Book II Game Rules: Hit or Miss?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!

How do you use the Game Rules?

I leave 'em all off, because I'm more interested in enjoying the game.
7%
I leave 'em off, because they're more annoying than anything else.
5%
I turn some of them on, to match my playing preferences.
38%
I turn them all on!! Gimmie my extra loot/xp/endgame score!!!
27%
I use some/all of them, but I would have preferred actual difficulty settings (tougher enemies, etc), as I'm not really interested in my score.
23%

Total votes: 86

CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Book II Game Rules: Hit or Miss?

Post by CrazyBernie »

Attack of the Polls!! I know I have a difficulty poll that touches on the added Game Rules, but I wanted one that focuses on them directly.

*** Attention Guest Users ***

If you've played/are playing Book II, I would heartily recommend that you register and take the Book II Polls. The more voices heard means the more input that will be available when the time comes for Basilisk Games to embark on the next project, which obviously a lot of people hope is Book III. This is your chance to make a difference!! Let your voice be heard!!! Scream it from the rooftops!!! Okay, that last part might be pushing it a little... I don't recommend that you get on top of your roof... especially during inclement weather. 0_o
Last edited by CrazyBernie on May 31st, 2010, 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: Poll: Book II Game Rules: Hit or Miss?

Post by sirdilznik »

[x] I turn them all on because I like the extra challenge and realism. The bonus to exp/loot/endgame score is a side-effect of that choice, but not why I chose to turn on all the options, not that I mind the extra loot, exp, endgame score.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

I add the option to keep the random seed set because that's how I played Book I anyway. I don't want to be bothered saving and reloading all the time just to get more loot. What a hassle! As for playing hardcore, I'll try that eventually. Sounds really hard though, but I'm up to the challenge. :mrgreen:
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Post by silverkitty »

Where's the poll option for "there are too many polls in too short a time span posted here."? :)
MaximB
Senior Steward

Post by MaximB »

Current game : turned 2 of them on (the other 2 options which were unselected).
I don't like worrying about food/water so I deselected this option.
I want to save/load anywhere so I didn't check this option as well.

I've set the item generator to not be random because I can't resist loading every time I get a crappy items ;)
What was the fourth option ? ;) I've set it on because I can live with that just fine.
elkston
Apprentice

Post by elkston »

I left in hunger management and the fixed random seed checked. I dislike restrictions on when I can save/load and also think degrading equipment is not "fun" in terms of game experience.
Krafen
Council Member

Re: Book II Game Rules: Hit or Miss?

Post by Krafen »

I turned on hunger/thirst and decay because I thought they would make the game a little more interesting.
I turned on the seed because I don't like the save/reload method of item generation and it would prevent me from doing so accidentally.
I was pleasantly surprised to see an in-game bonus was provided for increasing the difficulty, so
I turned on save restrictions because I didn't figure it would be much of an issue.
I care nothing for end-game score.
As I anticipated, I haven't found the optional rules particularly troublesome, but they have made the game a little more interesting.
Gorgon Rider
Marshall

Post by Gorgon Rider »

I don't like deteriorating weapons/gear. I find it incredibly tedious and annoying. I don't care much about the save restrictions, and I don't care about the end-game score. I don't mind the random seed being set, but I also don't like getting through a tough battle and getting crap for loot, so I usually leave that off and I'll sometimes reload to get something better. Not a big fan of requiring food and water, but I can deal, so usually leave that on.

BIG thumbs up to Basilisk Games for making these things optional though. That's the way it should be. So my thought is that even though I don't particularly care for the optional rules, it's a HIT because you're not forced to use what you don't like.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Krafen wrote:I turned on hunger/thirst and decay because I thought they would make the game a little more interesting.
I turned on the seed because I don't like the save/reload method of item generation and it would prevent me from doing so accidentally.
I was pleasantly surprised to see an in-game bonus was provided for increasing the difficulty, so
I turned on save restrictions because I didn't figure it would be much of an issue.
I care nothing for end-game score.
As I anticipated, I haven't found the optional rules particularly troublesome, but they have made the game a little more interesting.
Can I sign my name under this as well?
Simone
Apprentice

Post by Simone »

I like all the rules and would like a lot more. I still don't understand not being able to load the game though. It's not like you can load the game during battle after a save, cause you can't save during battle. Suppose I'm just missing something.
Forral
Initiate

Post by Forral »

Simone wrote:I like all the rules and would like a lot more. I still don't understand not being able to load the game though. It's not like you can load the game during battle after a save, cause you can't save during battle. Suppose I'm just missing something.
I suppose it encourages you to continue playing and live with your mistakes if you're, for example, caught while doing something nefarious such as stealing or springing a trap and catch a disease, or angering someone in a conversation.

It's simple enough to merely quit to the main-menu and load your game from there, but the loading restriction makes re-loading to avoid the consequences of your actions a bit more hasslemore.

So, it's not the optimal soloution, but it does seem like a slight step to encourage players to live with the consequences of their actions, whatever they may be.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I'm not sure that adding more restrictions really makes the game "harder" - it seems to me like the improved loot balances it out.
Thief
Initiate

Post by Thief »

sirdilznik wrote:[x] I turn them all on because I like the extra challenge and realism. The bonus to exp/loot/endgame score is a side-effect of that choice, but not why I chose to turn on all the options, not that I mind the extra loot, exp, endgame score.

I turn them all on for the same reason. The extra loot/exp is unimportant.
Mongolian
Marshall

Post by Mongolian »

OMGoooodness. I waited so long to play Book 2 that I totally forgot about the game. Really nice job on upgrading the website. It looks like all the upgrades are right on target from Book1. All I hope is that there is a bit of diversity from playing vs. in book 1. Anyhow..I'm excited to try it out..will post my results later. Great work Basilisk!
niek
Initiate

Post by niek »

Thief wrote:
sirdilznik wrote:[x] I turn them all on because I like the extra challenge and realism. The bonus to exp/loot/endgame score is a side-effect of that choice, but not why I chose to turn on all the options, not that I mind the extra loot, exp, endgame score.

I turn them all on for the same reason. The extra loot/exp is unimportant.
So did I, although I must admit extra loot is always nice :D