted by moldar http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... ?f=8&t=442 )

"I don't know. All I know is that I actually kept the original letter. What I sent back to him was something I copied by hand and, well, changed a few of the instructions around." Paul smiles. "I was able to restick the wax seal on the fake letter so that it looked legitimate. There's no way the portal will ever work with the instructions I gave him!"

reseal the letter (or) reseal the wax on the letter (restick isn't a word, though re-stick could work, awkwardly)

You see a beaten, bloodied man hanging from a rack device. As you approach him, he slowly lifts his head and tries to look at you. His eyes are mostly swollen shut but he manages to force them open enough to catch a glimps of your face. // "Brother? Brother! Is...is that you?"

glimpse

Brother:
========
"Brother, you...you shouldn't have written yourself a note. We discussed the dangers of that! What if they find you?"

you... you

He coughs up blood which drips from his chin. "Th...the Crux? Please brother, say not another word! If you possess it, do not tell me. Anything you say to me may be heard by Gramuk. If you do have it, keep it close to you for it may offer some sort of protection. It was the removal of the Crux from Bastion Spire that allowed Gramuk to gain control of the Chancellor's mind. I do not know what else to tell you of it. Perhaps you can seek Erudor advice on the matter, but only if you trust him."

Th... the
Erubor's advice (He's called Erudor 4 times, Erubor 18. Also needs the 's, as pointed out by sultanoswing here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1056 )

"Brother, end my life. I...I am broken. Even with the most powerful of medicines I cannot recover from this. I will be dead in a few hours...please do not allow me to suffer that long."

I... I
hours... please

Mary:
=====
She reacts cautiously as you approach her. "Hail to you, traveler. My name is Mary. If...if you are a bandit come to rob me I must tell you your friends paid a visit not more than 2 days ago. They've taken everything I had. There is no more."
Mary just appears to be standing there waiting. She barely even looks at you.

if... if
two days (people don't speak in digits, especially <100)

Mary pauses as if trying to find the words to continue. "If you find...I mean, if something has happened to him, you may be able to identify him by his wedding band. We were married just last spring and it has not left his finger since that day. It's just a simple gold ring inscribed with my name."

find... I

The woman wrings her hands tightly in a worrisome gesture. "Very well. Thank you anyways. Now if you'll excuse me I have work to do."

worried gesture (worrisome means "causing worry" rather than "indicative of worry": implies it is worrying to the viewer, which her gesture wouldn't be, unless it were the somatic component of a spell. It can mean "inclined to worry", but only when said of a person, not of a gesture: gestures cannot be inclined, nor can they feel worry).

Mary reaches out and takes the ring, then falls to her knees sobbing. "Whether or not the deceased man who possessed this ring was Bradon, something awful must have befallen him for him to give this ring up."

the man you found this ring on ("deceased" there, just feels REALLY stiff and awkward. It threw me right out of game immersion. She's not a coroner, she's his wife.)

Shady man
=========
The shadey man glances at you without saying anything.

shady (both shady and shadey are used to describe him ingame: shady is more common).

Oolaseph
========
Oolasepf senses your approach. "Greetings again, human. How goes your quest?"

Oolaseph

"My brethren- my fellow tree kin- have spoken of you. They have seen your travels. They have seen you smite that which is attacking the land. They have told me you can help defeat this engine of destruction, this coming storm."

brethren - my
kin - have

Thugs:
======

"Well, well! What 'ave we here? Looks to me like this rat was trying to pass through our forest without paying the road tax. Don't you know this 'ere road belongs to us, rat? We don't take kindly to filthy varmin who think they can just walk anywhere they want."
The leader of the thugs releases an obnoxious laugh, flashing a grotesque mouth of jagged, rotting teeth. "Ha ha! You hear that boys?! This foul little rat is threatening our lives, and I don't believe he 'as any intention of paying the tax." The other thugs laugh similarly, closing in on you. "This one needs to learn some respect, he does. What do ya say we open this varmin's gut right 'ere and hang 'em from a tree, eh?"

