Steam?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Gorgon Rider
Marshall

Re: Steam?

Post by Gorgon Rider »

Yes, I know that and you know that. But to many people, making backups is inconvenient. People are, on the whole, basically lazy. Why go to all that 'trouble' when Steam backs them up for you? Many people are Steam lovers and won't use anything else.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Not to mention that they'd have to spend extra money on the removable media.
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

CrazyBernie wrote:Not to mention that they'd have to spend extra money on the removable media.
Fortunately the sixty cents for a blank CD is not going to break me. I have Book I on a disc I burned myself, after a hard drive crash and asking for a new download link. All my G.O.G. games are on disc now also.
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Gonna stickie this one. I'm still getting a lot of emails from people wanting Book II on Steam and I don't know when it is going to happen. They have the game. They could launch whenever they want...or they could decide not to launch it.

Please email them, or leave a message in their forums, if you want to see it there. Even if you have bought the game already from us, consider leaving them a message. Steam exposes our game to thousands of gamers that might never know about it any other way. It was an important source of revenue for us with Book I and we are depending on Steam for Book II sales!

Steam Forum topic for requesting Book II:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... p=15362693
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
TNoyce
Apprentice

Post by TNoyce »

Personally, given the choice I go directly to the developer or publisher for digital distribution. Steam is OK, but is not my preferred distribution platform anymore. Steam would probably get a higher rating from me, if I was into internet multi-player, which I am not. Too many bad experiences with on-line gaming back a few years. I have also used Impulse and GamersGate, and had a decent experience with both of these alternatives.

It is nice that there are options, as some of these services have games I would not be able to find any other way.
Tim Noyce
Raye
Pledge

Post by Raye »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Axiom wrote:Will there be a Steam version?

I played them demo and loved it. I was going to wait till the Steam version comes out.. but if it doesnt I might just buy the game normally.

c'mooooooon STEAM!!! :mrgreen:
You need to find an email address for Steam (Valve) and requst that they put Book II online. I have spoken with them and they agreed to put Book II up, but I don't know why they haven't yet.

I came here to ask the same thing, as I had heard you say it would be on Steam, so I figured I'd get it there, as well as 1... I'll try emailing them and/or posting int hat forum thread. weird that they agreed then never put it up, especially since 1 was already up there. Has Book 1 sold well on Steam?
XRsyst
Initiate

Post by XRsyst »

If I had to venture a guess, Steam/Valve didn't want to release Eschalon2 right before or during this huge sale they are having. It's really in BG best interest as EB2 would just get lost in the sales frenzy.

Also I would guess that Steam/Valve can't tell BG why they wouldn't release the game as the sale at the time (which would have been shortly upcoming) was probably under heavy NDA.

Further, would you want your game to go head-to-head with $5 Grand Theft Auto 4? :shock:
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Gorgon Rider
Marshall

Post by Gorgon Rider »

That's awesome, BW. Congrats! Hope this really helps kick up the sales numbers.
Rebelicious
Steward

Post by Rebelicious »

How come that Eschalon Book II is available on Impulse, but not Book I? :|
hakbart
Apprentice

Post by hakbart »

yay ! i bought the game today on steam just played for about an hour and i all ready love it !
I hope lots of people buy it ! :)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Rebelicious wrote:How come that Eschalon Book II is available on Impulse, but not Book I? :|
Book I was supposed to be available on Impulse. We sent them a copy to put online. Send them an email and ask about it.
Rebelicious
Steward

Post by Rebelicious »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Rebelicious wrote:How come that Eschalon Book II is available on Impulse, but not Book I? :|
Book I was supposed to be available on Impulse. We sent them a copy to put online. Send them an email and ask about it.
I'll grab one of the sales people on IRC later today and ask them about it, then. :?

Edit: They're working on it. :)
Axiom
Initiate

Post by Axiom »

Got Es II on Steam and so far I am LOVING it!!!

You did a great job on it Bas...

Oh and as for the question, "Why use Steam?" Its not to have to worry about storage on my drives. I am a Flash animator and designer by trade, and I have 4 external drives and 3 flash drives almost all filled with cartoons and animations I have done. Anything I can do to save on space makes me a happy Ax. :)

Here's to Es III!
mechkobe
Pledge

Post by mechkobe »

Simple question.

If i get Eschalon 2 from Steam, will it update automatically or will I have to download and install the patches myself ??

Thank you for answering.

// Mechkobe