Character Build: The Paladin

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Nevermore
Marshall

Character Build: The Paladin

Post by Nevermore »

Hi, while i'm waiting the coming ok Book II, i'll begin a new game in EB1. I want your opinion about this build of Therish Virtuous Fighter, which it can be compared to the classic Paladin of fantasy literature or RPGs.

Starting Skills
- Arcane, Divination
- Armor, Heavy
- Armor, Shields
- Weapon, Swords

Skills acquired during the game
- Lore
- Cartography

Attributes
The first time in the Character Editor i will give all the points to Strenght, Dexterity and Wisdom. Next, when i'll level up, i put the rest of the points in the main attributes and in Endurance & Perception and some in Intelligence or Concentraion.

What do you think. Show your ideas to build a better character! :)
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Character Build: The Paladin

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

In classic D&D rules, you'd want to change swords for bludgeoning weapons. Paladins were not supposed to use edged weapons. Otherwise, it should be a decent build, though the fighting magic user is always tough to maximize, since there's nothing but INT that you would minimize (since you're going with Divine magic).
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:In classic D&D rules, you'd want to change swords for bludgeoning weapons. Paladins were not supposed to use edged weapons. Otherwise, it should be a decent build, though the fighting magic user is always tough to maximize, since there's nothing but INT that you would minimize (since you're going with Divine magic).
Eh? Wouldn't that be a Cleric based on Classic D&D Rules? Pallys have always slung swords, while Clerics were restriced to Bludgeoning-type weapons.
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Post by silverkitty »

Yep - under AD&D 1st Ed:
Cleric = healing magic + bludgeoning weapons, and
Paladin = fighter + code of honor + some innate powers for dealing with evil + _at high levels_ some cleric spells.

in 2d Edition or so, they changed the Clerics to "use weapons symbolic or significant to their deities" because it makes more sense and similarly diddled with spell selections so Clerics weren't always walking band-aids, even when worshiping blatantly bloodthirsty powers. I dunno if they ever fixed Paladins from "idealized Christian warriors" to "warrior versions of Clerics, with powers, code of ethics, and weapons befitting their deity." I imagine with enough tweaking of Clerics to fit their religion, Paladins just become redundant and/or a fighter/cleric multiclass.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Oh, right. Exposed how long it's been since I've played D&D. My friends at Wizards of the Coast would be mad at me.

Anyway, swords bore me anymore. I like characters using other weapons.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Nevermore
Marshall

Post by Nevermore »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Oh, right. Exposed how long it's been since I've played D&D. My friends at Wizards of the Coast would be mad at me.

Anyway, swords bore me anymore. I like characters using other weapons.
Only a point of view :wink: