Compendium of Locations (MASSIVE SPOILER)

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Saintmagician
Initiate

Re: Compendium of Locations (MASSIVE SPOILER)

Post by Saintmagician »

ohhh... that's smart :D

I have that spell but never thought to use it on a NPC, I figured even if I succeeded it would turn the NPC hostile / be considered a crime.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Randomizer wrote:Halls of Abigor

(36,196) entrance from Brimstone Lava Fields

Central island
(32,122) portal to (35,118)
(35,118) portal to (32,122)
(34,113) chest - locked [6] - Random
(36,116) chest - trapped [8] - Yara's Vengeance - Bael's Delight (piercing, 9 base, +4 piercing weapons, +3 magick damage, 1#, 5000g), diamond-headed arrows, random gold
(37,119) chest - trapped [8] - Yara's Vengeance - locked [5] - Random
Hey, I was just here:

But isn't it called the Hallows of Abigor?

Can anyone confirm this?

Also - was there any point to this map aside from the 3 chests? The lava field only takes up... maybe a third of the available map, so I'm wondering if there was more planned for this map originally...
Sslaxx
Council Member

Post by Sslaxx »

Saintmagician wrote:ohhh... that's smart :D

I have that spell but never thought to use it on a NPC, I figured even if I succeeded it would turn the NPC hostile / be considered a crime.
Sounds like a bug to me.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
tungprc
Marshall

Post by tungprc »

It's a great bug at Marci's or whatever her name is at the mercantile store in Port Kuudad. She has some great stuff in those chests, at least it was great at level 7 or 8. If it scales, then it should always be good.
Tecknomage
Apprentice

Post by Tecknomage »

Randomizer wrote:This is a massive spoiler so if you don't want to know then leave now.

This is a compendium of every container found in the game, both fixed items and random ones. If nothing is listed after the container then it means it's always or usually empty and I've never seen anything there. Some items are always the same type (weapon or armor) but may be random or increase in material with the character level when you find it.

Also a list of every lock and trap with their difficulty level, and bodies where I've gotten diseased although that doesn't seem to be as likely as Book 1. Sealed barrels usually have the damage needed to open them.

Quests are listed by the person giving them and include the rewards. Items needed for quests are marked as well as the bells (easter eggs).

I'm adding the experience and drops for killing named NPCs for those that want to know.

There will be an update when the game is expanded for new areas.
You fail to state the coordinate system you are using (x/y or y/x). On my US English version of Book-2 the default = x/y, but some of your locations do not match.

Example: The Wolf (aka Snow) Pups quest, your coordinates = (13, 157) but the den is NOT there, assuming y=13, x=157.

Please edit your post to include coordinate system being used.
Tecknomage
Guild Master
Mages & Fighters Guilds
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Tecknomage wrote:
You fail to state the coordinate system you are using (x/y or y/x). On my US English version of Book-2 the default = x/y, but some of your locations do not match.

Example: The Wolf (aka Snow) Pups quest, your coordinates = (13, 157) but the den is NOT there, assuming y=13, x=157.

Either you used a really bad example, or you're the one getting things mixed up.

Using the default coordinate system, x=13, y=157, the wolf pup den is clearly in the correct location.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Tecknomage wrote:
Randomizer wrote:This is a massive spoiler so if you don't want to know then leave now.

This is a compendium of every container found in the game, both fixed items and random ones. If nothing is listed after the container then it means it's always or usually empty and I've never seen anything there. Some items are always the same type (weapon or armor) but may be random or increase in material with the character level when you find it.

Also a list of every lock and trap with their difficulty level, and bodies where I've gotten diseased although that doesn't seem to be as likely as Book 1. Sealed barrels usually have the damage needed to open them.

Quests are listed by the person giving them and include the rewards. Items needed for quests are marked as well as the bells (easter eggs).

I'm adding the experience and drops for killing named NPCs for those that want to know.

There will be an update when the game is expanded for new areas.

Um. You said you assumed he was using x/y coordinates, and then you transposed his 13,157 to y/x. The wolf den is at x=13, y=157, as he stated with the standard (x, y) descriptor.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

tungprc wrote:If you have elemental magic, you can use the scare spell to move any townsperson away from the area for a little while. I forget what it's called but it causes a flash of magic. I use it all the time to steal :)
I feel cheated on!
If I'm investing a lot of skill points in Hide in Shadows and Pick Locks to get to certain goodies, I like to feel that not any other character can do the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, tungpr, nothing against you, I would do the same thing in your position, but this spell is unbalancing the game if it can be used in this way.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

KillingMoon wrote:I feel cheated on!
If I'm investing a lot of skill points in Hide in Shadows and Pick Locks to get to certain goodies, I like to feel that not any other character can do the same thing.
See, this is one of my favorite things in Eschalon, that different character builds can achieve the same objective in different ways. So, as always, it's "your mileage may vary."

