Why doesn't Korren recognize the Crux of Fire??

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
tstade
Pledge

Why doesn't Korren recognize the Crux of Fire??

Post by tstade »

I visited Korren who told me to go get the Crux of Fire from the Dwarven mine. That didn't generate a quest in my journal. I had already killed Sparrow before I talked to Korren, so I couldn't complete that part of his instructions. However, even without Sparrow I was able to liberate the Crux from the mine and went back to tell Korren all about it, but the dialog options are the same... no new choice called "Here's your big red gem" or anything like that. I tried talking to Erubor in case that worked better, but he's no help either. What am I supposed to do with this Crux??? I'm playing v 1.03 on a Mac. I've got a saved game from before I took the Crux back to Korren, but I killed Sparrow a long, long time ago while completing the beetle quest and going back that far would be like starting over. Not an option. Can anyone help?
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Re: Why doesn't Korren recognize the Crux of Fire??

Post by silverkitty »

This is a complete writing-snafu/design-bug on the part of the game developer (it's been mentioned many times before) - Korren wants you to fetch the gem, but somehow will never recognize that you're holding the gem unless you complete some intermediate quest.

So far, the only work around is to delete the map file with Sparrow on it from your save game folder, thus resurrecting her if you revisit Broken Blade - then you can complete the "meet Sparrow" quest, then get the "get Crux" quest, then finally show them the Crux.

(With regards to the main quest-line, Book II is much more linear than Book I one was. Sorry :( )
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Ugh, that's unfortunate, and will significantly complicate my lowest-score-possible character. I don't suppose there's any chance of this being fixed in 1.05?
Turtle
Council Member

Post by Turtle »

This is odd.

I'm playing 1.03 on a Mac as well.

I too had killed Sparrow before meeting Korren, but when he told me to go see her, I was offered the dialogue option of explaining about her death, and everything went fine from there. The quest to get the gem appeared in my journal, and I was able to complete it without a problem.

So howcome I got that dialogue option and tstade didn't?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

This bug should be fixed in version 1.04. It was reported during testing and was supposed to have been fixed. You will still need to play a new game or at least start from a pre-Sparrow death point.

Killing Sparrow before talking to Korren is the problem. You can still get the quest to get the Crux of Fire. However when you actually take the Crux you don't get the quest to Return to Korren.
Turtle
Council Member

Post by Turtle »

Randomizer wrote:...You can still get the quest to get the Crux of Fire. However when you actually take the Crux you don't get the quest to Return to Korren.
I cant' say I recall whether I saw the Return to Korren quest, but if I hadn't gotten it, I wouldn't have been able to proceed to the next quest (Destroy the Crux), would I?
tstade
Pledge

Post by tstade »

"So far, the only work around is to delete the map file with Sparrow on it from your save game folder..."
That sounds great but I have no idea what that means. I don't know if that's something that works for PC users, but if there's a way for Mac users who are not Mac gurus to make this work, I'd love to hear about it. It sounds to me like I'm just stuck. I'm going to have to start over or hope that 1.04 fixes the problem. I guess I've enjoyed the game so far, so I could start over. It's just irritating. I wanted to complete the game at least once before I started over with a different character. Oh well.