Minimalist Character?

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Minimalist Character?

Post by Vroqren »

I don't know if any of you have played an old side-scroller (kind of, anyway. Not really sure how to classify it) called Cave Story. I think it's a wonderful game. Anyway, throughout the game your character gets more health by picking up "health capsules," which are finite in number. So of course a group of people started playing "3HP" (the starting amount) runs, where they would never pick up a single one. I tried this myself, and could not get past the second-to-last set of bosses (for those who know the game, I got to the balcony fights, but could NEVER beat Undead Core).

I think this is a really fun concept though, and I wonder how feasible it is in Eschalon. I had a character who had so many points in Endurance that getting crushed by a portcullis in Fathamurk didn't kill him (though the game registered him as 'in a wall,' so he couldn't move and I had to restart anyway). But is the opposite feasible? A character who has minimum hitpoints (intentionally roll 7 for Endurance, never put more points into it)? Or a character who finishes the game at level 1? I feel like I've seen that done, but I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly.

I don't have time right now to try this character, but I'd like to sometime later, maybe over the summer. But I'd love to hear what you guys think / see your ideas.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Minimalist Character?

Post by Painted Lady »

Vroqren wrote: January 12th, 2021, 10:53 pm I think this is a really fun concept though, and I wonder how feasible it is in Eschalon. I had a character who had so many points in Endurance that getting crushed by a portcullis in Fathamurk didn't kill him (though the game registered him as 'in a wall,' so he couldn't move and I had to restart anyway). But is the opposite feasible? A character who has minimum hitpoints (intentionally roll 7 for Endurance, never put more points into it)? Or a character who finishes the game at level 1? I feel like I've seen that done, but I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly.
You are remembering correctly - there was an amazing minimalist run through done several years ago. IIRC it was Book I. The post might have been lost when BW transistioned to the current bulletin board.

The guy finished the game with very, very low numbers. Can't remember what his atrtributes were, but he only leveled up a couple of times and only had a couple of hours of game play. He explained how he did it as well.

I would be lots of fun to give that sort of character a try....
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: Minimalist Character?

Post by blatherbeard »

Painted Lady wrote: January 14th, 2021, 10:26 am
Vroqren wrote: January 12th, 2021, 10:53 pm I think this is a really fun concept though, and I wonder how feasible it is in Eschalon. I had a character who had so many points in Endurance that getting crushed by a portcullis in Fathamurk didn't kill him (though the game registered him as 'in a wall,' so he couldn't move and I had to restart anyway). But is the opposite feasible? A character who has minimum hitpoints (intentionally roll 7 for Endurance, never put more points into it)? Or a character who finishes the game at level 1? I feel like I've seen that done, but I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly.
You are remembering correctly - there was an amazing minimalist run through done several years ago. IIRC it was Book I. The post might have been lost when BW transistioned to the current bulletin board.

The guy finished the game with very, very low numbers. Can't remember what his atrtributes were, but he only leveled up a couple of times and only had a couple of hours of game play. He explained how he did it as well.

I would be lots of fun to give that sort of character a try....
I think i remember this. If im not mistaken he or she snuck around a lot.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.