Ultima III!

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
macdude22
Council Member

Re: Ultima III!

Post by macdude22 »

QUIT POSTING SCREENSHOTS!

They are making me salivate at it's retro deliciousness. :wink:

If I ever decide to go to grad school again someone strangle me. I'm deep into homework central right now and I keep getting smacked in the face with great games. Tales of Vesperia, on the shelf mocking me. Fallout 3, should arrive today strutting around in it's massive glory. Super Mario RPG and Secret of Mana mocking me from their glistening, sleek white home. And now you with your Ultima III and yer story and yer great game play. Have heart man, have a heart.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Hey Im just having a great time playing and so felt like sharing screenies :lol:

This game kept me up all hours off the night when I was about 10 and its doing it to me again....

Will post more screens later.
tiresius
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by tiresius »

One is called Master Ultima and the other is called Ultima the Avatar Adventures.
Yes I believe those are the two books I have. Yeah, Master Ultima seemed more like a standard spoiler.

[hijack]
Hey anybody know about the Ultima V remake being done with the Dungeon Siege engine? I have yet to try it out...[/hijack]
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

[hijack]
Hey anybody know about the Ultima V remake being done with the Dungeon Siege engine? I have yet to try it out...[/hijack]
It's great, play it now. Is it better or as good as the original Ultima V, well no I don't think so, but it's a fantastic remake nonetheless. I was quite amazed at the writing that went into the game, very well done and alot of it in the dialog area.

I think if the dungeon siege's original release title was Lazarus it would have sold WAY better.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Here is some details from tonights adventure:

Here I encountered a rather large mob of bad guys which resulted in a nice pile of loot.

I decided to try and get to the lower level of the dungeons called Dardin's Pit.

Here I found a healing fountain.

And here I was on a deeper level and was killed by a group of Dragons, granted if I would have been full strength I might have one, but without full strength their fireballs are a bit too lethal. Oh well, I will get revenge another time.

tiresius
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by tiresius »

Are those individual chests each from a separate combat situation? In U5 all treasure was in the zoom screen dropped by individual monsters, and not the world map, I think. And there were rarely a ton of enemies on the world map. I spent a lot of time crossing and recrossing bridges trying to get bridge trolls (which dropped good $).

Those U3 graphics of the player party remind me of Tunnels of Doom. I'm being overcome with the nostalgia-virus and may have to start playing some of these again. Keep the screenies coming!
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Yes each chest is for a seperate combat session. It's not that common to see many enemies on the world map at once, so thats why I posted that screen shot. It does happen occasionally though.

The worst enemies are Thieves, Cutthroats and Brigands. They can pilfer your items and I have had them steal my Bows many times and they aren't cheap!

I also bought horses as you can see in the screenies, they allow you the ability to run from most encouters if you want to.

Im really surprised at how much fun I am having with Ultima III, much more fun than any modern games.

Im going on Vacaction tomorrow for a week, but I will continue with some screens when I return!
Llorn
Pledge

Post by Llorn »

I just started playing Ultima III running on a JNES emulator. Boy, does this bring back memories. During those days, I had two parents who would enforce a curfew... Not so any more. First weekend night since I started playing this weekend, and it's now 7 AM. I've spent some time figuring out the moon gates. At first I thought it was first moon, second moon and some directional thing that mattered. I did realize pressing the B button will allow you to elapse time without taking a step. Very, very helpful in getting out of the Exodus castle location when wanting to bypass an open gate... Or the Moon Cave's tiny island.

I got horses but couldn't figure out how to mount them. Open the menu with A then press select. "Horse" is a command here. Thought I'd share that because you can also exchange gold and divvy the group's food. Super helpful things I was trying to do manually... have non-clerics "get" chests, take damage, get poisoned; or buy things with the cleric and give them to another to sell at 80%. Better than risking the trap damage.

As for as my party: cleric, wizard, cleric, wizard. I'm a bit concerned now that I'm levels 4 and 5 because the easy monsters aren't the only ones. Time to raise maximum MP to get some new spells. I haven't ever gotten to the end of the game despite many, many hours of tinkering back in the day. The play is so open-ended. Hoping to achieve a silly, long-term goal I'd have for a while of beating it. Doing my best not to cheat too much... The emulator can save at will so I try to only use it when I encounter a new land tile I imagine was explained in the manual. It's funny how drastically unfair the game is at times. Dying when going into water is the best example.

I wanted to share my appreciation for the game with others that feel similarly. How coincedental that we're going through the game at the same time. I expected posts from 2004 or 6. Thanks for hosting this. Just one quick question: I bought horses, but what good are they? I was hoping I'd move faster on the screen to speed gameplay up a bit but it's not that.

Cheers from the States. :)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Llorn wrote:Just one quick question: I bought horses, but what good are they? I was hoping I'd move faster on the screen to speed gameplay up a bit but it's not that.
My recollection with horses in U3 is not that you move "faster" on screen, but that on horses you get two moves for enemies' one, so you can outrun monsters when on horses.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Here is a little bit of tonight's adventure....

My boat sailed into a whirlpool, Im thinking that I was dead but......

Then I emerge into a new world....

Then I ended up encountering some daemons....

I find the shrine of Dexterity! Good for my thief....

And inside the shrine....

tiresius
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by tiresius »

I just started playing Ultima III running on a JNES emulator.
I didn't think the ultimas on the NES followed the PC versions at all, they were totally different games, were they? Or is it just the graphics and gameplay slightly different, story the same?
Then I emerge into a new world....
Ah the underworld! I didn't know there was one in U3 I thought that whole thing started in U4. Awesome! How did you get out?
Llorn
Pledge

Post by Llorn »

My recollection with horses in U3 is not that you move "faster" on screen, but that on horses you get two moves for enemies' one, so you can outrun monsters when on horses.[/quote]

Yes, I found this to be accurate. Also true for side-stepping townsfolk. Horses allow moving more squares per unit of food. Yet magic seems to regenerate with each step when on the main map which is great.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Ah the underworld! I didn't know there was one in U3 I thought that whole thing started in U4. Awesome! How did you get out?

It's not as big as the Underworld in IV or V but its still pretty cool. There are pirates there you have to fight and take their ship and go back into the whirlpool. Its pretty fun exploring it because you cant save the game there so you have to judge how much you want to explore before you decide to try and make it back.

I remember when I was almost dead and almost to the ship and turned a corner right into a horde of daemons! It was not a pretty ending!
Last edited by Saxon1974 on November 12th, 2008, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

It's not as big as the Underworld in IV or V but its still pretty cool. There are pirates there you have to fight and take their ship and go back into the whirlpool. Its pretty fun exploring it because you cant save the game there so you have to judge how much you want to explore before you decide to try and make it back.

I remember when I was almost dead and almost to the ship and turned a corner right into a horde of daemons! It was not a pretty ending![/quote]
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Haven't posted of my adventures in a while, so here are some screen shots from tonight's play....

Here I stop by the Pub called "The Taphouse" and try and avoid all the drunks so I can make my way to the Guild to buy some torches....

Here is a fountain in Lord British's castle. Here is a trivia question;

Anyone know what the "C" in LCB stands for?

British has his goods well protected by a force field.....

And finally a strange Castle arrival by moongate....What's in that Castle I wonder?