Surviving the Dragon?

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
wolf
Apprentice

Surviving the Dragon?

Post by wolf »

Has anyone tried to survive the dragon flame?

Seems pretty hard but not impossible with protective armors and spells?
Sslaxx
Council Member

Re: Surviving the Dragon?

Post by Sslaxx »

I think it does at least 800 points of damage. If you do survive, the game just carries on to the Erubor/Malkur choice cutscene.
Last edited by Sslaxx on February 18th, 2014, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I have not, but I've certainly thought about it. I think it counts as explosive damage rather than fire, so Element Armor won't help. There's no to-hit roll, so armor probably won't help you either. I would probably just build a character with maximum HP, but I don't know if it's possible to get enough to survive.

Even if you did, I think probably it wouldn't get you much. You'd just be able to enter the dialog again. It's possible it would let you get close enough to the piles of gold to loot them, though. I think I looked at the map file and they're not decorative - there is actual gold there.
Ssschah
Council Member

Post by Ssschah »

I wore 3 pieces of fireproof armor, including dragon skin armor, and used a sparkling divinity. I survived one blast, but the other four destroyed ALL my armor (including the fireproof stuff) and dealt hundreds, if not thousands of damage. I was at 328 hp.
Sucks too. I wanted to smite the vile wurm! Jk, dragons are too awesome to be slain.

On another note, if you kill the barrean warlord Alundar, and finish the game, etc. I highly doubt the guards would continue to bring the old beast sheep. And considering it said it was too large to leave, would it starve to death? Or is there some secret escape deep within its hole...
Last edited by Ssschah on February 18th, 2014, 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

As Spotted Shroom said, it's explosive damage, so the fire proof armor doesn't even help. I think the damage is random, and maybe even dependant on character stats. When I went in with my mage who had 57 max HP, it only brought me to -550 HP, which is 600 damage, not thousands. It's something to try with the character editor - Endurance level of over 9000.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I've seen the dragon do "as little" as 639 HP. My calculations show it's probably a lost cause, but I'll probably try just for the fun of it. I've never done a character build with the sole purpose of getting max HP.
Ssschah
Council Member

Post by Ssschah »

SpottedShroom wrote:I've seen the dragon do "as little" as 639 HP. My calculations show it's probably a lost cause, but I'll probably try just for the fun of it. I've never done a character build with the sole purpose of getting max HP.
My first book 2 character win ever was full endurance and a little strength. About 450 hp... the only downside was the hitchance. 26% hit chance against taurax is no laughing matter! Nor is picking a lock with a 1% chance...
kelticpete
Council Member

Post by kelticpete »

I used the character editor. I took my HP to 500, put a bunch of abilities really high. tried with set of rings magic resisteance of 99 and rings giving element resistance of 99. got murdered both times.

maybe If you maxed out endurance at character creation and kept doing so you might survive.

i tried crazy high stats but it crashed game.
Pax,

Pete

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is the Great Pink Vorpal Bunny. Copy and paste Pink Vorpal Bunny on your signature to help gain Pink Vorpal Bunny gain world domination!
Kaylon
Initiate

Post by Kaylon »

If you put every single point in constitution and use every item with hp bonuses it's possible to reach over 700hp at lvl30 and survive the dragon's breath. However there's nothing you can do after that because Malkur will intervene directly (you basically skip the dialog with the dragon) and the ending goes as usual.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Congrats! I'd love to see a screenshot of you surviving the dragon breath. I tried a max HP character but wasn't able to get high enough.