just how balanced and bug free is the game?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Effidian
Steward

Re: Unbalanced

Post by Effidian »

leonhartt wrote:Agreed on the last part. It's hard to play as a pure rogue in my opinion.
Hide in Shadows and fighting at night is your friend. Once Hide in Shadows gets higher, you can hit and not break your hide.

Lots of skills though to get as a Rogue though. It is a shame that you don't get more skill points as a Rogue, but then everyone would start as a Rogue and do whatever they want. You'd have to figure out some trade off for that.

Also, I didn't invest in Move Silently with my second Rogue start, and haven't regretted it so far. This helped me quite a bit, as my first Rogue I used a lot of points on it.
Benedict
Initiate

Post by Benedict »

Effidian wrote:
leonhartt wrote:Agreed on the last part. It's hard to play as a pure rogue in my opinion.
Hide in Shadows and fighting at night is your friend. Once Hide in Shadows gets higher, you can hit and not break your hide.

Do you do additional damage hitting from hidden? Or is it just that they can't hit you?
Effidian
Steward

Post by Effidian »

Benedict wrote:Do you do additional damage hitting from hidden? Or is it just that they can't hit you?
They just can't hit you.
chamr
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by chamr »

noirsoft wrote:I would agree with everything DTravel has said about the game not being balanced, or at least having a lot of tedious elements. I would add:...
You're missing the point of this game. Most of the conveniences you're looking for are counter to the basic principle behind this game: old school. That, in part, means that you have to make tough decisions and some sacrifices and that the path is often difficult. It is decidedly not the overly user friendly approach of most current RPG's. If this doesn't appeal to you or you find it tedious, that's OK. But to ask Thom to make the changes you suggest is to completely undermine the whole idea behind the game's design in the first place.
Agleth
Pledge

Post by Agleth »

Benedict wrote:
The VERY limited number of skill points really screws up rogues as well. They need to be good in light armour, a weapon, hide in shadows, move silently, pick locks, skullduggery, survival, divination so that they can get cats eyes, find hidden so that they can spot the traps (and a rogue build is probably going to have a low perception so they need a few points in the skill to even equal a mage who's just pumped it as their primary attribute). Plus any generic skills like lore or cartography. By contrast a mage can just pump elemental magic and meditation (and if they just pump those and save their skill points from character creation to use up at level 2 they can be throwing around level 6 firebolts with the maximum mana regeneration rate) and everything else is a bonus.

It's a tricky one, the tendency to go for a skill based system with initial choice of class being a minimal effect makes it difficult to give different classes different skill point allocations, but when you've got a rogue who needs to be quite good a few different things it makes them seriously weak. Maybe balance the start differently, e.g. give rogues and warriors several starting skills against only one for mages or healers but make it very expensive to pick up divination or elemental magic as a secondary skill.

Rogues also need some kind of bonuses to sight and combat in the dark, maybe on the grounds that they're more used to being in the dark. And fighters need some kind of special attack modes.
I have to agree on the rogue skill crunch. I like how the class plays, frail during the day, deadly by night. Carefully sneaking through dungeons clinging to the shadows on the look out for traps (and loot ;) ), picking where and when to fight is all alot of fun, but you get spread terribly thin trying to pull it off. I'm only level 4 or 5 so far, and I'm doing ok, but that's with a lot of after the fact metaing of skills and some save and reload cheese with chests. (I might have been able get by without that if I had read the forums more thouroughly to begin with and better optomised my starting skills, and held out for an absurdly good stat roll... But that all does seem like a bit much. Perhaps when they get around to improving the manual it'll help some.)

I'm wondering if maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to combine some of the skills though (It would screw up the 8 stats / 24 skills symmetry, but I'm not sure what else you could do about the problem without changing the starting skill sets for the classes.), like: Hide and Move Silently into Stealth (or whatever name you like) or Pick Locks and Skullduggery into... I'm not really sure what kind of a name you'd give it (perhaps just keep Skullduggery ?) but they do seem to fit together well enough thematiclly as they're both subverting delicate mechanical devices. Rolling a reduction of the darkness to hit penalty into the spot skill could provide a non-magical means for a rogue to improve their night fighting skills as well.