(I'm guessing here "varmin" is just an accent, rather than a typo, but pointing it out just in case)

"Ah! There, you see boys? This one knows what's good for him." The gang leader steps forward and places the tip of his blade on your stomach, pressing on it with uncomfortable force. He smiles revealing a sparcly filled mouth of rotting teeth. "The tax for using our road is 75 gold. You pay this and you can be on your merry little way. If you don't 'ave it...well, eh, lets just 'ope you do!" // The other thugs encircling you chuckle menecingly. You find the stench of filth and rum almost unbearable.

sparsely filled
menacingly

"Yes, 75 gold is a resonable tax. Here you go." [Give 75 gold]

reasonably

"I will not pay this ridiclous 'road tax'. It is time I be on my way."

ridiculous

Walter:
=======
Walter looks at you as if your question strikes him humorously. "Ha! Erubor? Of course I've heard of him. He is the headmaster here at Shadowmirk. I mean, I've never actually talked to him or even seen him, but I know he lives at the top of this tower. Good luck getting to talk to him. Most acolytes study for years in this place before they get to speak with the headmaster...and you're not even an initiate!" Walter blurts out an annoyingly laugh which sounds like a mule braying.

headmaster... and
annoying laugh

Erubor:
=======
Erudor paces around his study, occasionally glancing into the crystal ball in the center of the room.

Erubor

"I am simply here exploring. I don't know anything about you and I certainly was not looking for you."
"Is that really all you are doing? Well, then, please continue. I happen to be a very powerful mage and I can view the past and the present, though the future is harder to see. However, I have forseen your arrival. I know there are things much greater than you realize happening to you. You must continue the journey you are on and I will not stand in your way, so long as your actions are peaceful."

foreseen

"Yes, yes. This I know. The goblins, they are on the move. I have seen these events unfold. Like the ancient Mystics, I can view the past and the present, though the future is harder to see. I have forseen your arrival and I have seen the goblins plotting against Shadowmirk, but the outcome of these events I cannot predict."

foreseen

"The hex that has befallen the Chancellor occured because the Crux was removed from Bastion Spire. The Crux grants wisdom to those who are in its presence, and without that protection the Chancellor has had his thoughts twisted upon the lies that Gramuk has fed him."

occurred

"Erudor, I have the Crux of Ages."

Erubor

"I know very little about them actually. I do know that they exist, but I doubt they are a threat to anyone. Gramuk has planted this idea in the Chancellor's mind that the Orakur are responsible for the theft of the Crux. Because so little is known about the Orakur it was easy for the people of Thaermore to rally behind the false accusation, even when no evidence supports it. To the common person the Orakur represents all that is dark and sinister. People fear what they do not know, and so the mystery of the Orakur appears to be a far greater threat than the ongoing Goblin scourge."

represent all (possibly - "the Orakur" may be a term that can be used both singly and plurally, but it's always used as a plural, elsewhere).

Omar:
=====

Omar snarls at your demands and reluctantly holds to his agreement. "You now may get key from Chest, then all is done. You take key and leave. Giants have no futher business with you, human."

further

"Human, let me inquire: are you trying to be the savior of all of Thaermore, or are you simply trying to save yourself? The difference means everything."
As Gramuk speaks he paces in a small circle, tapping his staff on the marble floor. "You see human, you are merely a pawn. Erubor has convinced you that you must destroy me to ensure your own survival, but that is not the case. He is not concerned for your wellbeing. He is only concerned for Shadowmirk and Thaermore. He will readily sacrifice you in hopes of protecting these lands. After all, it was he who sent you foolishly into the heart of the Goblin lands all alone. It is only by my lenience that you stand here now, and it is my overwhelming generosity that persuades me to make you an offer."

"It is a simple offer really, one that you can ill afford to turn down: you give me the Crux of Ages and I will let you leave the Citadel unharmed with enough gold to last you the rest of your life. Then you must leave Thaermore and never return. Thaermore will continue to fall into Goblin controll as our insurgency spreads. If you ever return to Thaermore we will look upon you as our enemy, just as all humans are."

control (already pointed out by Leej here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1056 )

"Take but a moment to think about it, human. Do you really care that much about Thaermore? Would you sacrafice yourself for people you don't know and for a land you don't remember?

sacrifice

The wrinkled face of the old golblin curls into a smile. "Well now, dispite the overwhelming imprudence of the race of men, you have shown there is hope for your kind."

goblin
despite

The man raises the tip of his sword to your chest. "There is really no need to lie about it because the Vault Master has already identified you as the person who opened vault 15. That vault, and everything in it, belongs to me."

(as pointed out elsewhere, you can slay the vault master long before taking up the shady man's quest, and still get this message. Simply saying "you were identified" or "you were seen" instead, would work better. Or just "the Repository is impenetrably secure, and you are the only one who had the key". Vault master doesn't need to be involved.)

