News Update: June 20, 2007

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Honestly, it's completely undecided at this point. We want to allow character imports simply because that was a staple of classic role-playing. How we will work that in is undecided at this point. We have some ideas that we'll discuss when the time is right.
I understand that this is a tough decision and Im guessing many people feel differently than me and want to continue their characters at their current levels. I doubt allowing imported characters but shrinking their levels would work very well either. Im just not much of a power gamer I guess.

I realize your busy with making book 1 right now though, but just wanted to throw my thoughts out there!
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Leej wrote:
Rune_74 wrote:Would be even cooler if it was a generation later and you could "age" everything from the first game....and have references to what happened in the first
Agreed. This would certainly give the game an Epic feel.
Yes I like this idea very much. They did something similar in the fallout 2 game, with references to the original vault dweller, although you never actually got to meet them.

What about making one of your imported characters an NPC that can join you for a portion of the game? Say maybe there is a particularly difficult piece of combat and they join for that part of the game?

Sorry I realize you would probably rather talk about part 1 right now.

Question on the screen shot:

1) Can you tell us a little bit about where that screenshot takes place? Is it a dungeon? Or is that a keep or some wharehouse? Can you tell us the name?

2) Is that a wizard hat I see the character wearing? Leather armor?

3) I assume the Goblin Hacker is one of the wimpier Goblins? Can you tell us a bit more about other types of Goblins?
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

That's definitely the wizard hat!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

1) Grimmhold, Maintenance Level

2) Yes, yes

3) Yes. No.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:1) Grimmhold, Maintenance Level

2) Yes, yes

3) Yes. No.
Ok, ok I admit I keep trying to pry more info out of you about the creatures...good job sticking to your guns :wink:
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

:)
Tauschitz
Apprentice

Post by Tauschitz »

First let me second the view of Rune_74:

"....if the engine is working for you can I suggest you use it for all three and then move on to another for a new series? This will allow you to maximize output of the next two games and speeds up delivery;)"

I think that that engine looks great, and I would hate to see Book II delayed by 6mos - 1yr for new graphics.

As far as importing your character, I like the idea that your character shows up in Book II:

1) as a playable member of you now expanded party

2) older and with reduced levels from his years in "retirement". This would solve the problem of reducing the levels and items (he lost skill over 30 years and gave away most of his best items to some youngsters that were out for adventure).

I really don't like the idea of the character coming back as an NPC after putting all that work into him for Book I.

Just my thoughts.

Tauschitz
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

Yeah. Just make the character somewhat older or aged in Book II.
"FUL IR"