Need a new game

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
geishaboy
Marshall

Need a new game

Post by geishaboy »

I'm looking for a new RPG and open to suggestions. Preferably something basic in terms of graphics and such, but big on story, stat and character building ect...

Web based/online RPGs are ok as are older/DOS RPGs

Currently playing Tibia and Angband, but neither really pull me in very much

I have played most of the more well known titles or at least tried them

So please, reccomend me something :!:
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Need a new game

Post by Randomizer »

If you have a Mac, Avadon: The Black Fortress will be out in 2 to 3 weeks from Spiderweb Software.
Jumping Jack
Initiate

Post by Jumping Jack »

Well you could give a list of what you've played so we'd know what not to recommend.

I'm currently replaying Arcanum for the first time in a while. Some of the best character building ever IMO and the story isn't bad.

Dungeon crawl stone soup and DoomRL are the best roguelikes around currently, you should happily ditch Angband in favour of them :wink:
geishaboy
Marshall

Post by geishaboy »

I feel like I've played everything :lol: I gave Arcanum a spin a while ago, decent game

I haven't tried Stone Soup though, I will definitely check it out, thanks!
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

If you haven't already you may want to give Divine Divinity a spin. You can get it all-types of cheap from GOG and it's very Diablo-like (which in turn is sorta rogue-like like Angband) but with more emphasis on story. Regardless it's a great game that will keep you occupied for many, many hours.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
geishaboy
Marshall

Post by geishaboy »

I just had a quick play on Dungeon crawl stone soup and I am very impressed, I'm sure it will keep me occupied for a while

Will also give divine divinity a go if I can find it, thanks!
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Here are 2 games I've discovered, one is still in production but bares watching for it later this year. The other I'm playing off and on as my wrists hold out. It's click heavy. Check them both out to see if your interested. (They were mentioned in Din's Curse forums)

1. ToME4 (one I'm playing) http://te4.org/
ToME4 (Tales of Maj'Eyal) is a roguelike, but is very interesting. The author has diverged somewhat from the standard the roguelike genre , for example, several of the advanced character classes need to be unlocked in order to play them via quests or achievements. There are no potions or scrolls, no eating requirements, and after an early quest, most items are auto-ID'd, so the player can concentrate on tactical combat and how to best use skills and not item management. There are also four difficulty modes, two of which include some ability to resurrect and take less damage, which allows new players to get a good feel for the game without the difficulty and permadeath of most roguelikes. The other two modes are normal roguelike (no advantages and permadeath) and insane, for the masochists.

Even without the advanced classes, there are many character types to play, and each one has a fairly extensive skill system to develop from.

There are tiles for graphics (still in development) as well as ascii. Although still in beta (beta 19 was just recently released) it is very playable and IMO a lot of fun. I think that anyone looking for an interesting, newbie-friendly, turn-based RPG might want to check this out.
2. A Valley Without Wind
New adventure/rpg hybrid from the developers of AI War:

http://www.arcengames.com/w/index.ph.../avww-features

What is A Valley Without Wind?

A Valley Without Wind, or AVWW for short, is an action-adventure game focusing on exploration in a post-ice-age world. It's actually set in the far future -- far enough that all recognizable landmarks and land masses have been wiped from the earth. Magic has surfaced in this ruined world, and is the sole reason that most of the scattered survivors have managed to keep themselves alive. Not only have they had to face the bitter cold and worldwide glaciers for centuries, but new terrors fill the now-wild world.

Great fissures have been rent in the earth, and quite a few unpleasant things have crept forth. Unusually hardy mutations of plants thrive despite the lingering snow at the tail end of the ice age, and many of these plants have deadly adaptations that threaten the surviving humans. As a direct result of all the monsters, most survivors are alone or in very small groups, living off their wits and their magic to survive. It is a bleak existence.