"No I didn't take anything! I only looked in the vault!"
"Are you calling me stupid? Do you think I believe that? Unfortunately for you I don't know what the contents of the vault were before you decided to take a peek, so I have to assume that took something. After all, you are a murderer so how can I trust you?"

that you took
(This option makes his actions nonsensical. If he didn't know what he was trying to steal, then why try to steal it? That's just retarded. "I don't have a list of everything that was in the vault" might work better, implying that he knew the sword was there but suspects you of stealing something else)

As the old man looks at you, the haze that clouds his thoughts fades away. He begins to look around, taking in his surroundings as if a blindfold had just been removed from his eyes.

Chancellor Malcolm:
===================
you, the (remove one space)

"$, I am Chancellor Malcolm. I...I am sorry. I am a bit confused right now. I feel as though I have just awoken from a very long sleep." // The Chancellor looks around the room examining everything carefully. With each passing moment you see that he is regaining memories, his thoughts becoming clearer. "I can remember...something about the Orakur. But that is not right. The Orakur had nothing to do with..." He pauses in mid sentence and turns back to you. // "The Crux of Ages. It has been returned, has it not? I feel its presence here in the Spire. My boy, are you responsible for returning it?"

I... I
remember... something

The Chancellor smiles. "I don't know where to begin. There are many questions that will need answered. However, I am sure of one thing: the people of Thaermore owe you everything."

need to be answered ("need verbed" is very US regional slang, not even common across all of US)

"While the Crux was missing, I felt an evil presence here in the Spire. There was something influencing me from afar. I can't quite...remember, but I feel as though I had no control of my own thoughts. I have done a great many wrongs to the people of Thaermore. We have much rebuilding to do."

quite... remember

The man just stands there slowly swaying back and forth. He doesn't even seem to realise you have spoken to him.

realize (this US spelling of the word is used everywhere else in the game.)

When you prod him, he suddenly yells out: "Send more troops. Send all we have. Now is not the time to question my authority or judgement!"

judgment is apparently the more common US spelling, though both are accepted, and without the e is ghastly to my British eye (see http://www.dailywritingtips.com/judgement-or-judgment/ )

Penelope:
=========

In this house you see a young woman. She seem a bit startled by your presence.

she seems

"I just stay here in my house most days, which has become difficult because of the horrible stench coming from across the street. I have complained to the city officials but no one has looked into yet."

into it yet

"Oh my...my poor brother! I hadn't heard from him for such a long time. Nearly a month ago he wrote me and said he would be coming to Blackwater soon, but that was all he said. I assumed he hadn't even left Tarel yet." Penelope begins to crumple the letter up as if she is going to dispose of it, but then she stops herself and folds it properly.

my... my

She wipes her eyes and collects herself, unwilling to show any emotion in front of you. "Well, that does it. I have no more family left. With brother gone I am now all alone." She slips the letter into her pocket and pulls out a few coins.

with my brother (she could be using brother as a proper noun, but that would be unusual when speaking to a stranger)

"But sir, I have no more! You look as if you are doing very well for yourself, so why do you want to take from someone who has so little. I am a seamstress and make no more than 2 gold a day!"

so little? (question mark, not period)

"I am sorry. Thank you for the gold." [END}

[END] (wrong closing bracket)

"Look, I don't care. I have problems way bigger than what you are experiencing. I expect a bigger payment and I will gladly find something here in your house worth taking." [END]

than you are (grammar)

William:
========
"I have found a note that is evidence of a plot to kill you." [Give William the Mercenary's Note]

(Unrelated to typos, but this is something that bugged me, though it bugs me in many games: people *believe* you. they are willing to give you a whole wadge of cash, on the assumption that you didn't just scrawl that letter yourself, you didn't just claim to have cleared the marshes of slimes, and so on. Only the shady character ever bothers to check up on you, and that's only because it's the only one the game *lets* you lie to.)

Hesham:
=======

"Well, if you must know, I am working on a project for Leurik. See, we are running out of capacity in our crematorium and he has asked me to come up with a way to mass incinerate bodies. Cremating bodies one at a time in the furnace is just too slow."

