Another Test, New Features!

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Another Test, New Features!

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

A quick note about the latest internal test done over the long weekend....

The game is making excellent progress and lots of positive feedback was given. The guys had a lot of great suggestions to the further improve the current system.

One point that was made is that with the game being so strictly Skill based, the concept of character Class becomes almost pointless. As a result of that discussion we will be implementing elements to make each Class more unique, such as granting some class-based bonuses.

Also, we have said in the past that attack options (backstabbing, aimed attacks, etc.) would be introduced after Book I, but we have decided that these important Class-based abilities should be brought in now to further enhance the unique aspect of each Class. The rules already support this feature, so we just have to turn on the code...

To give you an example of Eschalon's special attacks, Rogues will have the classic "Backstab" option for sneak attacks; Rangers will get "Killshot" for aimed, one-arrow kills; Fighters will get "Berzerk" for delivering damage to multiple adjacent foes in one round. Magick Users will get "Psionic Rage" and Healers will get "Divine Call".

We will update the Q&A to reflect these changes!

[edit] Updated the subject line line to make more sense... :?
Last edited by BasiliskWrangler on October 26th, 2006, 10:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

I like this decision alot.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

*Rubs hands in gleeful antiscipation*

Sounds good! :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Indeed, if there is to be a class system, there has to be a reason to choose one class over another. Do classes give different skill access in any way? Different combat strengths?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

All Skills are available to all Classes, so you will be able to craft a very unique character without having to adhere to certain Class restrictions.

Class selection grants a free Class-specified Skill at the start of the game (for example, Rangers get the Bow Skill automatically), as wells as specialty attacks and secondary Skill bonuses as your character advances.
dteowner

Post by dteowner »

I really like it when a game forces you to make choices on character builds. Compare MM6 to MM7-- given enough time in MM6, a fighter could/would have the exact same skills and abilities as a mage. MM7 introduced class limits so a fighter would never be the same as a mage. Disarm traps in MM7 was an excellent example of this--if you chose not to take a rogue, you were going to have to suffer the consequences. An evil monk wasn't a bad alternative, but it was going to be a while before he had enough skill to make it work, and you were locked into the evil line.

Give me tough choices. Make me balance it all out. Force me to sacrifice something to get something else.
Sanctus
Marshall

Post by Sanctus »

I like that ideea :D:D
Do a great job
May the sky never fall on your head