Eschalon Book 1 Game Question

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
maggie60
Pledge

Eschalon Book 1 Game Question

Post by maggie60 »

Hi-

I have heard about this game from someone I know on Gameboomers. I would like to know if it is a point and click please.

Thanks so much

Maggie60 :D :?:
MJW
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

hi maggie60!

Well, Eschalon will be a role-playing game, but I certainly think it shares some elements of a point-and-click adventure game. The game is not real-time, so you don't frantically click on monsters hoping to survive. There's lots of story to follow and open exploration is encouraged. Finding clues and quest items is a big part of the main storyline.

I had never heard of Gameboomers, but it looks to be a site dedicated to adventure games specifically. Eschalon doesn't fit that category, but our game certainly doesn't play like most contemporary RPGs either. I hope you take the time to try the demo when it's available.

Thanks!
Last edited by BasiliskWrangler on September 11th, 2007, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Welcome! :D

Oh, read the FAQ for more information, it will answer more of your questions, if you haven't already that is. :oops:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

This question got me to thinking.

RPG's are my favorite genre of games, but my second favorite has always been adventure games. Maybe it because adventure games and RPG's give a sense of exploration of a world, which is one of my favorite parts of RPG's.

I was big into the classic adventure games, the space quests, police quests, king quests back in the day.

Sadly they dont make many adventure games anymore either. So, there must be something wrong with me because my 2 favorite seem to be the least popular now.
:roll:
Metatron
Initiate

Post by Metatron »

Adventure games are great.

I was pleased to stumble upon a couple of fairly recent adventure games, a game called "The Longest Journey" and its sequel "Dreamfall." I personally found the game world and storyline to be very immersive and enjoyable. If you haven't played these already and enjoy adventure gaming I would recommend them. I bought The Longest Journey on amazon at a reasonable price, Dreamfall is a little more recent and the PC version has some state-of-the-art graphics (my comp couldn't run it; I had to get the X-box version :( ).

The only thing about Dreamfall that I didn't really like was the attempt to introduce a combat engine into what is first and foremost an adventure game. It is interesting, but superfluous; ultimately you must run away from or outwit the majority of the critters that are out to get you. I am pretty sure you can get through the entire game without combat, except for a few battles you are forced into (but are ridiculously easy).

I loved the plot. I would actually like to see an nice RPG based on it. In both games fantasy and sci-fi elements are combined in a fairly clever way.
maggie60
Pledge

Post by maggie60 »

HI

Thanks for all your replies. Actually Gameboomers deals with all the games, I myself prefer an RPG, but I also play Adventure. I shall look and read the FAQ's for information, which is what I need.
Thanks so much to all of you for making me feel welcome.

Maggie60 :D
MJW
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

Saxon1974 wrote:This question got me to thinking.

RPG's are my favorite genre of games, but my second favorite has always been adventure games. Maybe it because adventure games and RPG's give a sense of exploration of a world, which is one of my favorite parts of RPG's.

I was big into the classic adventure games, the space quests, police quests, king quests back in the day.

Sadly they dont make many adventure games anymore either. So, there must be something wrong with me because my 2 favorite seem to be the least popular now.
Eh eh eh
Same here.
But I think the market needs some more time to grow older and wiser. Then we'll see again some good real rpg and adventure game....
Or at least, this is waht I hope for.
furor vincit omnia
Fleisch
Marshall

Post by Fleisch »

Saxon1974 wrote: Sadly they dont make many adventure games anymore either. So, there must be something wrong with me because my 2 favorite seem to be the least popular now.
I'm in the same boat, of course, but I think RPGs are actually worse off than adventure games, which are making a sort of limited niche comeback. At our local MicroCenter computer store, they put in a new game section (as opposed to eb games, which has pretty much given up on PC games altogether), and there are shelves labeled first person shooter, online games, war/simulation, strategy, puzzles, and even adventure. But there is nothing labeled RPG.
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

Fleisch wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote: Sadly they dont make many adventure games anymore either. So, there must be something wrong with me because my 2 favorite seem to be the least popular now.
I'm in the same boat, of course, but I think RPGs are actually worse off than adventure games, which are making a sort of limited niche comeback. At our local MicroCenter computer store, they put in a new game section (as opposed to eb games, which has pretty much given up on PC games altogether), and there are shelves labeled first person shooter, online games, war/simulation, strategy, puzzles, and even adventure. But there is nothing labeled RPG.
:( Same in Italy.
furor vincit omnia
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

gragnak wrote:
Fleisch wrote:
:( Same in Italy.
This is because they are not very many of them anymore and they are listed under "Action" or "FPS" now since that's really what most of them are now.