Flickering on main menu, character creation and dungeon

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Kalidarn
Initiate

Flickering on main menu, character creation and dungeon

Post by Kalidarn »

Hi,

Using version 1.04 of the Linux version, I've discovered an annoying flickering (mpeg4) (xvid version) bug in the main menu, character creation and when you enter a dungeon. (It's XviD two-pass so you will need the XviD codec or VLC or something). After entering the game it seems to be fine, it seems to be something especially with the fonts.

I'm using libstdc++-3.3.6, Xorg-7.3 with xorg-server-1.4.2 on kernel 2.6.24-gentoo-r8 with the xf86-video-intel-2.3.2 (Intel Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics and Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.86GHz) @ 1280x768. Tested in KDE 3.5.9 and twm 1.0.4 and no I'm not using compiz-fusion or other compositing effects. I can provide more details if necessary. I am prepared to help in what ever way I can in resolving this issue. The problem seems to go away when in windowed.
Last edited by Kalidarn on June 22nd, 2008, 10:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jude
Council Member

Re: Flickering on main menu, character creation and dungeon

Post by Jude »

I get migraines, so I was worried about flickering in the Mac demo, but I found this in the HELP file, so I bought the now non-flickering game. I hope it helps for Linux, too:

Refresh Rate (Advanced Users Only)

Eschalon’s game engine runs at 60 “ticks” per second, which translates to a screen refresh rate of 60hz. This is the default refresh rate and we do not recommend changing this value. For LCD monitors and laptop screens, this is the standard hardware refresh rate and the game will look its best set at this value.

If you require a higher refresh rate due to the monitor you are running the game on, you will need to open the eschalon.cfg file (using a text editor such as Windows Notepad or Macintosh TextEdit) and manually change the number under the Screen Refresh Rate label to the refresh rate that you want. The eschalon.cfg file is found inside the Eschalon Book I Saved Games folder. This folder is located in your “My Documents” folder in Windows, your “Documents” folder in Macintosh OS X, or your “Home” folder in Linux. If you accidentally corrupt the eschalon.cfg file, simply delete it and the game will create a new one with the default values the next time you start it.
Last edited by Jude on June 22nd, 2008, 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk
Kalidarn
Initiate

Post by Kalidarn »

This is not related to refresh rate. It's set to the default. Also It's only particular text and entities within the dungeon that disappear.
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

I couldn't get your movie to play in Quicktime on my Mac, so I can't see what you mean. Are you using a CRT or LCD monitor, BTW. 60 Hz on a CRT monitor causes quite a flicker. But it sounds like it's a different problem. Sorry I couldn't help.

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
Kalidarn
Initiate

Post by Kalidarn »

I've reuploaded the video as MPEG4 now, and used a better camera (had used my phone but now I've used a proper digital camera).

To answer your question it is an LCD as it's a notebook computer :P
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

No good. The Xvid codec you used for the video requires OS X 10.4 on a Mac, and I have OS X 10.3.9, so I can't view it. Strange, I usually have no problems viewing .avi or .MPEG files, so it must be the app or codec you are using to make them.

Anyway, it probably doesn't matter because I doubt if I know enough to help you if it's not a refresh rate problem. I hope Basilisk Wrangler can figure it out. Good luck.

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
Kalidarn
Initiate

Post by Kalidarn »

The video was encoded in mencoder and works perfectly in windows VLC/Media Player Classic and on linux in VLC and MPlayer. You should consider upgrading to leopard, apple isn't releasing any updates for 10.3.X. In the mean time try VLC.
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

Thanks for the links, Kalidarn. They even have specific Power PPC Mac downloads. Usually the DivX and FlipforMac codecs for Quicktime works for .avi files and other stuff that Quicktime uaually balks at. I also have iSquint and SWF & FLV Player (and Graphic Converter for still pics).

No, I won't be upgrading this Power Mac G4 any further than it is. I don't want to break my old software that runs on OS X 10.3.9, and it also boots into OS 9 just fine. I've also got an old power Mac 6100/60 running OS 8 for really old software. Unfortunately, my old Powerbook 100 running Mac system 6 died. When I can afford a new Mac, it will have the latest OS and will be able to run new stuff, and I'll still have my old software running on my old Macs.

And, *horrors*, I've heard the newest OS X 10.5.3 upgrade breaks Diablo II and Starcraft, even with the Blizzard OS X patches.

Any luck with a fix, for your flickering problem, yet? Have you tried emailing BW for tech support?

I hope you can get it fixed all right. Eschalon's a good game!

Jude

EDIT: Haven't used VLC to watch your clip because I deleted the clip from before when it wouldn't play, and now I can't connect to your server for some reason.
Jude's Wondrous Universe