Swords, Cleavers or Bashers?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
sapper_astro
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Swords, Cleavers or Bashers?

Post by sapper_astro »

Going to start a new game soon, and wanted to know what people here thought of the different weapon types. Are any of them plainly better than the others? I used Swords on my first playthrough, and they did the job even though I remembered seeing quite a few good cleavers and bashers around.
dryden
Apprentice

Post by dryden »

I used a sword my first game and it was ok. Then someone posted how much they liked the axe, so I did Cleaving for my next game and I like it much better. Plus I found a 2500 gp axe somewhere when I was playing sword, I am still looking for that axe in my new game.

Also using Bless when you battle has some great results (I learned in my second game).
sapper_astro
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by sapper_astro »

I used a sword my first game and it was ok. Then someone posted how much they liked the axe, so I did Cleaving for my next game and I like it much better. Plus I found a 2500 gp axe somewhere when I was playing sword, I am still looking for that axe in my new game.

Also using Bless when you battle has some great results (I learned in my second game).
Yes. I saw that Axe as well. It seems to have a love affair with divine ore if I remember correctly
Josia
Senior Steward

Post by Josia »

dryden wrote:Plus I found a 2500 gp axe somewhere when I was playing sword, I am still looking for that axe in my new game.
SPOILER wrote:The axe is in the same cave as the Divine Ore, near Loneloft in Northeastern Crakamir
dryden
Apprentice

Post by dryden »

Josia wrote:
dryden wrote:Plus I found a 2500 gp axe somewhere when I was playing sword, I am still looking for that axe in my new game.
SPOILER wrote:The axe is in the same cave as the Divine Ore, near Loneloft in Northeastern Crakamir
Ah Ha! I need to finish Vela, then I will go on that Quest. Thanks!
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

I'm a basher, give me a Hammer. I've just been brute forcing my way through doors, chests, barrels, whatever. Who needs lock picking.......except in Blackwater where they apparently didn't take kindly to my door bashing. Luckily I kept some +3 lock pick gloves around for just an occasion.
sapper_astro
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by sapper_astro »

What have been the best weapons found so far in the game?
Loriac
Senior Steward

Post by Loriac »

sapper_astro wrote:What have been the best weapons found so far in the game?
AFAIK, Lillith's sword, and the axe mentioned in this thread are the best weapons in the game. There is a nice blunt weapon too, I forget the name but something 'shatter' seems to ring a bell.

On balance, I think the choice is really between swords and cleaving - cleaving gives you the weapon in this thread, which to my mind is the best melee weapon for casters, period - the damage to weight ratio is excellent, and you can easily get the needed strength to use this one and still cast. However, its the only really nice cleaving weapon, the rest of them really aren't all that good.

For weapons you find normally, swords are definitely the best - you have a much better mid-range selection, and the top weapon, Lillith's sword, is the best damage weapon in the game.

Blunt I would just avoid completely - they provide no benefit I can see, and are heavier to boot.
Sakar
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Sakar »

Nice to see that there's some good weapons out there other than Swords.

The only thing missing is allowing Fighters to pick a weapon specialty during character creation instead of being forced with Sword. :evil:
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

What are the stats for Lillith's sword? When I finished the game I was using a diamond-edged Claymore with a base damage of 9. I upgraded it to +2 Damage and +2 ToHit. If I am not wrong I assume Lillith's sword cannot be upgraded?
History is written by the winners!
Psilon
Initiate

Post by Psilon »

Divine Ore Greatsword--too heavy to cast with, but base damage 11 and it is upgradable.
sapper_astro
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by sapper_astro »

Thats one hell of a sword.

Jack Thompson would be interested in a game that promotes murderous backstabbing in order to get the best weapon ingame ;)
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

Loriac wrote: There is a nice blunt weapon too, I forget the name but something 'shatter' seems to ring a bell.
Skullshatter iirc, but you get it so late that it's hardly worth waiting for (it's the one the bee-cave goblin pointed you at).