Game crashes when clicking on Strange viewing glass

Linux support forums for Eschalon: Book II
bruno84st
Pledge

Game crashes when clicking on Strange viewing glass

Post by bruno84st »

Hi!
I'm playing EB2 on Ubuntu 9.04 (AMD Athlon64 3000+, 512MB RAM, Radeon9600), managed to solve problems with higher glibc
requirements, tnx to obiwan, encountered few crashes/segfaults on some maps i.e. entering "Cape Sorrow" from south (through some graveyard in Fellpine forrest), but managed to work my way around. But when right clicking on "Strange viewing glass" in inventory, the game crashes. It's similar to the "View finished quests" bug in linux ver. prior to 1.03b (maybe?), only that crash produced output in terminal, but this one freezes the game, mouse is dead, sound and music is playing normally, but no keyboard input is possible. System doesn't respond to any key combination (in fullscreen or windowed mode). Only thing I can do is hard reboot. I was unable to find any similar problem with that particular item on the forums, so any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. Sorry for typos and bad english
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Game crashes when clicking on Strange viewing glass

Post by SpottedShroom »

Interesting. I would presume that the crash is related to the visual effect that the glass is supposed to create. What kind of video card do you have, and for ATI/NVIDIA, do you have the latest drivers? Also, it couldn't hurt to know what distribution (and version) you're using.

We'd obviously like to get to the bottom of this problem, but in the meantime it's worth noting that you don't need to use the glass to complete the game. Using it helps you find a particular concealed location on one map, and you need to have it in your inventory at one point, but actually using it isn't strictly required. If you've gotten to that point (or don't care about spoilers), post here and someone will tell you how to find the concealed location without using the glass.
bruno84st
Pledge

Post by bruno84st »

Tnx for replying.
I have ATI Radeon 9600 video card on Ubuntu 9.04 with open source drivers that came with the distro. I'm aware that ATI drivers for linux are not so good as those for nVidia cards, and Ubuntu reps are a bit lagging behind with driver versions for ATI. I've tried my luck with proprietary drivers few times before, but since i ran into a whole series of problems with other programs, I decided to revert back to OS drivers cause, for me, they produce the most stable system performance.

Actually, I've found the entrance with brute force :) by combing the map for an hour and a half (man, I love this game), and posted this topic cause when i started playing the game while ago, figured that I wont be able to finish the game without using that item, and so after scouring through the forums and finding nothing similar, decided to mention it to you.

I've encountered few other minor graphical errors/glitches (i.e. grid markings even if the TAB key isn't pressed, on some maps), but thats all due to the bad drivers as you mentioned. But nothing that prevents me from playing this beautiful game.

If I encounter something else I'll post it in this thread. Tnx for help. Cheers!
obiwan
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by obiwan »

I also have the freeze with the viewing glass on a machine with an older radeon. And I am about 90% sure it is due to the game doing something which the ati driver does not like. Have not really found the urge to debug it yet (instead i spend time on hacking the game to play in 1024x600 so I could use it my newer netbook; PS: that is your job BW!).

Perhaps I return to the radeon driver if I ever get a holiday.