(Heh. In the time he's taken to do his research, he could have incinerated every NPC and mob in Thaermore. But this kind of crazy is the problem with all RPGs, really: there are people doing jobs that you need a much larger population to support, but nobody in critical infrastructure jobs without whom everyone will die, like food production.)

"Well, I don't know. I need larvae and you don't look like the type of person who would want to spend hours gathering a bag full of larvae for me." Hasham chuckles. "Well, unless you happened to find some very large larvae, then I'd maybe only need 10 or so to get enough enzyme for this concoction."

ten or so (people don't speak in digits, especially with numbers <100)

"Well, I appreciate your offer. If you bring me back 10 giant larvae I can finish this mixture. I can't pay you any gold for your services, but I could give you a flask of the finsihed Incineration Fuel. I'm sure you could find something useful to do with it."

finished

"Perfect! The enzyme has lowered the vicosity of the oils. This will burn splendidly!" He pours about half the liquid into a seperate flask and turns back to you. "Here, take this for your efforts. Be very careful with it because it is extremely volatile. I'm sure you'll be able to come up with some creative use for it."

viscosity
separate

=============
=== BOOKS ===
=============

You must also be skilled in Alchemy to at least level 5 before trying to imnbue any weapons or armor.

to imbue any

Goblin Clans of Thaermore [...] During the skirmishes of 590, the Commonwealth Guard experienced noted difficulty in suppressing Goblin raids in the southlands.

Southlands (capitalized)

=================
=== MAP FILES ===
=================

"Raptors over 40 stones are legal targets. Killing females during breading or hatchling season is forbidden unless in self defense."

breeding (already reported by Dragonlady at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1220 )

"The Wayward Blacksmithe"

Blacksmith (unless the sign is meant to be spelled Olde Worlde.

"To the souhwest is the remains of Loneloft, the first settlement of Thaermore, destroyed in the great quake of 627."

southwest

a ahnging sign outside a tiny building.

hanging

a basic storage chest constructed of hardwood with bands of coppers.

bands of copper

a crude sign with mispelled words and an arrow pointing east through an opening in the forest.
a dedorative display rack.

decorative

a dusty sign. The words are barely visable under the layer dust and cobwebs.

visible

a flimsy, rotting chest hallf buried in the sand.

half

a gold-rimmed plaque.
a gold-trimmed plaque.

(Both of these might be correct.)

a make-shift sign with an arrow pointng southwest to a newly cut path.

makeshift (it's spelled without the hyphen elsewhere)
pointing

a make-shift sign.

makeshift (it's spelled without the hyphen elsewhere)

a nice wooden sign with fine script writting.

writing

a plaque affixed to a brick wall of what used to be a blacksmith.

a smithy (of blacksmithy; unless the blacksmith himself was an anthropomorphic building?)

a flimsy and broken roadsign made of faded, cracked wood.
a vine-covered roadsign.
a roadsign.
a roadsign.

road sign (that's what they're called everywhere else)

a shoppe plaque.

shop (that's what they're called everywhere else.)

a plaque afixed to a crumbling wall.
a wooden plaque afixed to the side of a small shop.

affixed

an old barrel with made of rotting wood.

barrel made (no "with" - mentioned by RezoApio http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... ?f=8&t=442 )

an barrel filled with scraps of iron.
an barrel with mold clinging to the inside.
an roadside tombstone.
an roadside tombstone.
an simple headstone with a faint message barely visible:
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.
an weathered tombstone.

a (rather than an)

an oddly clean spitoon.
an old, discarded spitoon in the forest clearing.
Looking inside the spitoon, you notice a hidden switch.

spittoon

condition (There is a rope going down the well. Pull it up?) (Yes) (No) ; message(Very odd...this well is completely dry. The bucket is filled with dry leaves.)

odd... this

toggle_port 4361 ; message(The pressure plate triggers the portculis!)

portcullis

======================
==== Misc strings ====
======================

This entry chamber seems to be a sort of "waiting room" where remains are stored until caretakers can move the bones deeper into the ossuary. With no one tending to the ossuary anymore, thieves have viscously raided this area, scattering bones everywhere. At the opposite side of the entry chamber is a doorway. Blood has been smeared across its threshold, a common warding practice meant to keep restless souls from exiting. It is also regarded as a warning sign for the living to stay away.

viciously

The Arcane Skill of *Alchemy deals with the production of Potions and Elixirs through the mixing of Reactants and Reagents. The higher your skill is in *Alchemy, the more potent a mixture your can create. Master Alchemists may also learn the process of applying these mixtures to weapons and armor, imbuing them with extra abilities.

