Which Book II ad works best?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!

Which ad would you more likely click?

I like banner #1
22%
I like banner #2
78%
I don't think either banner is effective
No votes

Total votes: 23

CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Which Book II ad works best?

Post by CrazyBernie »

+1 for #3... I even tried to click on it! 0_o
geishaboy
Marshall

Post by geishaboy »

I think I still like number 2 the best, however number three is pretty awesome too

Didn't care for the first one (suprised it got the most hits)

But didn't we already come to the conclusion that advertising through google costs too much? (In a previous thread) Are you going to give it another go?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

geishaboy wrote:Didn't care for the first one (suprised it got the most hits)
Yeah, I think someone said it best a few posts back: that banner probably got a lot of hits by people thinking it was a new D&D campaign or an Action RPG. Once they saw that it was an old-schooler RPG, they probably left pretty quick.
geishaboy wrote:But didn't we already come to the conclusion that advertising through google costs too much? (In a previous thread) Are you going to give it another go?
Penny Arcade is giving me a 4 week advertising campaign that it worth, well, a lot of money. There is a long story behind this which I don't know if I can talk about right now- it's nothing bad like a huge lawsuit settlement; it's more like a gift. More on it later, but for now I just want to take maximum advantage of this exposure.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

Banner 3 for me too.
quasimodo
Marshall

Post by quasimodo »

3>2>1
dot_sent
Initiate

Post by dot_sent »

Third one is the best, IMO. If you want to target people who will buy game then you should give more actual info about what to expect from it. The word "RPG" plus some in-game action picture should really do the trick :)
kenoxite
Apprentice

Post by kenoxite »

BTW, why not mention "old school" in the ad? Or maybe "classic"?

Most of us bought it or gave the demo a chance based on that premise. And it's definitely a plus point for the type of players you look for. As I see it, the Eschalons are niche games, so target them (us). We're quite a lot, if you look at the success of sites like gog.com.

Also, things like "award winning series" would fit there, and it's not false as long as you don't specify book 2.

It's an ad, don't sell yourself cheap :)
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I definitely like banner #3 the best. It gives a good idea about the kind of game Eschalon is - plus it looks classy.
Viktoras
Marshall

Post by Viktoras »

Simplicity is BEST! The more simple the add (just like illustrations) the better job it will do. I wouldn't recommend trying to tie in too many things.....all you need do is get their attention ....once they TRY the demo they'll know exactly what kind of game it is and whether they are interested....for this reason I love the #3 add choice....accomplishes all that with the most simple of adds nothing is cluttered.....
Never trust a grinning DM!!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I'm late to the party, but I agree that 3>2>1
zengrey
Apprentice

Post by zengrey »

My vote is for 3 as well.
Desmone
Initiate

Post by Desmone »

Count me in for 3 / 2 / 1 too.

My original vote (before the days of 3), or actually before I scrolled down through the messages and found option 3, was for number 2.
KarlXII
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by KarlXII »

kenoxite wrote:BTW, why not mention "old school" in the ad? Or maybe "classic"?

Most of us bought it or gave the demo a chance based on that premise. And it's definitely a plus point for the type of players you look for. As I see it, the Eschalons are niche games, so target them (us). We're quite a lot, if you look at the success of sites like gog.com.
I fully agree with this post.

Personally my curiosity would be raised by something like...

"True to the origin of RPGs"
"As RPG:s was meant to be"
"When using your mind does matter!"
"When you're tired of hack´n slash!"
"Back to when you where hooked by the story"
"When tale and imagination meant everything"
"Do you miss the old days ?"
Aldbeski
Marshall

Post by Aldbeski »

the third banner for sure
P.s : excuse my bad English

Didn't reach my expectations (Eschalon Book 3)>> But Still, A Great Game nevertheless
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Karl:
Eh... . I don't think I'm all that into those kinds of taglines. They're sort of detractive. (Is that a word, by the way?) In my opinion: if you can make a single image speak for itself, then it's best to let a single image speak for itself. This banner does that, I think. Most banners have vanity graphics, so to speak: images that do not appear in the actual game and therefore don't actually describe the game. This banner describes the game in an image -- at least as much as you could hope, I guess... I mean: just by looking at this banner, most people should have a pretty good sense of what kind of game it is. People like us who like modest, isometric-style games are likely to be curious and will click it to find out more. People who like strictly FPS games and 3d rendering will not click on it and so will not have their time wasted. I think it works really well.

Well... the only thing I would add, come to think of it, is "PC and MAC". Put that someplace discreet, and I think you'll get more Mac users clicking on it. Mac users are starved for good games, unfortunately.

Yeah: replace the "DOWNLOAD the DEMO" corner-banner -- since curious people will find out anyhow if there's a demo -- with a "PC and MAC" corner-banner.

I'm willing to bet that that will get you more clicks, BW.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.