Complete Map Resources [Spoilers]

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Drixx
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Complete Map Resources [Spoilers]

Post by Drixx »

So guys,

I'm totally hooked on this game, and I plan to play it through quite a few different ways. Currently I'm working on a Druidic Mage named Ture. I am using Reveal Map 6 to get very detailed maps. It was a bit tedious but once I got cartography from the trainer, I was very surprised to see that 1 point of Cartography in addition to using Reveal Map 6 while moving around leads to peramanent full quality maps.

So, I intend to map every zone as thoroughly as possible in fullscreen mode and then pull the maps out and using photoshop fill in the remaining parchment spaces. After that, I am planning to do the following for each map (including dungeon maps):
  • Mark every Chest spawn -- Highlighted in Red with notation about the contents (R - Random, S - static, Q - quest item, L## - Locked with the strength number, T - trapped).
  • Mark every barrel spawn -- Highlighted in blue with notation about contents (R - Random, S - static, C - Closed)
  • Mark every Coffin spawn -- Highlighted in Cyan (light blue) with notation about contents (R - Random, S -static, T - trapped, M - monsters spawn).
  • Mark every door -- Highlighted in light green (As default) with notation (U - unlocked, L# - Locked with number, T - trapped, LP - Locked and must be picked/destroyed) For doors with a lever or key that open, the lever will be marked with a number corresponding to the #.
  • Quest Items -- Quest items will be highlighted in golden
  • Levers -- Levers will be marked in black with notation (L# -- to show which doorway they open)
  • Traps -- Traps noted in white with notation (Type of trap or skullduggery requirement?)
  • Secret Cache's -- Things that require spot hidden to see (Including contents noted as Static or Random)
  • Hidden dungeons -- There are a few out of the way dungeons that are useful to visit for extra experience or loot. Will mark these with explaination of what is found inside.
  • Towns -- Towns will be named, the teleport item will be noted, and any special features or vendors will be marked.

This may only be useful to me, but I'll definately share with the community as I make progress on the project. I was wondering if you guys could think of any other notations that you might find helpful for the maps. I'm also at a bit of a loss as to how to notate the lock strength for chests/doors that need to be picked, if anyone has any ideas?
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Re: Complete Map Resources [Spoilers]

Post by Unclever title »

Just in case you haven't found this already... Mapping Eschalon[Minor spoiler]

Now this is not to say that the work you plan on doing is not worth it because it is. For one I rather enjoyed exploring every nook and cranny of the game that's fun in and of itself and so far we don't have an annotated map like the one you're planning, which I would like to have available, I don't know if I personally would use it... unless of course you happen to find a dungeon-ette that I missed. :D
Drixx
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Drixx »

I've seen that one as well as the other one floating around on the forums. My goal is to put together a high res large complete map as the one there (although his is marvelous already), as well as having each individual map at 500x500 (roughly 2.5x scale?) with the aforementioned annotations.

I was even thinking maybe of putting all the mob spawns in as well, although if I go that far, I might as well put together a highly detailed walkthrough...
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

Interesting. I wouldn't mind helping you.

Contact me via facebook, or AIM, or email if you need help.
azraelck
Senior Steward

Post by azraelck »

I've actually been using the same tactic in regards to mapping; keeping Reveal Map 6 going near constantly. Problem is, when it goes down, the map begins to be over-written with whatever level detail my character naturally has. I have 4, thanks to 300 gold and a pair of sandals. So it turns my rivers and roads and everything green, with the dark green trees and brown walls, and that's it.

It's not an issue, except in extended fights where I have to retreat (because I've not got the money for any offensive magic beyond Fire Dart). Then, it usually expires without me paying attention to it or being able to recast it. Thus, I have to remap an entire area.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity. - Edgar Allan Poe
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

If you haven't beaten the game at least once, don't read the rest of this post.

There is the map/char editor thread and you can just boost your char's cartography skill to whatever you want. Prob just leave it at 50 for highest details. (I think it caps at like 20 ish or somewhere there, there is a thread that was keeping note of it...) So after your first few playthrough/playthroughs, you can start a new game, and just at that moment have a cartography skill of 50 so everything starts mapping out thoroughly.
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

I agree. If it is just for the purpose of mapping out, and not a real play thru. Use something like art-money to boost your skills to god levels so you can walk thru unscathed with a high cartography skill.
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

Drixx wrote:I was even thinking maybe of putting all the mob spawns in as well, although if I go that far, I might as well put together a highly detailed walkthrough...
-It shows monster locations on the mini map too.
Drixx
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Drixx »

dare49devil wrote:
Drixx wrote:I was even thinking maybe of putting all the mob spawns in as well, although if I go that far, I might as well put together a highly detailed walkthrough...
-It shows monster locations on the mini map too.
Only when you are in range of them. They won't show up for the entire map all at once, and nor will they show up once killed.
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

Only when you are in range of them. They won't show up for the entire map all at once, and nor will they show up once killed.
-Well, yea. But you can get the locations to map them..Like so: Oh! A red dot, monster! Mark location. Kill! Move on and repeat. =P