I've also seen several people suggest switching Short Blades to Dex and Speed which seems like a good idea as well. Maybe add parrying daggers as a "shield" (if that's possible with the engine, maybe for book II ? ;) )keyed to the Short Blade skill with less armour than normal shields (shield armour ratings would probably have to be bumped up to make room, but they seem fairly low anyway for requiring their own skill and all the hassles that come with using them) but with a small damage bonus (~+1 for most, maybe +2 for the best ones) ?

Anyway, those are just some thoughts I've had about the rogue balance issue, overall I really enjoy the game, it seems to have a nice bit of an Ultima feel to it.

-Agleth
Noceur
Initiate

Post by Noceur »

I currently use bless and leatherskin as my only buffs, and my "tank" can take on mobs. With Cat's eyes and Predatory Sight (sp?) I sometimes fight at night, due to the added advantage. Other than that I'm mostly pure melee, bashing chests left and right with a cheap mace.
I also bought some Throwing (trainer) to finish off Acid Grubs and stuff.

I have to agree that without heal (or alchemy, I presume) it can get real tedious and rough on the economy to play a fighter.

The point is, I've only got the extra skills to support my character's melee devotion and it works. My character (lvl 10-11) deals around 22 dmg per hit (48 crit is the max I've seen so far, I believe). People fall before my Barbarian like wheat before a farmer. I mostly don't really need the bless (and certainly not leatherskin), but they were very helpful a few levels ago.

The problem might be items. I'm not sure my character would be half as effective without the items he's got. I've got three items which boost dex, ToHit and damage (although the dmg difference is minimal).

btw. After upping my Concentration along with Dex my ToHit went up a lot.
DTravel
Initiate

Post by DTravel »

chamr wrote:
noirsoft wrote:I would agree with everything DTravel has said about the game not being balanced, or at least having a lot of tedious elements. I would add:...
You're missing the point of this game. Most of the conveniences you're looking for are counter to the basic principle behind this game: old school. That, in part, means that you have to make tough decisions and some sacrifices and that the path is often difficult. It is decidedly not the overly user friendly approach of most current RPG's. If this doesn't appeal to you or you find it tedious, that's OK. But to ask Thom to make the changes you suggest is to completely undermine the whole idea behind the game's design in the first place.
There are reasons why much of that "old school" that you talk about isn't included in modern releases. And "user unfriendly" =/= "old school".

I understand that the developer is trying to recapture the feeling he had playing RPGs ten and fifteen years ago. I work as a programmer myself and I am impressed by how solid and bug-free the program is. But I also note how short the play testing was and know from experience that it wasn't anywhere near long enough to address play or game balance issues. I have a pretty high tolerance for tedium so long as I can feel that progress is being made. That's an important point and its missing here. And even a cursory reading of the posts in this forum makes it obvious that magic is grossly overpowered.

As for the "you're not managing your character's development right".... To start, the player has to have more information on how things work to do that. As I've said, I can't find a manual. There doesn't appear to be one in the digital download and I still haven't yet received my disk copy so I have no idea if one is included there. If there is and it is as short as someone indicated then I seriously doubt there is detailed character development information and guidance included.

Second, if there is absolutely no room for the player to make any mistakes or to vary from the apparently extremely strict character development alluded to, he's going to be out of business fairly quick. Deliberately giving the illusion of open storyline or free play while actually requiring strict adherence to a hidden script is a recipe for player frustration.

In short, while the coding was very well done the game design and testing/polishing are severely lacking IMO.
dak
Marshall

Post by dak »

There is a manual in the same folder as the game. The reason some people complain this game is too hard, is because todays RPG's are so dumbed down it is ridiculess!!
Josia
Senior Steward

Post by Josia »

DTravel wrote:As for the "you're not managing your character's development right".... To start, the player has to have more information on how things work to do that. As I've said, I can't find a manual. There doesn't appear to be one in the digital download and I still haven't yet received my disk copy so I have no idea if one is included there.
As has been pointed out several times previously, there is a manual. Please actually look for it instead of erroneously complaining that it doesn't exist.

