Where's the Beef?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: Where's the Beef?

Post by KillingMoon »

RasterOps wrote:No, even with 6 Mercantile skill I have no money.
That's what I was trying to say; when I had a few levels + haggler's hat it was just a marginal difference that this made. I was thinking it was better to invest those points in other skills.
30 gold for a room would be ~25% of my total. Unacceptable!
I'm not so sure... you could go a lot further on a full stomach and pick up things that earn you back that investment of 30 gold and more.
I'm getting frustrated. Although I made it to Everdale, I reloaded and am back in Eastwillow. Not enough money, too many misses and combatants seemingly too tough; yeah I gave up.
Oh, no! My advice: sleep a couple o' nights (real life nights), keep reading this forum to brush up your knowledge of the game, and then start up a new game with fresh ideas!

Hopefully more experienced players will have a look at your setup. I don't want to comment too much, because I don't know that much either, however, if you've been mainly using your bow, I guess a thing like Concentration would help you more than Strength. And Dodge, Light Armour and Spot Hidden will not help a ranger much either. Somewhat, yes, but I believe better results are to be gained in this game if not spreading out those points much. Go with a master of one thing rather than a jack of all trades.
arlinora
Initiate

Post by arlinora »

I'm up to about 10 in mercantile, and it makes a big difference for me. When I buy something, instead of twice the value, it's only 1.6 times the price. And selling, instead of half the value(50%) I'm getting 75%. That may not sound like much at first, but if I sell something worth 400 gp, I get 300 instead of 200. And since I'm selling expensive stuff now, it makes a really big difference.
"It's like a Zen koan - if you say something stupid, and no one is there to hear it, are you still an idiot?"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade, www.penny-arcade.com
LilyParker
Pledge

Post by LilyParker »

I'm elemental mage with alchemy & foraging. Foraging slows the hunger & I can also sell the reagents for food money, (or better) mix the reagents & sell the potions.

But any character type can have foraging so I'd suggest maybe learning that, or try divination & learn the "Create Food" spell.

If you do those you'll never be hungry.

Failing that, do as Marshall says and turn off the hunger/thirst rule
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

You spread your stat points out too much. If you don't want to miss as a Ranger, you should be pumping points into Dex/Con for +ToHit/Damage.
RasterOps
Apprentice

Post by RasterOps »

KillingMoon wrote: <snip>

Oh, no! My advice: sleep a couple o' nights (real life nights), keep reading this forum to brush up your knowledge of the game, and then start up a new game with fresh ideas!

Hopefully more experienced players will have a look at your setup. I don't want to comment too much, because I don't know that much either, however, if you've been mainly using your bow, I guess a thing like Concentration would help you more than Strength. And Dodge, Light Armour and Spot Hidden will not help a ranger much either. Somewhat, yes, but I believe better results are to be gained in this game if not spreading out those points much. Go with a master of one thing rather than a jack of all trades.
CrazyBernie wrote:You spread your stat points out too much. If you don't want to miss as a Ranger, you should be pumping points into Dex/Con for +ToHit/Damage.
You guys are right about mastering a skill. This game like so many others basically favors characters that focus rather than those, like me that try do more than one thing at a time. My skill and attribute points are more spread out, less focused. This makes it harder to deal with monsters that level and ARE focused. They hit, I miss, I'm dead.

So, I did start another game. I got rid of Spot Hidden and Dodge, and added Elemental and Repair (was spending too much money repairing gear). This is my, still unfocused, character. My combat Skills are being split between a Sword, Bow and Elemental Magic. While my attribute points must be distributed between 6 stats... Sheesh, no wonder.

I believe Magic rules this game. Something like a Fire Dart almost always hits, rarely being interrupted. Whereas, bows and swords, etc. have a chance to hit based upon numerous factors including darkness. I found at level 7, a skeleton archer (in the dam) was nearly impossible to hit with a sword (to dark to use a bow) but a Fire Dart saved me; 22 points in Strength and 17 points in Concentration were not enough.

I do like the aspect of Hunger and repair in games. I just think games like the "Antara and Might & Magic" Series did it better. I'm sure that's debatable. Everything is far too rare in this game. A player shouldn't be forced to use the Foraging skill. Although Foraging is the only way to acquire ingredients...

So Foraging will make "my" Food issue moot. And I get ingredients.

Spoiler:
An Alchemy Skill Book can be found in the lower level of the Dam, SE corner. If you don't have the skill it will be added. If you do, I presume you will gain a skill point in Alchemy but I don't know for certain.
  • 1. You must have spoken to Minus about the lost town of Westwillow, W of Eastwillow, SW shores of Greenriven lake
  • 2. Now talk to Brudo in the dam. Be sure to recite the blessing.
  • 3. Follow the dungeon path to the Pump room. One of the black molds will drop a key. Probably in the room to the right.
  • 4. Now go to the left corridor passing between two tall braziers. You will also pass by a room that looks like a Smith's shop. It is safe to rest here.
  • 5. The next room SW is a storage room. To the east is a locked door that is opened with the key you found.
  • 6. Follow this corridor east and north to a large room with a lever. Switch the lever to open a NE gate.
  • 7. Open each consecutive gate and follow the corridor around through a door to an open room.
  • 8. For me @ level 7, two skeleton archers were waiting around the corner
  • 9. To the N is a room with an unlocked chest containing the skill book
[/color]
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

WRT your spoiler, I do not believe that is a guaranteed find. I think it was just random luck.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

'Luck?' With all those wells in the game, sofar I've been thinking 'Draw Water' was a dispenseable spell!
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

KillingMoon wrote:'Luck?' With all those wells in the game, sofar I've been thinking 'Draw Water' was a dispenseable spell!
I'm finding 'Draw Water' invaluable. Early on in the game, I got too thirsty too many times and had to leave dungeons, etc. just to find water. I have a fighter with just one spell, draw water. It really saves me.
RasterOps
Apprentice

Post by RasterOps »

Krafen wrote:WRT your spoiler, I do not believe that is a guaranteed find. I think it was just random luck.
I'm not that lucky. :lol:

I suppose we need some confirmation then. I'm starting another character... :)
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

RasterOps wrote:
Krafen wrote:WRT your spoiler, I do not believe that is a guaranteed find. I think it was just random luck.
I'm not that lucky. :lol:

I suppose we need some confirmation then. I'm starting another character... :)
I've been through there 5 times and the chest contents are random. The sword and battle axe that you find in the weapon racks will change metal type (base damage) based upon your level when you take them.

There are no places in the game where you will find the same book each time except for Ruel's book on the Orakur.
RasterOps
Apprentice

Post by RasterOps »

Yep. My new PC just robbed the priest in Eastwillow. I found a Light Armor book. Since I already had this skill, two points were added to it. So I guess I was lucky, both times. It's also good to know contents are random, as I shouldn't count on finding any specific skill book.