1.04 Patch?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: 1.04 Patch?

Post by IJBall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Version 1.05 is nearly complete. Here's what we've addressed:

- Compiled using the latest version of the development language (generally this is considered beneficial, though sometimes it is not).
- Added improved graphics initialization code (Windows).
- Game no longer crashes if you threaten to kill Gruzz.
- Game no longer crashes if Siam attacks you.
- Vista defaults to use the DirectSound driver, which should fix rare audio glitches on some computers.
- NPCs and monsters should no longer get stuck off-screen. (This is such a rare occurrence that it is hard to test, but so far I have been unable to chase any into the void).
Cool!

A couple of questions about this:

- Were you able to fix those few places still left where you are able to step off one map and into a location on the next map where you are trapped (e.g. in trees)? (This has only happened to me once or twice in and around Tangletree forest, but it still has happened to me with v.1.04...)
- Were you able to fix it so monsters don't spawn inside mountains, a la Goblin on the Rocks?
- Were you able to fix the inability for some of us to cast spells against friendly NPCs, as I discussed here?
- And were you able to fix the Cartography barrel bug that we talked about here?

Thanks!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

IJBall wrote:- Were you able to fix those few places still left where you are able to step off one map and into a location on the next map where you are trapped (e.g. in trees)? (This has only happened to me once or twice in and around Tangletree forest, but it still has happened to me with v.1.04...)
- Were you able to fix it so monsters don't spawn inside mountains, a la Goblin on the Rocks?
- Were you able to fix the inability for some of us to cast spells against friendly NPCs, as I discussed here?
- And were you able to fix the Cartography barrel bug that we talked about here?

Thanks!
Yes to all (I will update the fixed list in my previous post; a "final" fixed list will be posted when we announce 1.05 is ready.)

The only questionable fix is the "stuck in trees" issue. We tried to correct maps as best as possible, but there are probably a few places where this can still occur. If anyone has exact coordinates where this has happened, post them and I will remove trees from that area.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:The only questionable fix is the "stuck in trees" issue. We tried to correct maps as best as possible, but there are probably a few places where this can still occur. If anyone has exact coordinates where this has happened, post them and I will remove trees from that area.
If you give me through the weekend, I'll look into that one. :)

I'm nearly positive one of them was stepping from Northern Tangletree into Barron's Thicket, but I'm pretty sure it happened to me once somewhere else.

I'll see if I can find them over the weekend...
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:The only questionable fix is the "stuck in trees" issue. We tried to correct maps as best as possible, but there are probably a few places where this can still occur. If anyone has exact coordinates where this has happened, post them and I will remove trees from that area.
OK, I found at least two places where this still occurs. I can't promise these are the only two places where this still occurs, but I think they are the two places where I had this happen to me previously:

1. Baron's Thicket (X=2,Y=164) due West into Vela: trapped in trees.

2. Barrier Range Region (X=98,Y=117) due East or Northeast into NE Thaermore: trapped in trees.

I also thought I discovered a third one going from N Tangletree into Baron's Thicket but I couldn't reproduce it, so that transition may be fine.

Anyway, hope this helps! :mrgreen:
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

One other v1.05 update question:

Will the character creation process be fixed so that we are able to "sell back" previously chosen Skills or skill points without having to start over from scratch? (Nothing more frustrating than choosing, say, Dodge when meaning to choose, say, Hide in Shadows, and then not being able to "sell back" the Dodge skill during character creation...)

And will the character creation process be fixed so that the weird "negative skill points" bug won't happen when you've preset most of a new character, and then, at the last minute, choose to change the character's Class? (I've only seen this bug on the Windows version of the game (and I think I saw mention of this same bug on these boards), though I have not tried to reproduce it on my Mac version...)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Thanks IJBall.

Yes, I just checked and the mouse function is fixed in the Character Editor. Holding CTRL and clicking will act as a 2nd mouse like it should, allowing for Skill points to be returned.

Regarding your other comment, there is still an "issue" where you can overdraw on your skill points by selling back a class-granted skill after you have put another point into it, but the system makes you sell them back before you can leave the editor so it is not really an exploit. It used to be, but it should be fixed now.

I will try to get the new 1.05 demo posted soon- maybe a few of you people can give it a half-hour of testing for me before we put it out on the public download site.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I will try to get the new 1.05 demo posted soon- maybe a few of you people can give it a half-hour of testing for me before we put it out on the public download site.
Hmmmm. Don't know if I could play for only a half hour. ;)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
biubidboy
Pledge

Post by biubidboy »

Has the new patch fixed the crash caused by drinking Fr. Michael's "Potion of Absolute Restoration" then resting until you die from poison? On my 1.04 version, the game closes without showing the death sequence or exiting to the game menu.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

biubidboy wrote:On my 1.04 version, the game closes without showing the death sequence or exiting to the game menu.
Really? I wasn't aware of that. I'll look into it.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

I'm going to unsticky this thread. It really isn't relevant anymore.
Al3xand3r
Apprentice

Post by Al3xand3r »

Just revived this to say how glad I am that the new system for Book II is akin to what I was hoping for and suggested in my first comments, despite heavy resistance from other fans who I guess couldn't see the benefits. I'm also very glad you got the game up on Impulse, I bought Book II from them since it's a service that imo merges the best of Steam with a more open DRM-Free environment that doesn't require their application to run at all in order to play the games, yet can still offer auto-patching and easy redownloading like Steam when needed. Thanks!
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Er, rather than zombify a thread that was laid to rest, wouldn't you have been better off posting your praise in the Book II forum, where it would actually be relevant??

It's great that you love the game, but you're just going to confuse people who might think there's some sort of update on a Book I patch... especially since the Mac users are eagerly awaiting one. Know what I'm sayin'? You pickin' up what I'm puttin' down, bro? :wink:
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

CrazyBernie wrote:... especially since the Mac users are eagerly awaiting one.
Which is to say: the game, not the patch. We're eagerly awaiting the game.

...Just so nobody's confused. :D
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.