You do have some legitimate (if overblown) criticisms. However, it takes a lot of the meat out of your posts to have you seemingly ignore the answers and responses and continue to expound your opinion based on limited experience as Truth.
leonhartt
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by leonhartt »

To make things simple, the manual can be found at:

Start>All programs>Eschalon Book I>Eschalon Player's Manual.
DTravel
Initiate

Post by DTravel »

Josia wrote:
DTravel wrote:As for the "you're not managing your character's development right".... To start, the player has to have more information on how things work to do that. As I've said, I can't find a manual. There doesn't appear to be one in the digital download and I still haven't yet received my disk copy so I have no idea if one is included there.
As has been pointed out several times previously, there is a manual. Please actually look for it instead of erroneously complaining that it doesn't exist.

You do have some legitimate (if overblown) criticisms. However, it takes a lot of the meat out of your posts to have you seemingly ignore the answers and responses and continue to expound your opinion based on limited experience as Truth.
Riiiiight. Found the "manual". Personally, after thoroughly reading it (took all of five minutes) I find it to be a joke. It also didn't answer a single one of my questions.

As for Truth, I have only posted my opinions and personal experience. But now that you have clearly shown me what kind of forum and game this is, I will leave you with these parting words. Learn the difference between direct personal experience and second-hand information.

Bye.
Forest
Initiate

Post by Forest »

I found 2 bugs in the last version of the game (1.0.3):
1. The message about too heavy weapon for casting spells doesn't appear sometimes;
2. The result of the first right mouse button's click in the spell selection dialog (M) after mouse wheel scrolling is the scroll list by 1 line down.
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

1) is not a bug it is a feature, to save you having to shuffle your equipment round. You are allowed to cast while overweight if you are not in a battle type situation 9no monsters around).

Since shuffling around took 0 rounds before, it could actually have been done anytime, but I think it takes a round of action now.
Loriac
Senior Steward

Post by Loriac »

There seems to be a huge range of opinion on whether this game is balanced or not for the different classes - a lot of people seem to have a hard time with rogues, some even seem to have a hard time with mages (!).

Personally, I think the game is not challenging enough once you understand the mechanics.

And I think a large part of this difference in opinion is peoples preconceptions about the classes.

This game is not dnd. A rogue character is not necessarily a weak character skulking in the shadows, who has to use cunning because he's not strong and only uses stabby weapons.

A mage character doesn't have to wander round in robes using blasting spells and a small dagger.

A warrior doesn't have to wander round with a 2 handed sword but too dumb to write his own name, let alone use magic.

etc.

Quite frankly, what some people are asking for would hideously unbalance the game. If the rogue got more skill points, the game would be laughably easy. If the mage got more mana, or more mana-efficient spells, same thing. You play a single character in this game. As such, you need to create a flexible skillset that can deal with different situations. Pumping 25 points into lockpick will make you the best lock picker in the Eschalon gameworld. It will also mean your character sucks. At the start of the game, you don't need high levels in the rogue skill sets; by mid level, you will comfortably be able to do most 'thief-like' activities with a few skill points in each relevant skill. If you want to really optimise, you'll pick up magic skills to round out your skill set rather than relying purely on rogue skills alone. And for the first 3-4 levels, you can still fight almost as well as a fighter who's invested in swords, or cast magic almost as well as a mage or healer if you put a few points into the respective skills.

Theres a reason why building characters is so flexible in this game. If you don't make use of this flexibility, and you create a character that sucks, then thats your problem. It does not mean the game is too hard.

Most of the old school games I have played were ridiculously harder than this game. E.g. Wizardry 8 - this game is so hard that you have to play the first few hours over and over until you start to work out what kind of party might work. Even then, you can find after a few more hours of play that the tactics you thought worked, actually don't. However, some people play Wizardry 8 with solo characters(!). Eschalon, with all due respect, doesn't even come close to being as hard as Wizardry 8.

Fwiw, I think if you have the patience, its possible to win this game using the 'Pauper' challenge as listed on the thread about Eschalon challenges. Its certainly possible to win the game by using and raising only one skill ever. The thing is, in order to do this, you have to understand the game mechanics and use them to your advantage. That is what old school was all about...
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Loriac is right.

I think the game really is too easy, but if we made it much harder we would have had many [more] people complaining about it. It was a tough call to determine how hard the game should be.

During testing, the inside group agreed that it would be better to have the game a little too easy rather than a little too hard. We can always bump the difficulty of the game up after a while (for example, by adding a long and difficult quest) but if we released a game that was just too hard for most people, we may never get those customers back even if we made it easier.

I think we made the right call, and now that we have a better understanding of our customer base, we can tweak this game and future games to be more challenging.