Dungeon building

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Dungeon building

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I've been making some good progress on the new RPG. #BasilisksNextGame

See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: Dungeon building

Post by blatherbeard »

nice! kind of reminds me of a high def version of the pit trap deaths of my friends game Malevolence! :)
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Also saw you post this on Facebook. Looks cool. Anticipating more info as you have things developed.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

Post by Prismatic Maelstrom »

A dungeon crawler in the style of Legend of Grimrock and Vaporum?
Book II and Book III Soundtrack on YouTube | Thaermore Revisited - A Mod for Eschalon: Book I
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Is it now a dungeon crawler or is it still a space ship oriented game? Either way, I can't wait :D
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote: March 7th, 2023, 4:41 pm A dungeon crawler in the style of Legend of Grimrock and Vaporum?
God i hope not personally. Thought those games were so overhyped and the puzzles were far more annoying than fun imo.

but if it IS ill still play it LOL
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote: March 7th, 2023, 4:41 pm A dungeon crawler in the style of Legend of Grimrock and Vaporum?
Yes!
blatherbeard wrote: March 8th, 2023, 11:55 am God i hope not personally. Thought those games were so overhyped and the puzzles were far more annoying than fun imo.
:lol: :D

So, Eschalon was a grid-based RPG. This is too, but in first person. I don't like the puzzles either- I never finished Grimrock 2 because I was too frustrated with the puzzles. Our game will be more exploratory and quest based, not relying on exclusively on puzzles that are traditional in this genre. I am not even putting pressure plates in the game. :P

Also, like Eschalon, this is fully turn based whereas those other games were real-time. Like Eschalon, you perform an action and then the rest of the world will take their action.

And yes, this is our sci-fi RPG (the ongoing saga of a game that has been in development for 10+ years!) If you look closely at the image, you can see the light on the ceiling beyond the gate is electrical, not a torch. This section just happens to take place at the very bottom of a secured mine shaft.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Be still my beating heart! Turn based! I absolutely cannot wait.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: March 8th, 2023, 5:07 pm
Yes!
blatherbeard wrote: March 8th, 2023, 11:55 am God i hope not personally. Thought those games were so overhyped and the puzzles were far more annoying than fun imo.
:lol: :D

So, Eschalon was a grid-based RPG. This is too, but in first person. I don't like the puzzles either- I never finished Grimrock 2 because I was too frustrated with the puzzles. Our game will be more exploratory and quest based, not relying on exclusively on puzzles that are traditional in this genre. I am not even putting pressure plates in the game. :P

Also, like Eschalon, this is fully turn based whereas those other games were real-time. Like Eschalon, you perform an action and then the rest of the world will take their action.

And yes, this is our sci-fi RPG (the ongoing saga of a game that has been in development for 10+ years!) If you look closely at the image, you can see the light on the ceiling beyond the gate is electrical, not a torch. This section just happens to take place at the very bottom of a secured mine shaft.
Very nice! My buddy's game is constantly compared to LOG AND LOG 2 couldt be more wrong. First his came out first, second his game has zero puzzles and is a roguelike, third its the only truly infinite game made which he invented his engine for, also fully turn based grid game first person.

Its not for everyone, but i like it. The graphics are DEFINITELY throwback for sure ha ha.

I personally have over 1k hrs in it as a alpha, beta tester, customer and kickstarter backer.

like i said not for everyone but i enjoy it here and there. Def not a perfect game and has some bugs but overall its fun for me.

the dev has only made this one game and likely wont make another because of health reasons, helping his grandfathers farm in tazmania, and taking up blacksmithing and has become very good at it.

Malevolence the sword of Ahkronox is the name for anyone interested.

I def am psyched that this is gonna be a similar type of game just looks a lot more modern and not set in dungeons ha ha.

Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Painted Lady wrote: March 9th, 2023, 6:25 pm Be still my beating heart! Turn based! I absolutely cannot wait.
I'm with you, Painted Lady. Very happy it will be turn based. My life is too scattered for real time. I keep forgetting to pause and go off to do something and come back to characters complaining they're bored. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
alvinru
Pledge

Post by alvinru »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 4:48 pm I've been making some good progress on the new RPG. #BasilisksNextGame
Unity or Godot?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

alvinru wrote: April 13th, 2023, 10:30 am
BasiliskWrangler wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 4:48 pm I've been making some good progress on the new RPG. #BasilisksNextGame
Unity or Godot?
Back to Unity. Godot has a lot of potential, but I just can't get behind their use of a proprietary scripting language, and their C# support just feels like a neglected child. I worked for several weeks at getting the current engine ported over, but after hitting several walls and not finding efficient solutions, I just gave up. Unity may not be perfect, but I am so much more comfortable using it.
Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

When I saw the pictures, the Shadowgate theme started playing in my head.

Are you going to make the game atmospheric, kinda like Shadowgate? I mean, I will buy it regardless, but...
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Leezar wrote: April 18th, 2023, 5:09 pm When I saw the pictures, the Shadowgate theme started playing in my head.

Are you going to make the game atmospheric, kinda like Shadowgate? I mean, I will buy it regardless, but...
Completely different game here, but yes, we are working to keep it very atmospheric based on the subject.
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

Post by Prismatic Maelstrom »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: April 13th, 2023, 1:27 pmUnity may not be perfect, but I am so much more comfortable using it.
What do you think about recent developments with Unity? Do you see your company being affected?
Book II and Book III Soundtrack on YouTube | Thaermore Revisited - A Mod for Eschalon: Book I