you can (spotted by Siemova http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... 2&start=45)

Rangers are scouts and protectors of their homeland. They are unequaled hunters and survivalists. They fight hand-to-hand in combat only when needed, preferring guerilla tactics and ranged weapons to win battles. The Ranger starts with the *Bows skill.

unequalled
guerrilla

The *Shield Skill deals with the effective use of hand-held shields in combative situations.
The gods of the underworld have temporarily granted you heighten combative skills.
You have been blessed by divinity and temporarily possess heighten combative skills.
This spell creates an intense subsonic wave which temporarily stuns all nearby targets, lowering their combative and defensive abilities. The casting level determines the overall power and range of the blast.

heightened, combat (combative? You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. It's more like "belligerent" or "crabby".)

Sprays the target creature with a vaporous mist of toxic fumes, causing the target to become sickened with poison. Casting level determines the potentcy of the poisonous effect.

potency

Casting upon an ememy causes their flesh to rip apart, inflicting 5-7 points of magick damage per casting level.

enemy

The caster lays his hands upon his opponent, channeling a higher power to inflict terrible damage into the target creature. The effect of the spell is 6-10 points of magick damage per casting level.

channelling

This spell allows the caster to see the faint electromagnetic aura that all creatures emit, whether they are living, animated or extra dimentional. In daylight this has practically no effect, but in darkness the caster is able to see all creatures glowing green which clearly reveals their location. Using Predator Sight, a caster does not receive any penalty for attacking in low light conditions. Spell duration is 40 rounds per casting level.

dimensional

This spell creates a bubble of crushing air around several targets, inflicting 6-9 points of damage per casting level.

4-6

Causes the caster to blend with the environment, making him harder To hit. Duration is 20 rounds per casting level.

to hit (lowercase).

When cast upon a trap or trapped object, waves of atmospheric pressure compress upon the trap forcing it into mechanical failure. Most traps, especially those of simpler design, are susceptible to these rapid fluxations of pressure and can fail or be remotely triggered through the casting of this spell. The stronger the casting level, the better chance there is of the trap being eliminated. This spell may be cast multiple times on the same trap in effort to disarm it.

fluctuations

Recover your amulet from the casket of 'Adler Keldam'. His casket is in a crypt located in Eversleep Cemetery in the North Parish area. If you can't open the crypt door yourself, the cemetary director has a key. His house is north of Aridell.

cemetery

Leurik has agreed to give you a key to the crypt in Eversleep Cemetery if you eliminate the Salamanders that plague the basement benieth his home in North Parish.

beneath (noted by GSV3MiaC http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... ?f=8&t=442 )

Your dying brother said you need to go to Shadowmirk, the Mage Citadel on the northern shores of Thaermore. Find a wizard name Erubor and tell him that the goblins are planning an attack on Shadowmirk.

named

A note you left for yourself says you must find your brother. He is probaby being held captive by the Goblins in the abandoned city of Vela.

probably

A shadey character in Lonely Spirits Tavern in Blackwater has offered to pay you 500 gold to kill Lilith, the woman who lives near Lake Atria in Tangletree Forest. Return her amulet to him as proof of your success.

shady (He's referred to inconsistently as both shadey and shady in the game).

You have learned of a great bow hidden in Lorus of Eastleaf's tomb in Tangletree Ossuray. The sliding lock on his vault must be set to 98 to open it.

Ossuary

Your eyeslids are covered in crusty, seeping scabs, limiting your vision.

eyelids

[Save vs Disease: SUCCESS!] You have succuessfully fought off the disease '

successfully (pointed out by Cal http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... 2&start=45 )

This trap has been successfuly disarmed!

successfully

A curse was cast upon you, however as an atheist find the idea absurd and suffer no effect.

you find

For the next 10 rounds, all spell can be cast using half the mana as normal.

spells

Conjuror

Conjurer

Helpful playing tip: ||When you discover a locked object, any keys in your inventory are tried on the lock. If you have the proper key, the lock will release auto- matically. If you have lockpicks in your inventory, you will be given the option to pick the lock.

Is the hyphen avoidable?

