Giants-Are they supposed to be friendly??

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Gracie P.
Initiate

Giants-Are they supposed to be friendly??

Post by Gracie P. »

I meandered into the Giants camp in Rotwood.

Strolled around for bit and to my surprise, they "had nothing to say to me". They were quite docile and when I opened the chest and took the key, nobody batted an eye. When I was leaving the camp, and was assaulted by those acid grubs, I walked back into the camp and they kindly finished them off for me.

Is this the way the giants are supposed to act or were they in awe of my terrifying presence? :lol:
Elwro
Senior Steward

Post by Elwro »

From my experience the black minotaur things also fight acid grubs if you lure one group to another. Maybe "fight acid grubs if possible" is the default behaviour of every creature, even if it's hostile towards you :-)
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

I haven't reached the giants, yet, so I don't know. But I did come across some weird behavior with some Noximanders attacking a Fungal Slime. Also, when some thugs (random encounter while I was resting) chased me into Aridell, the town guard joined in the fight.

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Re: Giants-Are they supposed to be friendly??

Post by Dragonlady »

Gracie P. wrote:I meandered into the Giants camp in Rotwood.

Strolled around for bit and to my surprise, they "had nothing to say to me". They were quite docile and when I opened the chest and took the key, nobody batted an eye. When I was leaving the camp, and was assaulted by those acid grubs, I walked back into the camp and they kindly finished them off for me.

Is this the way the giants are supposed to act or were they in awe of my terrifying presence? :lol:
No, its a case of 'if I ignore it long enough it will go away'. Also, one of them will talk to you if you have been given a quest from a person in Shadowmirk. If you do the giants a favor, you get the key and their help later in the game.
But I'm not sure if those quests will work now that you have that key. You could store it somewhere, go get the quests and return. Probably be given a 2nd key, 1 of which will not disappear at the appropriate time. :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Ameefmu
Initiate

Post by Ameefmu »

I remember, when you release the salamanders, noximanders and the carniraptor from their cage in the dungeon.
I somehow got the raptor to begin fighting with the 'manders.
Sat back, relaxed and in the end, i had only a severely weakened raptor to deal with.

I love this mechanic :)
Nice job Basilisk.
What is an Ameefmu?
Maelstrom
Steward

Post by Maelstrom »

only problem is that you reap fewer XPs. No biggie with the 'manders, but I prefer to kill everything myself. :twisted: :twisted:
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

You can wait until they are almost dead then hit them with a ranged weapon or a spell and still get the experience. I used to do that with raiders that were being attacked by militia ships in the Escape Velocity games, but for status rather than experience.

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk
Bamboozled
Initiate

Post by Bamboozled »

I think if you reload a save in any battle, if the hostile creatures are different species (human thug vs. goblin) then they will attack each other.
"I'm so bamboozled!"

-Bamboozled Celtic Guardian
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

The giants are a pretty friendly lot once you gain their trust. You have to perform a certain quest for them. If you prove your friendship, they become very helpful near the endgame. But you must speak with the headmaster at Shadowmirk so he can tell the giants you are coming.
History is written by the winners!
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

I like it when mobs interact like that. One game that did a particularly good job of it was Ryzom. There were herds of herbivores that would ignore you unless you attacked them and there were small groups of carnivores that would hunt them down and chase them. It really made the world feel a little more alive when the mobs were hunting and living and dying regardless of whether you were there or not.