Are there downsides to heavy armor?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Warmskin
Apprentice

Are there downsides to heavy armor?

Post by Warmskin »

I'm playing a character that is a mix of magic user and fighter. I have a 2-3 points in light armor (I'm only at lev 7 so far). My question is: Are there penalties for using Heavy armor? I'm thinking of getting at least 1 point in it but as you know that takes 3 skill points to do so. Does my magic get limited? Anything else other then 'silence' that goes negative once equipped with H.Armor? Thanks.
Samsword
Initiate

Post by Samsword »

Not as far as I know. I'm just a stickler about skill points, so I didn't put Heavy Armor into my repitoire of skills... but you can if you want, and still cast spells. :wink:
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Samsword wrote:Not as far as I know. I'm just a stickler about skill points, so I didn't put Heavy Armor into my repitoire of skills... but you can if you want, and still cast spells. :wink:
Or you can hope to find a book of Heavy armour skills to read and save 3 skill points for something more important.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Warmskin
Apprentice

Post by Warmskin »

Dragonlady wrote:
Samsword wrote:Not as far as I know. I'm just a stickler about skill points, so I didn't put Heavy Armor into my repitoire of skills... but you can if you want, and still cast spells. :wink:
Or you can hope to find a book of Heavy armour skills to read and save 3 skill points for something more important.
Hmm... Does that book become available fairly soon? Or is it completely random? Is it found in a certain area only? I really wish sometimes **4** points became available at level up instead of 3. :D
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Books are somewhat random, but certain ones appear in each area more often.
Daemian Lucifer
Senior Steward

Post by Daemian Lucifer »

I prefer not mixing those two,but focusing just on one tipe of armor.Light armor appears more often in the begining,but offers less protection.It is also lighter,so if you dont have high strenght,its the one you should use.But I did manage to find the book of light armor in one of my plays when I started with heavy one,so you may end up lucky as well.
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

I, too, started with heavy armor and found a book of light armor fairly quickly. There does seem to be more light armor available at first, although you can buy some heavy armor, and it starts appearing later. I have noticed that, at least in the early game, more of the magical armor is light armor.

jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk