Complete List of Portal Allowed Locations

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: Complete List of Portal Allowed Locations

Post by IJBall »

Jedi_Learner wrote:There are 56 locations in Eschalon: Book II and 21 of them don't allow you to use the Portal spell.
Yeah, I've put this is in the new "Needed (Bugs) Fixes for v1.06 List", as I suspect a number of these locations aren't meant to be "magic dampened" like this.

P.S. Is there an easy way to check for this using xolotl's map editor? Is that how you came up with this list?

P.P.S. If anyone wants to compare this list to the 'allowed camping spawns' list, just click on JL's earlier Complete List of Camp Encounters thread.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

OK, this is all IMO (of course!), but parsing JL's list:

Places you should likely be able to use the Portal spell:
  • Farrock Caves: Level 1
  • Ironpool Dam (Interior and Lower Level)
  • The Convent's Well
  • Southern Kessian Basin
  • Northern Hellice Lake
  • Northeastern Hellice Lake
  • Western Hellice Lake
(Is the "theme" of the first three that you can't use Portal in 'below-ground' locations, perhaps?...)

Places you should maybe(?) be able to use Portal spell:
  • Port Kuudad Sewers (I'd prefer it, if you could here...)
Places you likely should NOT be able to use Portal spell:
  • The Guild of Crius Vindica
  • Lorewitch: Level 2(?) (and Level 3 too, right?! or maybe just all of Lorewitch?!...)
  • Lost Westwillow
  • Fathamurk (all)
  • Hammerlorne Mine (all)
  • Hallows of Abigor
  • Talushorn (all)
(Again, many of these are 'below-ground' locations, so maybe that is one of the limitations of the Portal spell?...)

So, that's at least 8 (maybe 9) out of the 21 maps that don't currently allow Portal casting that probably should allow it (at least, from a 'game-play' standpoint...).
Last edited by IJBall on November 22nd, 2011, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

•The Guild of Crius Vindica <== You can however portal to just outside the entrance and then it is just a very short walk into the place, so really not an issue on this site.
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

IJBall wrote: [*] Lorewitch: Level 2(?) (and Level 3 too, right?! or maybe just all of Lorewitch?!...)
Lorewitch level 1 is probably the most important to fix. You can actually make the portcullis puzzle unsolvable by using Portal on this map.

Personally, I'm in favor of allowing Portal basically everywhere. I'm not a big fan of repeated long walks through maps you cleared long ago.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

SpottedShroom wrote:
IJBall wrote: [*] Lorewitch: Level 2(?) (and Level 3 too, right?! or maybe just all of Lorewitch?!...)
Lorewitch level 1 is probably the most important to fix. You can actually make the portcullis puzzle unsolvable by using Portal on this map.
Good point - I think I'd just change it so you can't Portal anywhere inside Lorewitch.
SpottedShroom wrote:Personally, I'm in favor of allowing Portal basically everywhere. I'm not a big fan of repeated long walks through maps you cleared long ago.
This is my biggest reason for wanting Portal's use to be allowed in places like the Port Kuudad Sewers (though I guess it's more important that Portal be allowed in the Thieves' Arcadia which, apparently, it already is).

But, yeah - unless there's a "magical reason" that Portal is disallowed (e.g. Talushorn, Hammerlorne, Lorewitch, probably Fathamurk), my strong preference is for Portal to be "allowed" (even in 'below-ground' locales...).

Ironically, though, my bigger 'bete noire' is the lack of 'camp encounters' in a number of the maps, which is the topic I covered in JL's other thread today...