Helpful playing tip: ||*Mana *Points recover more quickly than *Hit *Points, but if you depend on spells for your survival it's smart to keep a few Mana Potions on hand for instant mana rejunvination.

rejuvenation

Helpful playing tip: ||A switch can be flipped at a distance by throwing something at it, or hitting it with a spell that can damage map objects. Remember, this is the same as bashing, so hold down the &Left &Shift ket to target it.

key to

This seems to be a very rare or unique potions. It's effects are unknown.

potion

Heals physical wounds when drank. Restores +15 Hit Points.
Restores +15 Mana points when drank.
Heals physical wounds when drank. Restores +40 Hit Points.
Restores +40 Mana points when drank.
When drank, this potion allows a caster to use only half the amount of Mana normally spent when casting a spell. The effect only lasts 10 rounds.
Restores +100 Mana points when drank.

drunk

This potion grants the drinker steadfast eyesight and concentration, which gives him +8 ToHit abililty. Effect lasts 100 rounds.

ability

Causes the drinker to become completely invisibile. The duration is 10 rounds.
Causes the drinker to become completely invisibile. The duration is 20 rounds.
Causes the drinker to become completely invisibile. The duration is 30 rounds.

invisible

This target appears to be uneffected by the spell.

unaffected

Target was not charmed, but it appears they may be effected if the spell were cast at a higher level.
Target was not entangled, but it appears they may be effected if the spell were cast at a higher level.

affected

There seemed to be absolutly no effect upon the trap at this casting level. Try casting the spell at a higher lever.

absolutely

This person is unconcious...probably because of something you did.

unconscious... probably

&Speed is a measure of how quickly your character is able to perform actions. The higher your Character's &Speed is, the faster he can swing a melee weapon (thus increasing maximum deliverable damage) and the lower his base ^Armor ^Rating is because he is more able to quickly evade an oncoming attack.

higher his base (pointed out by Siemova http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... 2&start=45 )

(Following are just cases where something has been highlighted in a nonstandard colour)

Helpful playing tip: ||Wearing a piece of armor without being skilled in the appropriate category still gives you some physical protection, but it reduces your ToHit accuracy and the defensive bonuses you may have acquired through your ^Dexterity and ^Speed.

&Dexterity &Speed.

Helpful playing tip: ||Maximum Weapon Damage is calculated from the weapon itself and your skill with it, as well as certain physical Attributes as follows: Bows use ^Dexterity and ^Concentration; Thrown weapons use ^Strength and ^Dexterity; Melee Weapons use ^Strength and ^Speed.

&Dexterity &Concentration &Strength &Speed.

Due to the somatic requirements of casting a spell and your current ^Strength, you are able to only hold ^

&Strength

Helpful playing tip: ||To make ^Hide ^in ^Shadows more effective, stay next to a wall or in a corner surrounded by several walls; this will increase the effect of the Skill. Being surrounded by many trees, especially at night, will also increase the effect of the Skill dramatically.

*Hide *in *Shadows

Helpful playing tip: ||*Mana *Points recover more quickly than *Hit *Points, but if you depend on spells for your survival it's smart to keep a few Mana Potions on hand for instant mana rejunvination.

^Mana ^Hit ^Points

'. Do you wish to open a portal to that location or set a new anchor point? ||You may cancel this spell by pressing *ESC.

&Esc

A custom character portrait ^mypic.png was found but cannot be used because the size of the image is wrong. Custom portraits must be 60 x 60 pixels in size.

$mypic.png, $60 $x $60 $pixels

(Following are because they're called rounds 44 times, turns 4 times)

Total Turns:
Turns Remaining:
Please wait for all turns to finish before attempting this action.

Rounds

Helpful playing tip: ||Eschalon's game world operates on *Turns. Nothing happens until you take a step or perform an action. Learn to use this to your advantage!

*Rounds

(Following are because it's lowercase 41 times, uppercase 3 times]

Gives the caster cat-like vision in low light. Duration of spell is 40 rounds per Casting Level.
Causes vines and tanglebrush to rise from the ground, ensnaring a target. Spell duration is 4 rounds per Casting Level. Large or very strong creatures may cut the spell's duration in half.
Both a Spell and a Casting Level must be selected before the spell can be readied for use.

casting level

(Following are because spell and potion descriptions don't contain any highlights, but all other text does)

This incantation bestows upon the caster a divine blessing, increasing the caster's ToHit and Maximum Damage. The effect of blessing is +1 ToHit probability and +1 Damage per casting level, lasting 100 rounds.

