The new CDs

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
mathboy
Pledge

The new CDs

Post by mathboy »

Hi, I'm about to buy your game, but have one question before I do so:

If I get the new CDs, does that mean I get the game for all three OSes, Linux, Windows and Mac? Or do I need some kind of activation code to use for example the Linux version if I buy "Windows download plus CD with all 3 versions!"?

Because I really want to get this game, and I'm using Windows right now, but I'll hopefully start using Linux as soon as possible, and would like to be able to play this game using both OS's.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I checked out the most recent (made after the new CDs were announced) posts in the Linux and Mac forum, but did my best to avoid the others, so I didn't stumble on spoilers.

Thank you!
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

I would think so, mathboy. When I bought a download version of Book I (and subsequently a multiple OS CD, but I haven't received it yet) I needed the password to download it, but not to install it. Unless BW's made some radical changes - in his approach to distributing the game as well as coding - you'll have all three versions is my guess.

Edit: I don't know which distribution you're thinking of, but E:BI runs very sweetly in Gutsy! ;)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Yes, you get all three versions and can install them freely on any of your computers.
mathboy
Pledge

Post by mathboy »

Thank you for your quick reply.

How is shipping handled by the way? My name and address contains non-standard characters, that showed up as ? on the receipt. Is it possible for you to change them (if it is, they replacing every ? with an a should work), or do I hope it arrives at my door anyway?

Thank you again.
mathboy
Pledge

Post by mathboy »

Sorry for double posting, but the game arrived today, so anybody else who has a name with strange characters in it probably don't need to worry, because on the address note on the package, the strange characters were included, looking the way they should (I don't know if this is in some FAQ somewhere, or another thread, because I want to avoid spoilers, and there might be others like me).

Thank you!
foxxtrot
Initiate

Post by foxxtrot »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Yes, you get all three versions and can install them freely on any of your computers.
If this is your intent, I would suggest you replace your EULA so that it contains language to this effect. The current EULA is very specific that we have the right to only use the software on a single computer or personal information manager.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Thanks foxxtrot- you are correct: it appears we did not adjust the EULA to reflect these new multi-platform discs. Thank you for pointing it out.