You begin the game with a character in such a situation. But your character isn't content to cower in caves and ruins. Setting out on an adventure that will span regions and even -- if you desire -- continents -- the character can bring together other survivors into settlements that have a better chance of surviving. The wilds will be explored and mapped, and the greatest evils lurking both above and below ground will eventually have to be faced.
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
KarlXII
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by KarlXII »

I am also looking for a new RPG, preferrably an old dos-box game released somewhere between 1993 and 1999.

Have someone played Fairy Tale Adventure II - Halls of the Dead ? I loved the first one from 1986 but lack the manual for the Dos-box game.

I am also wondering if it is worth it to play Stone Prophet, Menzoberranza, Eye of the Beholder III or Lands of Lore. I missed them all in that time since I was still with the Amiga back then.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

KarlXII wrote:I am also looking for a new RPG, preferrably an old dos-box game released somewhere between 1993 and 1999.

Have someone played Fairy Tale Adventure II - Halls of the Dead ? I loved the first one from 1986 but lack the manual for the Dos-box game.

I am also wondering if it is worth it to play Stone Prophet, Menzoberranza, Eye of the Beholder III or Lands of Lore. I missed them all in that time since I was still with the Amiga back then.
Yeah, me too. :( (on Amiga till around 2000)
Unbeliever
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Unbeliever »

For what it's worth, I just completed Divine Divinity for the first time, and LOVED it. (Thanks GOG.com!) Frankly, it felt surprisingly much like an Eschalon game -- solid story, comfortable interface, good graphics.

No restrictions by character type on which skills you get to choose from (though it's a good idea to start as a fighter -- their "special move" is way more useful than the other character types get).

It even has unlockable teleports, similar to Eschalon's "Quick Travel".

You can bash barrels -- but you're gonna have to find a key or boost your lockpick skill to get into chests...

If you're a diehard take-everything-that's-not-nailed-down-to-sell-later type, you'll quickly find that that's not necessary (or even possible) -- gold is easy to come by, and there is SO MUCH "stuff", you never really need to buy anything. (You could spend your life trying to collect and sell it all...)

(If you're a cheater-type like me, Divine Divinity also has two *AWESOME* cheats for cloning items that make it even HARDER to run out of cash.) ;)

So yeah, highly recommended. Now I'm looking for my NEXT D&D RPG fix... :)
Jumping Jack
Initiate

Post by Jumping Jack »

KarlXII wrote:I am also wondering if it is worth it to play Stone Prophet, Menzoberranza, Eye of the Beholder III or Lands of Lore. I missed them all in that time since I was still with the Amiga back then.
Lands of lore is awesome and has voice acting by Cpt. Jean-Luc Picard :D More simplistic than dungeon master or d&d games, fewer stats and spells. Has an automap and everything, definately not as hardcore. Fun though. Highly recommended.

Since Westwood was busy making that game so they didn't make EoB 3, it's by SSI. Apparently it might not be as good as the first two.
McSilly
Initiate

Post by McSilly »

Ashen Empires :D

Or the 2d Older version,.. Dransik!

They are both free to play MMOs.
justin_ruch1180
Pledge

Post by justin_ruch1180 »

Randomizer wrote:If you have a Mac, Avadon: The Black Fortress will be out in 2 to 3 weeks from Spiderweb Software.
How much will this cost??
Men should take prosvent. You have to try the camcorder hdr-cx150.Check this site out. It's all about affiliate marketing.
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Post by llew silverhand »

McSilly wrote:Ashen Empires :D

Or the 2d Older version,.. Dransik!

They are both free to play MMOs.
Wow Ashen Empires looks like it got a graphics upgrade since I last played it!
Llew Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

justin_ruch1180 wrote:
Randomizer wrote:If you have a Mac, Avadon: The Black Fortress will be out in 2 to 3 weeks from Spiderweb Software.
How much will this cost??
Probably around $25.
Let me go check...

edit: Last Avernum game cost $28, so probably that price. In a few weeks, it looks like..for Mac. PC a bit later.