Upon casting, you are bathed in divine light which binds your physical wounds. Heals 3-6 Hit Points for every casting level. Does not cure disease or remove poisoning.
Heals physical wounds when drank. Restores +15 Hit Points.
Heals physical wounds when drank. Restores +40 Hit Points.
Heals physical wounds when drank. Restores +100 Hit Points.

^+N ^Hit ^Points (Bonuses that prefix highlighted items are always highlighted too)

Restores +15 Mana points when drank.
Restores +40 Mana points when drank.
Restores +100 Mana points when drank.

^+N ^Mana ^Points

A ranged spell which bathes a single target with divine energy, causing blisters and lesions upon exposed flesh. Effect is 2-4 hit points of Magick damage per casting level.

2-4 points (Typically, only PC stats are highlighted. Damage is an NPC thing, usually referred to as just "points")

Causes the skin of the caster to become thick and leathery, increasing the caster's Armor Rating and reducing the effects of physical damage. Casting level determines amount of effect and duration is 100 rounds.
Causes the skin of the caster to become hard like stone, greatly increasing the caster's Armor Rating and reducing the effects of physical damage. Casting level determines amount of effect and duration is 160 rounds.
Causes the skin of the drinker to become thick and leathery, increasing Armor Rating +2 and reducing the effects of physical damage. Effect lasts 100 rounds.
Causes the skin of the user to become thick and leathery, increasing Armor Rating +4 and reducing the effects of physical damage. Effect lasts 100 rounds.
This potion causes the skin of the drinker to become hard like stone, increasing his Armor Rating +8 and reducing the effects of physical damage. The duration is 160 rounds.
Causes the skin of the user to become thick and leathery, increasing Armor Rating +6 and reducing the effects of physical damage. Effect lasts 100 rounds.

^Armor ^Rating

Temporarily increases the Dexterity of the caster, improving any stat affected by Dexterity such as combat accuracy or base Armor Rating. The effect is +5 Dexterity points per casting level, the duration is 160 rounds.

^Armor ^Rating, &Dexterity

This potion grants the drinker steadfast eyesight and concentration, which gives him +8 ToHit abililty. Effect lasts 100 rounds.

^ToHit

This potion grants the drinker +15 points of Dexterity. The effect lasts 120 rounds.

&Dexterity

Temporarily increases the Strength of the caster, improving any stat affected by Strength such as combat damage or encumbrance limit. The effect is +5 Strength points per casting level, the duration is 160 rounds.
This potion grants the drinker +15 points of Strength for 120 rounds.

&Strength

Much like the spell Fleshboil, Massboil causes all living creatures in view (except the caster himself) to be bathed in searing divine light, causing blisters and lesions. The effect is 3-5 points of magick damage per casting level.

*Fleshboil, *Mass *Boil (it's called Mass Boil in the scroll and spell name. It's called Massboil in this one place).

Creates a bubble of dense, high-pressure air around the caster, shielding him from most projectiles. Duration is 20 rounds per casting level. Note: Air Shield works only when the source of the projectile is greater than one space away. It does not

*Air *Shield

This spell grants the caster +3 points of Cartography Skill per casting level, and the duration of the spell is 10 rounds per casting level.

^Cartogtraphy skill ("-skill" is not usually included in the highlight)

This spell allows the caster to see the faint electromagnetic aura that all creatures emit, whether they are living, animated or extra dimentional. In daylight this has practically no effect, but in darkness the caster is able to see all creatures glowing green which clearly reveals their location. Using Predator Sight, a caster does not receive any penalty for attacking in low light conditions. Spell duration is 40 rounds per casting level.

*Predator *Sight

This spell allows the caster to set an anchor point anywhere in the world, and then later recast the spell to open a portal back to that anchor point. Each casting level represents a different portal anchor point, so the more locations you wish to anchor, the more Mana it costs to teleport back to that location.
When drank, this potion allows a caster to use only half the amount of Mana normally spent when casting a spell. The effect only lasts 10 rounds.

^Mana

Supernova sends a fiery blast that emanates from the caster causing 3-4 points of fire damage per casting level on every object and creature in the area.

*Supernova
DewiMorgan
Initiate

Re: Typos?

Post by DewiMorgan »

Heh, thanks - I was expecting a response more like "Do you have no life?" :D Particularly since the odds of these ever getting used for anything are pretty tiny!

That, plus, most of them are really anal and insignificant. :D