Ultra high-level dungeon with alternate ending

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Ultra high-level dungeon with alternate ending

Post by SpottedShroom »

I'm working on a mod that will hook into the Fandugan exit and lead to a very, very difficult puzzle-heavy dungeon for high-level characters. I think there are still a few corners of the game engine that haven't been explored in official content and I'm looking forward to exposing them to the world :)

Note that unlike official content, I'm not going to be providing multiple ways through for different build types. For example, you should probably know most of the spells in the game before heading in. I'm also going to provide an alternate ending to the series in this mod. I'm using the Fandugan exit because it's going to be a proper non-savegame mod and that's the provided end-of-game attachment point, but I certainly won't consider this to be the "community recommended" Fandugan and won't be offended if others develop alternative Fandugan mods.

Since this is a pretty new direction for mods, I'm curious to hear what people think.
Calathon
Marshall

Re: Ultra high-level dungeon with alternate ending

Post by Calathon »

Sounds nice to me and I am already curious how it will look like. :)

However, I am not sure if I understood you right concerning savegames, character level and some other things:

- I do not have to start a new game but can load a savegame from before the mod´s installation in order to play?

- I have a fighter character who knows only some basic spells, like heal, detox, lore, cat´s eyes and so on, but no advanced spells like fireball, cure ailment oder even supernova (due to wisdom / intelligence limitations). Does this mean I cannot survive your mod or will it just be very hard? On the other hand, I have a spellcaster character who knows most of the spells but has no armour, no weapons and only a low amount of hitpoints. Would this character have a better chance of surviving?

- What does "ultra high-level" exactly mean? The characters mentioned above are level 17/18 but I personally would not speak as "ultra high-level" of them. :wink: So, will a level 18 character be sufficient, provided he meets the requirements?

Last but not least: when can we expect to install your mod? :D
"It is early morning, quiet and peaceful."
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Calathon wrote: However, I am not sure if I understood you right concerning savegames, character level and some other things:

- I do not have to start a new game but can load a savegame from before the mod´s installation in order to play?
All the previously-released mods are "savegame" map files as opposed to "global" map files. That means they must be installed by copying into your savegame slot directory, and if they touch existing maps they'll reset them to their initial state. Mine will be installable by copying files into the "mods" folder, as described by BW here: http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... =34&t=9243
I have a fighter character who knows only some basic spells, like heal, detox, lore, cat´s eyes and so on, but no advanced spells like fireball, cure ailment oder even supernova (due to wisdom / intelligence limitations). Does this mean I cannot survive your mod or will it just be very hard? On the other hand, I have a spellcaster character who knows most of the spells but has no armour, no weapons and only a low amount of hitpoints. Would this character have a better chance of surviving?
The challenges that I've implemented so far are mostly not a matter of surviving so much as being able to continue or not. And creating a build that can complete the dungeon may almost be a challenge of its own.
- What does "ultra high-level" exactly mean? The characters mentioned above are level 17/18 but I personally would not speak as "ultra high-level" of them. :wink: So, will a level 18 character be sufficient, provided he meets the requirements?
That was probably a bad way to put it. I mean "high-level" primarily as the skill level, not the necessary level of the character. A level 17/18 character could certainly have the necessary items and abilities to complete it.
Last but not least: when can we expect to install your mod? :D
Probably in a couple of weeks :) I've got a text file of concepts. I implemented about half a dozen already, and I've got about the same number to go, although some of them are more complicated. But I don't know how much time I'll have to work on it, and I hope to think of some more along the way.
Calathon
Marshall

Post by Calathon »

Ah, okay, thanks! But to be honest I cannot think of any puzzle that needs a certain combination of skills (or mastership of a single skill) to be solved. I mean, traps can be disarmed or simply endured (well, except for the disease transmitting ones) doorlocks can be picked or bashed... maybe the dungeon is that big that you need to be able to cast "draw water" and/or that "gruel-spell". Or maybe one need to repair a certain item which unlocks a door, insulates from electric discharges or something like that. :wink:

Anyways, I am looking forward to the mod and its new kind of challenge. :)
"It is early morning, quiet and peaceful."
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Calathon wrote:Ah, okay, thanks! But to be honest I cannot think of any puzzle that needs a certain combination of skills (or mastership of a single skill) to be solved. I mean, traps can be disarmed or simply endured (well, except for the disease transmitting ones) doorlocks can be picked or bashed... maybe the dungeon is that big that you need to be able to cast "draw water" and/or that "gruel-spell". Or maybe one need to repair a certain item which unlocks a door, insulates from electric discharges or something like that. :wink:
You'll see :)
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Sounds intriguing! I'm looking forward to playing it. And nice to have another Book III modder creating content!
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

MyGameCompany wrote:Sounds intriguing! I'm looking forward to playing it. And nice to have another Book III modder creating content!
I'm certainly not the modder you or WH are, but I hope people will find it enjoyable.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

SpottedShroom wrote:
MyGameCompany wrote:Sounds intriguing! I'm looking forward to playing it. And nice to have another Book III modder creating content!
I'm certainly not the modder you or WH are, but I hope people will find it enjoyable.
It's Eschalon... What's not to enjoy? :D
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Since WH is posting status updates in the other thread, I suppose I ought to do the same. I'm about 90% done with the core of the dungeon - I have about two more room ideas to implement and one to finish up. That will leave the above-ground area leading to the dungeon, and the finale. I'm not sure how long those will take, but I'd estimate I'm maybe 60-70% done in total right now.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Looking forward to it, Shroom. I'm just about to dive into Weird Heather's Moonrise expansion. Already through her Rockhammer mini stuff and both of Troy's terrific expansions (Rockhammer Mine level 3 I actually have one bit I haven't been able to figure out yet, but I've cleared Western Mirkland). I've been doing everything a bit out of order, though.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I'm happy to announce that the dungeon itself and the alternate ending are both 100% complete. All that remains now is some Fandugan content to link them to the existing game. I hope to have the finished mod available by next week.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

SpottedShroom wrote:I'm happy to announce that the dungeon itself and the alternate ending are both 100% complete. All that remains now is some Fandugan content to link them to the existing game. I hope to have the finished mod available by next week.
Just the sort of news I was hoping to find when I popped in this morning. :)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

Sounds great Mr. Shroom, I look forward to dying numerous times in your dungeon! :o
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

AK_Marty wrote:Sounds great Mr. Shroom, I look forward to dying numerous times in your dungeon! :o
It's posted here: http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... =34&t=9333

Although a new version is coming very soon - probably later today.