Probably should have been mentioned before

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Aldbeski
Marshall

Probably should have been mentioned before

Post by Aldbeski »

i just can't see the Purpose of book shelfs if they don't have skill books and stuff even once in a while, maybe this is something to consider for Book3
P.s : excuse my bad English

Didn't reach my expectations (Eschalon Book 3)>> But Still, A Great Game nevertheless
Hactar
Initiate

Re: Probably should have been mentioned before

Post by Hactar »

I think most homes/houses/libraries/government structures etc. have bookshelves. Agreed, some people buy such awful books and literature to fill theirs I don't think they really serve a Purpose (as you put it) either.

Speaking about the game, however, I think their Purpose is to make rooms feel more lively, like the quill and ink or other miscellaneous stuff in the game. Maybe the greatest libraries could yield something of value when you search the bookshelves (perhaps requiring high knowledge), but other than that I really don't think any random bookshelf should give you anything, just like in real life mostly.

"Yay! I found a book by Dan Brown! Mediocre Writing Skill +1!"
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

It certainly would have been cool in Lockston Hall if you could Spot Hidden a training book or something. Thinking through Book II, I can only think of the one clickable shelf (in Eastwillow). It seems there were more in Book I, but most of them said things like, "You see a shelf full of romance novels." ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

This kind of thing has been mentioned before, and has definitely been added to my Book III 'wishlist'.

But I definitely agree that, in general, there was much less ability to 'interact with the environment' in Book II than I would have liked.

And it wasn't just the lack of 'clickable' regular shelves and book shelves either - there were also no 'clickable' skeletal remains anywhere in Book II, which was quite a departure from the way things were in Book I... :|

P.S. I'm drawing a blank here... where's the 'clickable' shelf in Eastwillow?...
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

IJBall wrote:P.S. I'm drawing a blank here... where's the 'clickable' shelf in Eastwillow?...
Next to the town treasury chest. It just says there are a lot of uninteresting papers on it or somesuch.
---

KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

IJBall wrote:And it wasn't just the lack of 'clickable' regular shelves and book shelves either - there were also no 'clickable' skeletal remains anywhere in Book II, which was quite a departure from the way things were in Book I...
There is a fair amount of clickable human remains in Book III... maybe part of the difference is a matter of graphical choice - dead bodies instead of skeletons?

But I agree that more treasure could be made subject to spot hidden checks, like a collector's item on a bookshelf that could fetch some money when brought to the right dealer.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant Book II, not Book III! My time machine is still in need of a refuel, so until then I can't say much about Book III.
Last edited by KillingMoon on August 24th, 2010, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

KillingMoon wrote:
IJBall wrote:And it wasn't just the lack of 'clickable' regular shelves and book shelves either - there were also no 'clickable' skeletal remains anywhere in Book II, which was quite a departure from the way things were in Book I...
There is a fair amount of clickable human remains in Book III... maybe part of the difference is a matter of graphical choice - dead bodies instead of skeletons?

But I agree that more treasure could be made subject to spot hidden checks, like a collector's item on a bookshelf that could fetch some money when brought to the right dealer.
...err, I think there is a typo above. It might get people confused. Book III hasn't been started yet! :) I think you ment, Book II.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

I was wondering about that. I thought Killing Moon had jumped into a time machine and was reporting back. ;-)
---

IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

KillingMoon wrote:
There is a fair amount of clickable human remains in Book [II]... maybe part of the difference is a matter of graphical choice - dead bodies instead of skeletons?
Well, there are a fair number of "meaty" corpse remains in Book II - maybe comparable to Book I.

But, yes - I'm referring specifically to 'skeletal' remains - there are actually a lot of those in Book II. But, unlike Book I, none of them are 'clickable', whereas nearly all of the 'skeletal' remains in Book I seemed 'clickable'.

Anyway, this was one of the biggest differences I immediately noticed between Book II and Book I. (And, honestly, I liked the Book I way of handling this better... ;) )
KillingMoon wrote:But I agree that more treasure could be made subject to spot hidden checks, like a collector's item on a bookshelf that could fetch some money when brought to the right dealer.
I'll settle for the 'simple' kind of clickable shelves/bookcases that we got more of in Book I! :|

(Though, come to think of it, Book I had more of the 'Spot Hidden check' shelves as well, as there were at least one or two of those in The Ossuary. Meanwhile, I was surprised when there were none of those in Hammerlorne (or the Port K. library) in Book II...)
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

IJBall wrote:But, yes - I'm referring specifically to 'skeletal' remains - there are actually a lot of those in Book II. But, unlike Book I, none of them are 'clickable', whereas nearly all of the 'skeletal' remains in Book I seemed 'clickable'.
Interestingly, while digging around in the map files when constructing the editor, I noticed a few instances of skeletal remains that were supposed to be clickable, at least originally, but which have an apparently "broken" object type which makes then non-clickable. The three skeletons outside the southern entrance to Farrock Caves are examples; one's supposed to have a Lockpick, another is supposed to have a dagger, and the other one's empty. (Incidentally, there's also a well-hidden but get-toable chest in the Yoma River Valley which uses that "broken" object type, and is similarly non-openable.)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

xolotl wrote:
IJBall wrote:But, yes - I'm referring specifically to 'skeletal' remains - there are actually a lot of those in Book II. But, unlike Book I, none of them are 'clickable', whereas nearly all of the 'skeletal' remains in Book I seemed 'clickable'.
Interestingly, while digging around in the map files when constructing the editor, I noticed a few instances of skeletal remains that were supposed to be clickable, at least originally, but which have an apparently "broken" object type which makes then non-clickable. The three skeletons outside the southern entrance to Farrock Caves are examples; one's supposed to have a Lockpick, another is supposed to have a dagger, and the other one's empty.
Huh. Interesting. Could be intentional (i.e. they may have been intentionally "broken").

Nevertheless, I'll add this to the current 'Bug's list...

(Edit: Actually, if you come across any other 'map' issues like this, when working with your editor, let me know, so I can add them to the list...)
xolotl wrote:(Incidentally, there's also a well-hidden but get-toable chest in the Yoma River Valley which uses that "broken" object type, and is similarly non-openable.)
Any hints on where exactly this chest is?!... ;)
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

IJBall wrote:Any hints on where exactly this chest is?!... ;)
Heh, should've figured people'd want to know. :)

You won't be able to see it at all in the actual game, because it's hidden by trees and, like the skeletons, isn't highlightable/clickable, but it's actually near your cottage, at (71, 101), though you've got to approach it from the Northern road if you want to get next to it. (Oh, and in answer to your next question, there wasn't anything special inside; just randomly-generated ordinary loot.)

After editing the map so that it's clickable, you can see it here:
unclickable_chest.png
unclickable_chest.png (69.79 KiB) Viewed 5303 times
(Edit: Actually, if you come across any other 'map' issues like this, when working with your editor, let me know, so I can add them to the list...)
Sure - I don't think I've seen anything else, though, at least not stuff like this where it looks like there was supposed to be something but it got cut out, intentionally or no.