Also, no matter how high your hide-in-shadows and pick locks, you will never get into the chest in the magic shop in Eastwillow without doing something to move the vendor. The woman in Port Kuudad near the marker is just a matter of being quiet and timing it well. Same with Becka and a couple others. I actually had Becka unlock and open her own bedroom door for me once. That was funny. I think she was flirting.
---

IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

KillingMoon wrote:
tungprc wrote:If you have elemental magic, you can use the scare spell to move any townsperson away from the area for a little while. I forget what it's called but it causes a flash of magic. I use it all the time to steal :)
I feel cheated on!

Don't get me wrong, tungpr, nothing against you, I would do the same thing in your position, but this spell is unbalancing the game if it can be used in this way.
I disagree with you - I like the way Sparkling Wonder currently operates, and I think BW reworked the spell so it could explicitly be used the way tungprc(CRPGnut!) used it.

That said, there are a couple of ways to maybe "rebalance" this spell in those contexts - 1) improve NPCs chances to "save" against the spell, and 2) if an NPC successfully "saves" vs. Sparkling Wonder then it could immediately become a "crime" situation rendering that particular NPC "hostile" to you from then on. (And, for all I know, the latter already happens if NPCs save against the Sparkling Wonder spell - I haven't experimented with it enough to check that...)

But, outside of maybe those couple of small changes, I like the way Sparkling Wonder currently operates - it is certainly a better spell now than it was as 'Dancing Lights' in Book I... :)
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

I haven't tried the spell at all, but it looks like Mages can do more or less everything.
So I'm also not a fan of spells like Lock Melt and Create Food. And if there is an Invisibility spell in the game I'm also against that one.

What I'm worried about is that Rogues, Foresters and Alchemists are losing their niche if spellcasters are getting a scroll for everything to match other skills.

But as I haven't used magic much, I'll shut up about it, because I'm basically reasoning from assumptions. And there's probably something good about these spells if more experienced players than me are liking them.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

KillingMoon wrote:I haven't tried the spell at all, but it looks like Mages can do more or less everything. So I'm also not a fan of spells like Lock Melt and Create Food. And if there is an Invisibility spell in the game I'm also against that one.

What I'm worried about is that Rogues, Foresters and Alchemists are losing their niche if spellcasters are getting a scroll for everything to match other skills.
Mages can do all of those things, indeed, but this is a single-player, single-character RPG. It's not a multi-player game where you balance "classes" against each other so that every player has a place in the game. It's designed so that there are numerous ways to complete almost every task in the game to increase the replayability for people. Try it out as a Rogue. Try it again as a Mage. See if you can make a playable "jack-of-all-trades," and so on. Eschalon is really a "classless" RPG. Your starting class only affects one starting skill and gives you an image in your mind to role play to.
---

SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Mages are definitely overpowered. The only thing I can think off the top of my head that they can't do with magic is spot hidden. Of course, they probably have crazy Perception in order to get good MP recharge rates, so they don't really need it.

I'm not sure what the best solution would be. Remove some spells? Introduce obstacles that magic alone has a lot of trouble with? Maybe the following spell changes would help:

1. Instead of disabling a lock, have Lockmelt (probably renamed) give a bonus to Pick Locks. Even at level 6, this bonus shouldn't be enough to open high level locks by itself.

2. Ditto for Trapkill and Skullduggery

3. Make all damage spells do either magic or elemental damage
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

SpottedShroom wrote:Mages are definitely overpowered... I'm not sure what the best solution would be.
One of the biggest differences between mages in Book 1 and Book 2, IMO, is the MP regeneration rate, which is awesome in B2 but anemic in B1. Not that a well-crafted mage in B1 can't kick ass, but there was never a point in B1 where I thought to myself, "hey, my mage is kind of badass now!" Largely because (again IMO) the higher-level spells simply couldn't be cast very often. If BW is looking to reduce Mage effectiveness, I think that would be the first place to look.

Mind you, I hope he doesn't, because I really enjoy playing nice powerful mages. :) I vote to keep 'em as they are.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

SpottedShroom wrote:Mages are definitely overpowered. The only thing I can think off the top of my head that they can't do with magic is spot hidden. Of course, they probably have crazy Perception in order to get good MP recharge rates, so they don't really need it.
Crazy perception, and level 1 of Supernova makes most hidden things smoke. ;) Won't always help spot a trap on a chest or door, but is great for finding all of the gems in the Farrock Caverns.
---