Stupid character stat question

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Sudz28
Pledge

Stupid character stat question

Post by Sudz28 »

I have glanced through the Users Manual and unless I missed it, it doesn't really explain stats such as "Armor rating" or "To Hit" as an absolute number. Is a higher number or a lower number better for these things? In a classic D&D type RPG, Armor Class is generally understood to be "lower is better"... so an Armor Class rating of "2" is better than an Armor Class rating of "4" (for instance). This doesn't appear to be the case with Eschalon (it looks like a higher number is 'better', although it's hard to tell from simply putting on and taking off armor due to the unskilled penalty thing), and figured I'd better ask and look like an idiot than end up with a needlessly dead character.
Thanks!
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Stupid character stat question

Post by Vroqren »

Besides - you're no more of an idiot than any of us when we started. We're here to help, there aren't many dumb questions.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

Ive got a question about shops. Do the shops in eschalon book 1 restock every week or so? I want to know as i am out of arrows :(
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

deathknight1728 wrote:Ive got a question about shops. Do the shops in eschalon book 1 restock every week or so? I want to know as i am out of arrows :(
Yes, every 7 days.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

Man i gotta say, i used to think that shields were useful in book 1. I just reloaded after pouring 3 points into shielding only to give no bonus whatsoever to my armor class. I figured that with shields it would have a bonus other than being able to just use them.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

deathknight1728 wrote:Man i gotta say, i used to think that shields were useful in book 1. I just reloaded after pouring 3 points into shielding only to give no bonus whatsoever to my armor class. I figured that with shields it would have a bonus other than being able to just use them.
At the moment I don't recall if it's the same in book I, but in Book II, shields also have a chance to deflect any ranged attack (2%/level, if I recall correctly).
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Jedi_Learner wrote:
Sudz28 wrote:Is a higher number or a lower number better for these things?
Higher is better.
Yes, and if you pop up your 'character info' button while looking at 'inventory' stuff along with character figure on screen, you can put items on and watch what goes up or down. Up is better. :lol: '+' on armor is good. +3 is all you can add yourself using alchemy skill, but you can find some +4 items - very rarely though.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!