Ruel treasure chests room

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
AgentTBC
Initiate

Re: Ruel treasure chests room

Post by AgentTBC »

Decided to just buy the heavy bronze armor instead.

Am I supposed to do something with this book? Ruel's sister didn't react well when I showed it to her but I thought there were more quests in this particular story thread?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

If you remember when you show her the letter she sent to Ruel, Wendy mentions that the book was going to go to Lockston Hall in Port Kuudad, someday.
AgentTBC
Initiate

Post by AgentTBC »

That's what I get for playing when I should be sleeping.
Hawkwind
Steward
Location: Salt Lake City, UT -- Or 35,000ft in the air on a Delta Jet.

Post by Hawkwind »

It's important... Left me with a ringing in my ears.
AgentTBC
Initiate

Post by AgentTBC »

Yeah I had been lugging those things all over the place. Glad to get them out of my inventory; nice exp reward too.

I was sort of hoping for a puzzle similar to the one in... uh... Ultima IV? Ultima V? With the harpsichord. One of the best puzzles ever. I can't believe that was more than 20 years ago.
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Post by silverkitty »

Whether due to bug or the briefness of my usage, or the fact that I never entered combat wearing them, I was able to use "heavy armor" gloves and boots without breaking "The True Mage" challenge. There do exist bronze studded leggings, bronze studded vest, bronze skullcap (all light). I have never seen bronze light gloves and boots, but it appears those "don't count", or at least didn't count briefly, for True Mage. So yay. Book found, book delivered, bells rung. Happy.
Neebat
Initiate

Post by Neebat »

Can someone post a screenshot of actual bronze light boots or bronze light gloves? I don't believe they exist. I'm actually wondering if they're labeled just "studded" and not "bronze studded"
kelticpete
Council Member

Post by kelticpete »

wearing the bronze should not screw up the the challenge to not wear armor.

why?

because armor does two things.

1) helps you in combat.
2) may have magical bonuses on repairable slots.

I think you should not fail the challenge unless you are
a) wearing the bronze in the presence of hostiles/combat zone
b) put on a piece of armor in a non combat zone but that armor gives you bonuses to divination or to hit or whatever.

U cannot do the bell quest AND get the no armor challenge.....this should be changed.
Pax,

Pete

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is the Great Pink Vorpal Bunny. Copy and paste Pink Vorpal Bunny on your signature to help gain Pink Vorpal Bunny gain world domination!
kelticpete
Council Member

Post by kelticpete »

a challenge is something that is hard to do and takes time.

it is easy to decided to not where 5 pieces of armor one time for a few seconds and , not be able to get the contents of that room, not have access to that quest.

basically you either play the whole game not wearing armor and not doing that quest. or you play the whole game never wearing armor as a benefit and not using mage hats etc...because they are armor. I am about halfway through the game maybe not quite, but I have not worn armor and it has made it harder but not impossible.

haven't you ever seen a child wear a motorcycle helmet? or their parents shoes?

the way I see it, my mage wearing armor he has no training in would look like that. quite comical. There is no way he would wear it in battle. almost like david from david and goliath refusing armor.

you are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to state that I wish that an update would change it. I know that might be hard. it really sucks that the quest tied to the contents of that room ALSO effect the ability to use the 4 items scattered around the game that can be used together.

I
Pax,

Pete

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is the Great Pink Vorpal Bunny. Copy and paste Pink Vorpal Bunny on your signature to help gain Pink Vorpal Bunny gain world domination!
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

What you are basically suggesting is that all quests and all challenges should be completable independently from one another. While this would be all well and great, the game wasn't designed to be that way.

This isn't a Pokemon, gotta catch 'em all game. :mrgreen: Sometimes you have to make a tough choice... and there needs to be more tough choices, in my opinion. :!:
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Post by silverkitty »

NEVERtheless, I feel this must be stated:

despite the whole Ruel thing - even if that portal did not exist - I would still think it more logical that a "never wear armor" challenge would fail not if you tried some on, but if you used it in combat.

I'm just saying that it makes more sense. Not that this other decision BW made was necessarily bad or good - just that if I had written it, I'd find it more sensible to check "wearing armor" challenge effects whenever combat music starts. The idea being that the challenge is to never get the benefit of the armor, but not that you can't look at your character wearing it :)
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I'm inclined to agree with Bernie. The challenges are just for fun, to add a little extra difficulty to the game. They're going to make certain parts of the game off-limits - for example, if you're going for Pacifist, you miss out on the XP of killing monsters. I don't see why the bronze portal would be any different.
tungprc
Marshall

Post by tungprc »

One area that seems to generate light bronze stuff is the dungeon below the dam. I found 3 or 4 pieces there, but had forgotten about needing bronze stuff and sold all the stuff back in town. Oops! It might be worth a try for those who are not too far in the game to give that dungeon a looksie.
I'll replay that dungeon and see what types of stuff I find this time. If I can get a full set, I'll post a picture :) I'm a chronic re-loader, so I'll reroll each chest several times looking for the gear.
kelticpete
Council Member

Post by kelticpete »

some challenges cancel each other out or contradict.

but for example the journeyman one...i think that is what it is called, does not effect a quest and it can be done with any or all of the others.

this is the only quest that takes away the ability to SPOILER not get the bells, which are like the easter egg in the first game. some challenges and quests CANT be done together and keep the spirit of the challenge....but I think this one needs to be looked at again.

I guess I am just going to go through the entire game, save right before the last place you can save, then go through and finish my mage without ruel. then I am going to reload and finish my mage with ruel and without the no armor challenge and see the difference endwise.
Pax,

Pete

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Kendahke
Initiate

Post by Kendahke »

atori wrote:5 bronze items should be worn to teleport into room with 2 chests: helm, armor, leggings, boots and gauntlets. Weapon and shield are not required.
thank you, atori. That is all we're asking for-plain english and no cryptic roundabout talk.