Easy Start for Mages

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
greg0828
Initiate

Easy Start for Mages

Post by greg0828 »

People say warriors are much better and easier than mages and I would say it just takes less thought. I started with 28 int, level 6 arcane, and level 5 alchemy with druid religion. Out doors your mana regen is insane. In the dungeons use potions to heal. In dungeons and graveyards you are more likely to get attacked while sleeping anyways so the lower regen in dungeons is nothingl. I found a book for +2 alchemy in 5min of playing. When leveling I put 1 more point in arcane and the rest in alchemy till level 15. This means I can make level 3 mana potions which currently still heal all my mana. For armor and weapons there is nothing like geting +3 items at level 3.

I also got the trainer for cartography to go from level 0-5 and used a skill book to get to level 7 with shows everything you need on the map. Did it while still being level 1.

Later in the big battles fotified mana cuts your mana costs down in 1/2 so the high mana spells become woth it. The advantage with mages is they always hit and they are range. They also have spells to protect from range attacks and are very resistant to magic. Warriors dont always hit and will be attacked more.
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

you misunderstand the issue. First, let me help clarify this. The issue with Mage/Warrior is not a low level. Everyone agrees mage is more powerful starting off. The issue comes in play when you are mid-to-high level and the monsters get tougher. You use a level 5-6 spell which eats up a good chunk of your mana and it takes 2-3 to kill one monster. You end up running out of mana after 2-3 monsters but you are fighting 4-5, and you don't have the melee skill to win toe-to-toe. So you run away, have to rest, and then come back. Your spells don't go up in damage at higher levels. Where as a warrior is gaining constant improvement to the base damage and added damage of their melee skill due to better items and the bonuses from strenght/speed/skill. Which never stop going up. So wait to say there is no issue until you are in double digit level for mage and fighting raptors and the such. If you still feel the same let us know.
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
greg0828
Initiate

Post by greg0828 »

I went into the Dark Tower (the place where you go into the back entrance) and killed the raptor on the 3rd floor no problem. My guy was level 5 and already has 90mana no item mob.

For battles that take large mana use fortify mana. Cuts mana cost in 1/2. Also, for multiple raptors try to get them to group together to use fireball.

If the creature is at 1/3 hp or less just melee him to death. Save the mana.
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

fortify mana only lasts 10rounds so is useless when fighting larger groups.
greg0828
Initiate

Post by greg0828 »

10 level 6 fireballs will rape large groups of enemies. 10 rounds is enough.
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

only if you are lucky enough to have them clustered in the same area. You don't always have that option.

Plus a pure mage cannot go in and "just melee them" when all their points have been put into magic not melee skills. Even with some points in shortblade. Your strength and other stats are not built towards that end if you build pure mage type character.